Foul Ball/Foul Tip

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3183 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So a week ago I'm BU at a HS league in St. Joseph.  R1 steals as the batter swings resulting in a foul tip.  No throw by F2 so R1 is now R2.

F4 asks me "wasn't that a foul ball?"  After a second to compose myself and say "Nope.  That was a foul tip."  R2 hears the conversation and starts jogging back to R1.  He makes it safely of course because no throw was made to get him out.  :wacko:

I looked in at my partner for a few seconds, both of us dumbfounded, and we resumed the game.  Not a word was said by either coach.  :blink:

The umpires words made him go to 1st. Not his stupidity.

​What words? You saying "foul tip"? That didn't make anyone do anything, it just said what it was. If he thinks "foul tip" means "go back to first"? Tough.

• Like 1

​What words? You saying "foul tip"? That didn't make anyone do anything, it just said what it was. If he thinks "foul tip" means "go back to first"? Tough.

Maybe he just heard foul.

At that point, once he started back for first, my curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to see if he'd make it. 

I see both sides as far as telling him to stay and not rewarding the ignorance of the rule.  I guess not rewarding ignorance won out in this situation.  :rolleyes:

While I hate the idea of a runner becoming liable to be put out based on something I said, this is one of those situations where some may think we should umpire a problem that should be coached. I just see it as a learning experience for everyone involved. This is very similar to R1 stealing second on a 3-2 count, catcher throws down to F6 as PU balls the pitch, BU calls R1 out and the runner steps off the bag toward the dug-out and F6 tags him again, so now he is really out. Should he get a do-over?

While I hate the idea of a runner becoming liable to be put out based on something I said, this is one of those situations where some may think we should umpire a problem that should be coached. I just see it as a learning experience for everyone involved. This is very similar to R1 stealing second on a 3-2 count, catcher throws down to F6 as PU balls the pitch, BU calls R1 out and the runner steps off the bag toward the dug-out and F6 tags him again, so now he is really out. Should he get a do-over?

I don't see a similarity at all. In your 'similar' scenario, the umpire was wrong in what he called - the umpire out the runner in jeopardy there.