Numbers on Shirts

LTL509
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2908 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Some umps in my area have numbers on their shirts and jackets, others don't. So if it's not required is this just left up to your personal preference? Might be they are required in other places they ump so it's already on their uniforms. Those of you that do, do you choose your own number or is it usually assigned?

Our HS does not have numbers. My College assignor does not use numbers either.

Our district LL board and American Legion board uses numbers - umpire selects a number from a list of available numbers. Many of the guys who work both boards have the same number, but some are different.

The big problem (if there is one) is that every board has different patches and different colors - so you end up having a closet full of shirts/jackets.

If you're in an area and or level where you get all your games from one group / assigner, then go ahead and put on numbers and or patches.

But if you work HS and college and summer for a dozen different groups / assigners or you expect to move (or move "up"), then keep the shirts plain -- no numbers, no patches.  Those who need to get ahold of someone to praise your work will know how to do so.

Only a couple in my area who have bothered. So here in Juneau we have 65 (me) and 8. In Sitka there's 45, 99, and 12 from what I have seen. Nobody else in Region V bothers. Not assigned, not regulated. You want it, you pick it, you wear it. LL used to but nobody wore uniforms and it was used more for pay reasons.

Only a couple in my area who have bothered. So here in Juneau we have 65 (me) and 8. In Sitka there's 45, 99, and 12 from what I have seen. Nobody else in Region V bothers. Not assigned, not regulated. You want it, you pick it, you wear it. LL used to but nobody wore uniforms and it was used more for pay reasons.

Concur with @Thunderheads about numbers, but I don't get nutty with them. My MLB shirts (sky and black) have "6" on them (was Bruce Froemming's, now Mark Carlson's). Each of my other shirts – navy included (shudder) – have a patch on them of a complementary nature. Often, this is just a flag on the left sleeve, or a patch like these...

Smaller-American-National-Flag-United-St$T2eC16h,!ygE9s7HLcEkBR1Lt-!OLQ~~60_35.J

... on the left sleeve. These patches (or the numbers I use) serve a major purpose – theft deterrence. I work alot of tournament games, and have to leave my gear in common areas. I do encourage colleagues to borrow one if they must, but every so often, even I forget I loaned one or two out, or I'm not on-hand to ask if a shirt can be borrowed. If I see one of my shirts – with its telltale patch – out on a colleague during a tournament, I just figure he needed it... and now I know who to go shake down to get it back. ;)

Of course, if I move up-or-on to a higher level of baseball, then I'll adopt and abide by whatever standards it has.

And to reply to @BillKen's comment... If I'm tossing a second/spare shirt to a partner because he forgot his, he's not going to care if his is devoid of numbers and/or patches. Most of these guys are guys I've worked with, and we know what to expect of/from each other. If I'm tossing a shirt to a (new to me) partner because all he freakin' has is navy (or softball powder), then it won't take long to figure out who is the "better umpire". #EndNavyComplacency #GetWithTheTimes
With that said, I do have second/spares in MLB styles (sky and black) with different numbers on them than my own #6 (#31, actually). ;)

Yes, I'm Mad. :crazy:

Edited by MadMax
To answer BillKen's comment

Worked a AAABA national tournament in Johnstown, PA and our crew was the only ones with #s (we were the out of town crew for the home teams in the tournament).  One catcher asked one of our guys if there was any significance to the numbers on our shirts.  My partner replied with "That's how many ejections I've had this year".  I couldn't help but laugh when the catcher came up to me and said "Looks like you've been busy this year".  My number is 47.

Edited by Aging_Arbiter
  • Like 2

IMHO, every umpire should carry a shirt with no number to use in the instance that your partner doesn't work in a league/level that has numbers.  If you walk out there with your number and I don't have one...some might assume that you are better than me.  You probably are, but lets not advertise that!:lol:  We might just make it through most of the game before they notice!

Seriously though...you show up your partner when you bigtime him with a numbered shirt.

Baseball Canada (and Ontario) discourages any sort of "identifying markings" on any of our apparel.  Even colored harnesses for masks and colored masks and ball bags are discouraged, but it's not a hard fast rule as some do choose to wear numbers

IMHO, every umpire should carry a shirt with no number to use in the instance that your partner doesn't work in a league/level that has numbers.  If you walk out there with your number and I don't have one...some might assume that you are better than me.  You probably are, but lets not advertise that!:lol:  We might just make it through most of the game before they notice!

Seriously though...you show up your partner when you bigtime him with a numbered shirt.

That's the whole reason I was given a number, usually it's just HS and Legion guys here that have them. During our big tournaments it was evident that coaches thought I was a higher grade umpire than I was because of the numbers, which made my (and my partners) life easier on the fields. I couldn't tell you how many coaches asked me about HS rules, plays, or how many HS games I've done this year (never lied but I never corrected either). It was UIC's idea to "fake out" rat coaches, although he used much more colorful wording. It worked. As @Thunderheads said, it looks more official/professional and that's a big part of the mental battle I have to win. 

I would only wear a number if I was forced to do so and I'm very happy that the HS association here doesn't subscribe to the idea of numbers.  Not sure how they would do it anyway with over 200 members.  Numbers serve no purpose, since all the coaches have access to Arbiter and can give their "feedback" to the assigner using names if they feel it's necessary.

• 9 months later...

Didn't want to start a new topic:

Which Shirt numbers from UA are the same as the ones on MLB shirts?

I usually order 3 in, but I have bought from someone online before(can't remember the provider was) and the numbers were tiny,  Just don't want to get the wrong ones again.

15 minutes ago, JoHart10 said:

Didn't want to start a new topic:

Which Shirt numbers from UA are the same as the ones on MLB shirts?

I usually order 3 in, but I have bought from someone online before(can't remember the provider was) and the numbers were tiny,  Just don't want to get the wrong ones again.

Jo, you bought the tiny/slim numbers from UA. I endorse and support UA on all their gear offerings except this one (albeit minor and petty) accessory. The numbers from Honig's, for example, are the real-deal, full 3" numerals in tackle twill the MLB guys wear. I think they even have the 4-inch "old school" ones too, but they might have dropped them with the website overhaul. The Official's Choice also has these numbers.

UA was offering a new dye-sublimated, laser-cut numeral, so I gave it a try... and it was paltry. Skinnier, thinner... It looked malnourished! So I contacted UA, and explained... they were gracious and apologetic, and sent me out a twill number, free of charge!... which was... hmm... a twill version of this same underwhelming numeral I got before, looking like a malnourished figure got a cup of water and a fruit rollup.