Register or Sign In to remove these ads
conbo61

CWS Ump-cam

15 posts in this topic

Looks like the HP ump in tonight's Miami/Florida game has a camera in his mask.

Saw this on a AAA ump not too long ago.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

He was wearing one in the Virginia game too.  

Cool idea.

​Very cool. Although it does open him up to "commentary".  I think ESPN is doing a pretty good job of just using it as another perspective.

​I would guess that it's part of the gig.  

​I would guess that they have a choice, but that most feel that it's "part of the gig" and say yes.

I think it's kind of neat to be able to hear what the umpire is saying. 

1 person likes this

​I would guess that they have a choice, but that most feel that it's "part of the gig" and say yes.

​Not only that, but I'm sure that many of them would want the opportunity to do that. It's a cool perspective. 

Of course, there are plenty that wouldn't be a fan of it. 

I've noticed the umpires wearing the Wilson titanium with the Wilson non-wrap around two tone pads

​I think this is the mask they have rigged with the camera. With all of the mask styles out there, I am guessing they are using 1 mask and sharing it at the WS.

It is a cool perspective, and the guy that I watched wearing it, stayed very steady. It showed that he was watching the ball with his eyes, and not moving.

1 person likes this

​I think this is the mask they have rigged with the camera. With all of the mask styles out there, I am guessing they are using 1 mask and sharing it at the WS.

It is a cool perspective, and the guy that I watched wearing it, stayed very steady. It showed that he was watching the ball with his eyes, and not moving.

​The plate ump in Vandy vs. TCU was wearing the mask, but no camera.  Maybe they are trying out the new masks.

I doubt many umpires are trying out new masks at the CWS. Bad time to change things up. 

Didn't see all the games but saw a good many of them, but I can only remember seeing it on various Wilson masks (titanium, original dyna-lite). Only one I remember not seeing it on was Perry Costello (multiple games, Champ. series game 1 included) and he wears the Diamond silver lightweight mask.

My thought is maybe the rig for the camera, looks like a sunshield with a camera in the middle, didn't fit into the upper part of the mask or didn't sit right with the hat or something along those lines. 

I'd hate to wear one and have to listen to y'all give me crap about the camera giggling every pitch...haw