First shot to the face with my TW

bluejerred
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3063 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

18U scrimmage.  Fastball up and in.  Probably high 70's to low 80's.  Fouled off the bat and right to the face.  Hit hard enough to hear the OOOO's from both dugouts and have players immediately start asking if I was okay.  Besides feeling like I had ants all over my face for a couple of minutes, everything was good.  Took a minute for the itchy feeling to go away and get a quick sip of water (100 degrees out) and continued play with no issues.  Gotta love the TW's!!!

Glad they did their job for you -

Have taken a few since mine, I wouldn't trade them. Took one under the mask the other night - came up off from the catchers inside shoulder and stuck between my jaw and CP. That felt great - still have the bruise. Was a legion game and the kid was throwing in the 80's. Sometimes there is nothing you can do. I feel good however that I saw the ball coming off the shoulder, so I was able to track it almost to my jaw.

Don't forget they do need to be replaced after a few years. I've had mine two years, this was the third. Took a shot to the jaw last week and felt it like I've never felt a shot before with TW's and it wasn't a very fast pitch. Jaw and neck ached fro a few days.  Ordered a new pair when I got home. 

This is year two for mine so I will be ordering three pair of TW's over the winter. This is gonna sound strange but the one Memory Foam I have is too soft.....lol.

This is year two for mine so I will be ordering three pair of TW's over the winter. This is gonna sound strange but the one Memory Foam I have is too soft.....lol.

​Not strange at all. I just sold a set for the same reason, and the hotter it got, the easier you could compress them in.  I didn't trust them. I just bought my first set of TW's,  and wore them this week in a tournament, never got hit. I must say they are really  hard pads, and they should get tested here in a few weeks when state tournys start. To early to fully judge the TW's, but my favorite so far for comfort and protection is still the All Star LUC's. 

Edited by midtnump
  • Like 1

I have TW in one mask and the Wilson memory foam in my other mask.  Both masks are Plus Pos ZRO-G.  I have to say that I like feel of the memory foam pads better.  I've taken similar shots in both - straight between the eyes in varsity games and I couldn't tell the difference.

• Like 1

I have TW in one mask and the Wilson memory foam in my other mask.  Both masks are Plus Pos ZRO-G.  I have to say that I like feel of the memory foam pads better.  I've taken similar shots in both - straight between the eyes in varsity games and I couldn't tell the difference.

​I've felt more pain while wearing TW pads than the Wilsons.  By far.

• Like 1

​Not strange at all. I just sold a set for the same reason, and the hotter it got, the easier you could compress them in.  I didn't trust them. I just bought my first set of TW's,  and wore them this week in a tournament, never got hit. I must say they are really  hard pads, and they should get tested here in a few weeks when state tournys start. To early to fully judge the TW's, but my favorite so far for comfort and protection is still the All Star LUC's. 

​Once you wash them they loosen up quite a bit. 

I've used the TW pads in my Diamond Ultra Light mask or two years and love them. Took a direct shot earlier this year in a HS varsity game that spun my mask off completely. Everyone there thought I was hurt but I honestly didn't feel a thing. I think they're great pads.

• 2 weeks later...

TW pads hurt when its cold out...but I took a shot last Saturday that was a smoker and it hit me as solid as I've been hit in a long, long time.  It was nearly 100 degrees outside, so they had good yield to them.  I walked it off, got a drink, and got my wits back and finished the game (only two batters to go).  Went home with a little tweak of a headache but woke up fine.  I'm giving TW the credit for me not being really hurt.

I've felt more pain while wearing TW pads than the Wilsons.  By far.

I totally agree, I was not impressed with the TWs.  The worst part of it is, the first day I tried out the force3 defender,  a way outside in the dirt fastball glanced off the shinguards of the cathcer and nailed me right in the jaw.  I will still never where an HSM though. 

Took a shot square between the eyes last week with the mask in my profile...tan TW's.....hardest ball in years....and...I felt nothing.....catcher went to the mound...fans gasped...both coaches came out and my partner came down....it was weird because I should of felt something but was ready to go immediately.....I guess it just depends on which batch of TW's you get but so far so good.....

• Like 1

This is my second year with my TWs and I love them.  I think it's hard to compare shots though.  Between the eyes is going to disperse the impact throughout both pads.  In the jaw is going to hurt because most of the impact is focused on the lower pad.  We all have our preferences I guess.

• 4 months later...

Swapped my Diamond pads out for TW this past season. Last HS game I did I took a fastball right to the face. Got my bell rung and had a headache at work later that night for a hour or so, but am thankful I spent the $45 to replace them.

And to think, my wife thought I was nuts to buy them!

• Like 1