Tom Hallion Squarely Struck by Foul, Leaves A's Game

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3179 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Umpire Tom Hallion took a foul square in the facemask and left Wednesday's Rockies-Athletics game. With two out and none on in the top of the first, Rockies batter Nolan Arenado fouled a first-pitch fastball from A's pitcher Jesse Hahn straight into Hallion's traditional-style Wilson mask. The foul...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Try not to listen to the announcers saying that "he should line up directly behind the catcher for protection."  UGH!!!

However, it looked like Tom was lined up directly at point of plate even though F2 was outside.  I try to line up on the inside edge of the dish.  Had he been lined up there, that foul ball might have whizzed by his right ear instead of getting him. 

But, who am I to critique and offer up advice to a veteran MLB umpire???

For some reason I don't understand I was having trouble viewing the video. Maybe some others are having the same problem. Here is another link that did work for me.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v217064183/coloak-homeplate-ump-takes-foul-ball-to-mask/?query=hallion

Edited by JHSump
fixed a typo
  • Like 1

He was most definitely directly in the "kill zone" when he was hit. Oooh!  I just learned or was reminded-Don't do that. Stay on edge.

Even the best can make a mistake from time to time. Hope the cost isn't too high for the mistake.