Fielders Balk

alan2703
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3206 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Was working high summer league game had plate with lefthander batter up and runner on first, pitcher attempted pick off partner called him safe. We talked later and was informed it was almost a fielders balk not familiar with that any help out there.

Almost isn't the same as is.  Two of you aren't going to see a player other than the catcher with his feet in foul territory.  I had this recently with a F5 lining up in foul territory to hold a runner at 3rd.  The problem was that he didn't do it until late and I'm not watching F5 when F1 is set to pitch, as PU or BU.  One coach mentioned it to me and I said I'll take a look and then eventually just said something to the other coach to make sure his F5 was staying in fair territory. 

Basically someone must have said something about the F3 having his foot on the foul line, still legal, he just can't have it in foul territory completely.  On the line is cool, outside the line is not cool.  Good luck seeing that in a two-man system.  Not saying its impossible but its not high on the priority of stuff we already have to look out for.

Was working high summer league game had plate with lefthander batter up and runner on first, pitcher attempted pick off partner called him safe. We talked later and was informed it was almost a fielders balk not familiar with that any help out there.

​A fielder's balk (as you've probably surmised from the other posts) is when a fielder (usually F3 or F5) is entirely in foul territory at the time of pitch.

But, it should never be called.  If you see it before TOP, move the fielder.  If you don't see it, you can't call it -- even if you discover it immediately after the pitch.

Further, in FED, I don't think it can be called on a pick-off, only on a pitch.  But, it's been a while since I've worked FED and this is one of the small things that I might have forgotten.

​A fielder's balk (as you've probably surmised from the other posts) is when a fielder (usually F3 or F5) is entirely in foul territory at the time of pitch.

But, it should never be called.  If you see it before TOP, move the fielder.  If you don't see it, you can't call it -- even if you discover it immediately after the pitch.

Further, in FED, I don't think it can be called on a pick-off, only on a pitch.  But, it's been a while since I've worked FED and this is one of the small things that I might have forgotten.

In FED ​fielder has to have one foot completely fair at TOP which eliminates such balk on a pick off. I agree with your second sentence.

Edited by Jimurray

This is seriously a thing in FED?

​Yes. 1-1-4 (position of fielders), 6-1-1 (position of F2); an illegal pitch with runners on is a balk (6-2-4c).

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no penalty for a fielder's balk? Just move them back into fair territory?

​Well, if you call a balk, you penalize a balk.

If you have a grain of sense, you enforce this provision properly: ignore it until 1 team complains, then enforce it equally for both teams (by, yes, moving fielders into fair as needed).

And, for the record "fielder's balk" and "catcher's balk" are misnomers: F1 has committed an infraction by pitching when his teammates were out of position.

• Like 2

In FED ​fielder has to have one foot completely fair at TOP which eliminates such balk on a pick off. I agree with your second sentence.

​Disagree with the "one foot completely fair" part.  Any part of either foot touching the line makes this a legal position.

• Like 1

​Disagree with the "one foot completely fair" part.  Any part of either foot touching the line makes this a legal position.

I think you are right. The rule says touching which I, due to the below caseplay, assumed whole foot:

1.1.4 SITUATION:

With R1 on first, (a) F9 cuts in behind R1 for a throw from F1, who is in contact with the pitcher's plate, and receives a pickoff throw in foul territory; or (b) F3 has one foot in foul territory when he receives a pickoff throw; or (c) F3, in contact with the base, has one foot in foul territory as the throw is received.

RULING: Legal in (a), (b) and (c). In (a), since F1 had not committed himself to pitch to the batter, the play is legal. In (a), (b), and (c) F3 is permitted to have a foot in foul territory, even at the time of the pitch.

COMMENT: Rule 1-1-4 requires all defensive players except the catcher to be in fair territory at the time of the pitch. By definition and interpretation, at least one foot must be in fair territory to comply with this rule.

In FED fielder has to have one foot completely fair at TOP which eliminates such balk on a pick off. I agree with your second sentence.

completely fair? His toe can't be touching the line?

To me. This is getting waaaaaaay more complicated than it needs to be. If you are PU. Don't let play start until all fielders (that are required) are completely in fair territory.
Once play starts players can go where they want.No??  

Except for that I agree.  IF the fielders are  completely in foul, don't start, but they don't need to be completely in fair.

(It's kind of like illegally batting the ball.  If the foot is completely out of the box, it's illegal, but if it's partially in the box, it's fine.)

• Like 1