Mlb back to Navy blue???

fastfredyb
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3204 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I heard a rumor yesterday from a very good Umpire at a local tournament that the MLB umpires are going back to Navy blue and the plain back majestic black shirt next year?

Usually I pay no mind but this umpire is very knowledgeable and probably the the most informed I've ever known. Anybody else hear that?

I doubt it.  In Majestic's catalog, they do offer only a navy and a solid black shirt this year.  I think he may have seen that and assumed that MLB will make that change.  THat catalog came out late last year, but the umps are still wearing the same uniforms they wore for the past few years.

I worked a college woodbat league DH last week with a guy (not a regular college level umpire) who only brought navy blue shirt. I said NO WAY I'm wearing that F*#King color shirt at this level. I had to loan him a polo blue with black collared shirt so we would match. He also only had a plain, no logo, navy hat. I didn't help him out with that problem.  I will only wear navy in Missouri high school games and I'm contemplating not working in MO next year because of the stupid navy shirts primarily. Oh, and the geriatric softball umpire partners I keep being assigned to work with and their "clickers", never work a plate, and their sweeping of the pitchers' plate and bases.  Damn. I've just talked myself into skipping the Missouri problems and saved myself $65 in registration fee due next week!

• Like 9

I worked a college woodbat league DH last week with a guy (not a regular college level umpire) who only brought navy blue shirt. I said NO WAY I'm wearing that F*#King color shirt at this level. I had to loan him a polo blue with black collared shirt so we would match. He also only had a plain, no logo, navy hat. I didn't help him out with that problem.  I will only wear navy in Missouri high school games and I'm contemplating not working in MO next year because of the stupid navy shirts primarily. Oh, and the geriatric softball umpire partners I keep being assigned to work with and their "clickers", never work a plate, and their sweeping of the pitchers' plate and bases.  Damn. I've just talked myself into skipping the Missouri problems and saved myself $65 in registration fee due next week!

​bahahah love it!!!    

It's not the color Navy per se that's the crux of the problem. It's what it represents:

1. High-School (thus, the epitome of NFHS rules) ball, which means we're playing this "by the book", and since most high-school games start at 3:30-4:00, you're going to get umpires who are exclusively umpires, but not on merit (usually). Most of the rest of us who could (or should) do those high school games are in another job or occupation that we can't get out of until 4:30 (if we're lucky) or 5:00.
  2. Lax-ness, almost carelessness. Often, the Navy shirt is the "first one you get" and you're often told "this is all you need". Soon, this becomes an excuse - "Why don't you have any other colors?" "I was told this is all I needed!" "Do you know how to rotate out of A?" "What's A?"
    Often, this shirt is pitched into the trunk of a car, and because it's the "only one you need", it rarely gets washed (or gets washed so frequently) such that it becomes wore out, salt-stained or faded.
  3. A perpetuation of the myth. We're called "Blue" because we wear blue, right? 
  4. A perpetual cycle of unpreparedness. Why do local Sporting Goods stores only carry Navy (and Powder w/ navy stripe, if you're lucky)? Because chances are, the assignment/need for an umpire is a last-minute thing, or the umpire lost/forgot/damaged his "one navy shirt". The first shows a lack of preparation on the part of the game organizers. The second shows a lack of preparation on the part of the umpire.
  5. Implied universality with softball. Nice try.
  6. Inability to accept or tolerate change and progress. The game has gotten faster. There's new technology and practices. Even the Rulebook gets modifications to it. But why not try a new color or style or two? "We've (more like, I've) had these here Navy shirts for twenty years, why change?" Yeah, and you probably still use a balloon oh my gosh you do??!!
  7. Apathy and aversion to improvement and ambition. What are the phrases? "Dress for success" and "Dress for the job you want"? You don't want to improve and move up, showing great aptitude and skill?

There's more. Oh, there's lots more.

• Like 3

​It's not the color Navy, persay, that's the crux of the problem. It's what it represents:

1. High-School (thus, the epitome of NFHS rules) ball, which means we're playing this "by the book", and since most high-school games start at 3:30-4:00, you're going to get umpires who are exclusively umpires, but not on merit (usually). Most of the rest of us who could (or should) do those high school games are in another job or occupation that we can't get out of until 4:30 (if we're lucky) or 5:00.
  2. Lax-ness, almost carelessness. Often, the Navy shirt is the "first one you get" and you're often told "this is all you need". Soon, this becomes an excuse - "Why don't you have any other colors?" "I was told this is all I needed!" "Do you know how to rotate out of A?" "What's A?"
    Often, this shirt is pitched into the trunk of a car, and because it's the "only one you need", it rarely gets washed (or gets washed so frequently) such that it becomes wore out, salt-stained or faded.
  4. A perpetual cycle of unpreparedness. Why do local Sporting Goods stores only carry Navy (and Powder w/ navy stripe, if you're lucky)? Because chances are, the assignment/need for an umpire is a last-minute thing, or the umpire lost/forgot/damaged his "one navy shirt". The first shows a lack of preparation on the part of the game organizers. The second shows a lack of preparation on the part of the umpire.
  6. Inability to accept or tolerate change and progress. The game has gotten faster. There's new technology and practices. Even the Rulebook gets modifications to it. But why not try a new color or style or two? "We've (more like, I've) had these here Navy shirts for twenty years, why change?" Yeah, and you probably still use a balloon oh my gosh you do??!!
  7. Apathy and aversion to improvement and ambition. What are the phrases? "Dress for success" and "Dress for the job you want"? You don't want to improve and move up, showing great aptitude and skill?

