You guys ever heard of this mechanic?

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2978 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This is the mechanic that was taught to me when I started 16 years ago.

If the PU points to BU with right hand with no verbal, or gives a relaxed ask, or comes after appeal with a relaxed ask, almost in a "i'm just doing this to appease the coaches" manner, then BU is to say "No, he did not", and mirror the PU.

If PU comes right away, sharp and crisp, or comes with the left hand, or with a verbal of "BU, did he go"-type ask, then BU is to offer his opinion.

Again, this is 16 years ago and time have changed to where the PU owned the dirt circle area and how dare you question his judgement. This "method" leaves a lot to interpretation of another's body language or intent. Can't say that I use this thought process anymore 

I'm glad to see that we've advanced to the point where umpires have to ask if we've ever heard of this mechanic, even if it does make me feel old(er).

OTOH, it's not a whole lot different from "taking off the hat" or whatever to indicate "I have some help for you if you need it."

• Like 1

It would be fun to go through that entire reddit thread and debunk or clarify all their "obscure" rules.

Half of those posts I didn't even realize were seen as obscure - hell the top post is about detached player equipment. I saw that called in a Cubs game on Fox saturday baseball when I was like 10, so I fell like I've always know about it.

On a check swing appeal, you never use your right hand to point----because it looks like a strike call. 

The left hand is used to point and get help on a play. Other variations are used like taking off your mask and pointing to mean, "I got this-go with my call." Or as many have pointed out, if the umpire comes up quick and points for help, he really wants what the BU has.

@Gfoley4 send a link to the site you got this from. This might be excellent material to teach guys what NOT to do and break down some of these stupid myths and mechanics.

• Like 2

I was taught if the UIC cleared F2 to the right, he wished he had called the last pitch a strike and wanted the BU to correct his mistake.  But, if the UIC were to clear F2 to the left, it was supposed to mean that he didn't think the batter offered, but would happily compensate the BU if he were to reverse the call.

Just joking, guys.  It didn't matter which side the UIC cleared F2.  It was if he took his mask off or not.  

Back when I started some of the "old dogs/big dogs" in my high school association pushed the view that the plate guy rules. Don't show him up by changing his call on a checked swing. We had mask on or off. Secret signals too. That went away when I moved into college baseball. I don't think I ever changed the call of one of the old/big dog high school guys but I wouldn't have hesitated to do so if he was wrong. Lots of ego and hubris in some of those older guys. Pride can be a terrible thing. Coincidentally these are the guys who couldn't get from A to C/3B on a triple and didn't want to buy black shirts or charcoal pants or black hats. But they were obsessed with numbers and flag patches on shirts. Hmmmm

• Like 1

At Southern Camp this year,  I was also taught the left hand mechanic that @Mad Mike mentioned because the right hand looks like you're calling a strike.  If I'm making the effort to point to you and ask, you'd better be paying attention because I want your input.  

That's how I will do it. But I have seen MLB umpires gesture to 1B with an open palm. No mistaking what they were asking.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Back when I started some of the "old dogs/big dogs" in my high school association pushed the view that the plate guy rules. Don't show him up by changing his call on a checked swing. We had mask on or off. Secret signals too. That went away when I moved into college baseball. I don't think I ever changed the call of one of the old/big dog high school guys but I wouldn't have hesitated to do so if he was wrong. Lots of ego and hubris in some of those older guys. Pride can be a terrible thing. Coincidentally these are the guys who couldn't get from A to C/3B on a triple and didn't want to buy black shirts or charcoal pants or black hats. But they were obsessed with numbers and flag patches on shirts. Hmmmm

I worked with a lot of old-school guys when I was a young umpire. I enjoyed working with them a lot. Most of them were awesome at supporting you as an umpire as long as you didn't show them up. I worked with a guy that pretty much would've met the profile of the guy above. If a player or coach started going to him questioning a call that I made, he was the type of guy that would say to the coach...... "You know why that guys out? Because he said so....... Now get out of here." Those coaches never lingered with those guys either usually just shacking their head while making their way back to the dugout.  I certainly miss working with many of them even with all their quirks and stubbornness. 

The hidden code goes back to the olden days, when PU didn't want help and didn't care about getting it right.

I remember working with an old-timer that had all kinds of secret signals that he would flash out. I couldn't follow most of them so I just always went with his call and we never had a problem. But in the pregame that he would run at the trunk of his car (never mine) he would warn you not to use any signals with him because he may miss what your signal means and would just go with what he had. I miss those days. Good times!

Edited by Cato the Younger

• 3 weeks later...

A long 35 years ago while playing in a HS state tournament, the base umpire told us we were lucky on a check swing call (while we were batting).  He and his partner had a signal that if he pointed with his left hand, mirror his call but if he pointed with the right, give your honest opinion (which in his opinion would have been strike three, end of inning). 

Every now and then I still get a guy that tells me to just go with his call on a checked swing. I tell him if he doesnt want my input, don't ask, but if he does, he'll get what I had, not what he had.

MIke

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-20%20at%2011.40.

I saw this comment on a thread on reddit about obscure baseball rules. Ever heard of it?

(direct link to comment.. https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/3dyicl/whats_a_baseball_rule_that_the_average_fan_might/ctaavvv )

This might be one of the craziest things ive ever heard..LOL  no such things as this " mechanic". I'm too stupid to remember if you point to the line it's " agree with me" or if you point different it's " up to me"