Proud step-dad

OHUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3204 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just have to say how proud I am.  My 18 year old step-son just left for Parris Island for Marine Corp boot camp today.  Can't wait to see him graduate on September 11th.  It will be nice to have that day mean something positive at least to me again.

• Like 11

That's awesome! The Marines boot camp is no joke. Congratulations and thank him for his voluntary service.  

My step son leaves August 4th for boot camp. Already made our reservations on base rentals to see his graduation. So excited for him. 

• Like 1

Send him Avon Skin So Soft - He will thank you for it. It is apparently the only thing that will repel the nasty sand fleas or whatever they are that infest Paris Island. 

​NO NO NO - DON'T SEND HIM ANYTHING THAT HE DOESN'T ASK YOU FOR! IT WILL EITHER BE CONFISCATED OR HE WILL BE RIDICULED IN FRONT OF THE PLATOON. Bad idea: a guy in my platoon was sent a bag or oranges: he had to eat each and every one in front of us. Colorful puke.....

....and you're right about the sand fleas.....

• Like 1

Kleenex was needed saying goodbye yesterday I can't imagine graduation day.

​You can't: when you see him next, it will truly be a "holy sh** moment you will never forget : he'll be completely grown, and look you in the eye when he talks to you. 

Send him tons of letters: it's going to be difficult for him in "First Phase", when they tear him all the way down to the frame (so they can build him back up). He'll be hip-deep in "what did I get myself into?" and will need all the encouragement he can get.

Me: Parris Island 1972

My brother: Parris Island 1976

My nephew: Parris Island 2009

My son: San Diego (some kids are just a disappointment)  : 2010

• Like 4

​You can't: when you see him next, it will truly be a "holy sh** moment you will never forget : he'll be completely grown, and look you in the eye when he talks to you. 

Send him tons of letters: it's going to be difficult for him in "First Phase", when they tear him all the way down to the frame (so they can build him back up). He'll be hip-deep in "what did I get myself into?" and will need all the encouragement he can get.

Me: Parris Island 1972

My brother: Parris Island 1976

My nephew: Parris Island 2009

My son: San Diego (some kids are just a disappointment)  : 2010

​Thank you and your family for the service.  I was never in the service but I could not be prouder of the choices he has made.

Ooooraaaahhhh!!!!!

do NOT send him stuff. Suffering through sand fleas is part of the toughening up experience. Sorry Warren. 

I was Army. My dad was Marines. DI at PI. I knew better when it was time to join up. Nothing against those who are members and for members of "The Corps". Just not for me. My childhood was like a bootcamp that lasted for over 12 years. Army Basic Training was nothing compared to the SH*# my old man could dump on my head. Just sayin'

Congrats to you for raising a son who makes such an important and unselfish choice. 

• 3 weeks later...

A little late here but congrats!!  I hated the sand fleas when I went through boot camp and I was there in the winter time so I can only imagine how bad they are right now.  He will be a changed man when you see him in September.  I graduated from PI in early March '98.  I loved getting yelled at like that so much I went to OCS summer of 2001.  The mind games the DIs can play with you is a real talent.  Any idea what his job will be after graduation or is he an open contract?