Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3202 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Love it!  Couldn't have happened to a nicer, bigger P.O.S.!!  I'll be glad when that Prima Donna is retired.  #bigpoopy

​that's funny stuff Jeff, but.... what's the scoop on this EJ .........I see NOTHING here ......what am I missing?  Back story? Previous pitches?

• Like 1

​that's funny stuff Jeff, but.... what's the scoop on this EJ .........I see NOTHING here ......what am I missing?  Back story? Previous pitches?

​I think Dreckman was scolding him for flipping his bat into fair territory.  Actually, pretty darn close to F1.  I'm not sure he got dumped for the bat flip, rather, most likely for his reaction to Dreckman telling him about it.  Sometimes, his (Ortiz's) ego and arrogance gets the better of him.  

• Like 1

So, on top of the EJ, his little poopy party will cost him some scratch.

The replay doesn't show what you want to know. Here's my guess: Dreckman was surely hearing it from the other dugout about the bat flip. When he tried to address it with Ortiz, Ortiz made a disrespectful gesture or remark.

Dreckman had to deal with the bat flip or risk escalation (though it was the late innings and Ortiz probably doesn't bat again, he'll bat again tomorrow, and these players have long memories). When Ortiz showed him up, he had to go.

Again: that's a hypothesis. Maybe another replay or print story has more details.

• Like 1

Umpire (Dreckman?) and Ortiz had exchanged words after called strike earlier in the at bat, I am going to guess that Ortiz was told to give that up at that point and then brought it up again from first base.