We're still Navy in NJ but we are allowed to wear black as an alternative. ​It's a little judgmental on my part, but when I show up for a game or email a partner for confirmation and they tell me they only have navy, the red flag goes up immediately. I breathe a sigh of relief when I hear "let's go with black" . It's close to 100% true for my high school games if I hear "Let's go with black" I've got a decent partner today! 

​It's not the color Navy, persay, that's the crux of the problem. It's what it represents:

​6 & 7 are spot on.  Add the combo slacks....................................

I have the original navy short and long sleeve, powder blue long and short, white, grey. These I use for scrimmage or single man mechanics because I hardly use them.

I also have  the old black, and old MLB blue w black collar, cream.  I compare our equipment to an auto mechanic's tool box. Unless you have tons of cash, you can't go out and buy everything at once. I try to buy or upgrade at least every 6 months.  I just bought some poly/wool base pants and I'm looking forward to buying shirts in a few months. I also want to buy new shin guards as they are the original set I bought when I started umpiring 2 years ago.

What colors/arrangements are most common? I have 2 light blues, 1 with black collar, 1 with white/navy stripe, I've got red, black, creme, silver, and of course... navy. Most guys I've worked with go with Navy or black. I wore read to a solo little league game, and creme to another one, and got numerous questions about them, but in my previous locale, they were fairly normal? 

Around here, the predominant color is Navy, followed occasionally by (softball) Powder (with the navy stripe). Most umpires who are "certified" for High School ball also do softball, so they have both. It turns out that the use of Navy here also carries a connotation of your "level", because (from what I'm told) only "Master" umpires, working high-end Varsity games, can wear Black.

Uhhh-huhhhhh. I see.

Guess which color I'm known for wearing around here? Yup, I even roll up to the park with AC/DC's Back in Black blaring.

You know you're going to be working with a good partner – fun, cooperative, takes this umpiring thing seriously – when you get on the phone together or meet up in the parking lot, and hear, "Yeah, I've got every color... Which do you want to wear?" You've got your navy-trim colors... Navy, Powder, Red and White. Then, you've got your black-trim colors... Black, Polo Blue (AKA Columbia or Collegiate Light blue w/ black collar), Grey, Cream. I even have Red w/ black trim.

My favorite, and the favorite of most of the guys who are "with it" in this region, is the modern MLB style, in Black and Sky. I've even gone so far as to get long-sleeved versions of both (thanks Honig's!), and am getting this style in Gold, Maroon, and Burnt Orange (way to be Official's Choice!).

You know guys, I'm all for supporting local businesses, but there's this thing called "the Internet"...

Up here in Michigan, we're also "required" to wear Navy Blue or Powder Blue with the Powder Blue, White, and Navy Blue collar/sleeves.  Once the HS season is over, I put them away...until the ground thaws...

Black or Powder Blue with the Black collar/sleeves for Summer ball.  Period.

We're still Navy in NJ but we are allowed to wear black as an alternative. ​It's a little judgmental on my part, but when I show up for a game or email a partner for confirmation and they tell me they only have navy, the red flag goes up immediately. I breathe a sigh of relief when I hear "let's go with black" . It's close to 100% true for my high school games if I hear "Let's go with black" I've got a decent partner today! 

Down the shore, black is not allowed. Summer ball is navy and softball light blue.  I have a black shirt that I use for LL jr when I'm working with a youth umpire on the bases.  Their uniform is a light blue collared shirt made like a tee shirt.

Down the shore, black is not allowed. Summer ball is navy and softball light blue.  I have a black shirt that I use for LL jr when I'm working with a youth umpire on the bases.  Their uniform is a light blue collared shirt made like a tee shirt. 

WTF? The NJSIAA offical's manual gives the option of black. Who has the temerity to overrule the omniscience of the athletics overlords of New Jersey? :stir

​I disagree with this assessment. I work with some damn good umpires and I work exclusively varsity baseball during the high school season. I cannot speak for other areas, but Northern New Jersey has some top level umpires. Ask @Richvee about the difficulty in breaking into those ranks. The guys who assign ball at that level couldn't give a rat's backside about who you are. Your work on and off the field gets you the games you deserve.

• Like 1

@kevin_k. Our interpreter has been fighting black at the state level for years.  When I was part of the UANJ, it was the 4th year in a row that it was put on the agenda and bullied down by this individual.  He bullied the SUA board into not allowing the black.  His logic..."no one should be forced to buy more than one color".

He actually said that at one of our board meetings.

• Like 1