Recently deceased player on the lineup card

clasonater
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3199 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

A local high school had a player pass away within the last couple days unexpectedly.  Neither me or my partner had any prior knowledge of this heading into the game. (I don't want to pay for the newspaper).  The HTHC comes to the plate conference and informs me that the starting first baseman has passed away and that he has placed him in the starting lineup and that he would start the game with eight players.  He politely asks the VTHC if his first batter would take the first pitch, then he would substitute in a first baseman.  The VTHC obliged and I said coach that this will all be fine.  Than I (PU) requested that, for lineup purposes, the subbed in first baseman will be considered a starter. (FYI, this is not in the FED case manual),

Before the first pitch, the players circle the mound and say a prayer and release balloons.  After the first pitch I call time, throw the ball in, and the coach walks out to me in tears and announces 7 for 22. the game resumes.

I just thought i would share this because it was a humbling experience.  And it also follows the old saying that you see something new everyday. I hope I handled it in the correct way because I had no clue what was going on at first. 

• Like 13

A local high school had a player pass away within the last couple days unexpectedly.  Neither me or my partner had any prior knowledge of this heading into the game. (I don't want to pay for the newspaper).  The HTHC comes to the plate conference and informs me that the starting first baseman has passed away and that he has placed him in the starting lineup and that he would start the game with eight players.  He politely asks the VTHC if his first batter would take the first pitch, then he would substitute in a first baseman.  The VTHC obliged and I said coach that this will all be fine.  Than I (PU) requested that, for lineup purposes, the subbed in first baseman will be considered a starter. (FYI, this is not in the FED case manual),

Before the first pitch, the players circle the mound and say a prayer and release balloons.  After the first pitch I call time, throw the ball in, and the coach walks out to me in tears and announces 7 for 22. the game resumes.

I just thought i would share this because it was a humbling experience.  And it also follows the old saying that you see something new everyday. I hope I handled it in the correct way because I had no clue what was going on at first. 

​You don't need rules to handle this correctly.  Just a heart.

I'd say you did just fine.

• Like 4

Very classy!

I did the same thing this year with a player (senior on sr day) who was severely injured. He was in casts at 1B. We were told about it before the conference, and everyone was more than OK with it. Kid was at every practice and game that he could get to, was a starter for entire HS career and the team captain. I had never heard of this before, but thought it was great for the kids and the game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this and you ask if you did it right the only I can say is you did. You took a terrible tragedy and allowed the players to have closure with one of there own in the way they knew him best outstanding. The only thing you could have done wrong if you eyes did not get  misty or tear up.

• Like 1

​a strike, and it was

​As a whole, this whole deal is pretty neat and I agree totally with going with it. 

But isn't it a little cheesy that the pitcher threw a strike here?  The defense is asking for the consideration. The least they could do is pitch out, or just eat the result of the play with no first baseman.  If you're going to ask the offense not to swing, don't then throw a strike. 

• Like 1

nobody knew what happened to the kid at the time, but apparently he fell ill at a rockies game with flu like symptoms.  he died in the car on the way to the hospital 4 hours later because of a rare form of the plague.  animals like prairie dogs and squirrels still carry the flees here.  Its been all over the news if any of you have heard about it.