Delayed dead ball balk

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3195 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

No no, I need to step in and clarify...

During the "pool play" games of Sunday thru Tuesday, there is one Balk Warning per pitcher, with it rendered an immediate Dead Ball. Next Balk call (on that pitcher) is a Delayed Dead Ball (ala OBR).

Beginning Wednesday, which is the first of the two Elimination Bracket days (the "playoffs"), the Balk warnings are lifted and all Balk calls are Delayed Dead Ball (again, ala OBR).

@ZebraStripes, are you and @Umpirechick1 on the same crew, or were you doing a "guest appearance" game? Yours is a great story, but mine is still used as the example – my U2 called a no-stop balk (warning) on a HR, only for us to have to take the runs off the board, put the kid back in the box and continue his at-bat, assuring him that he gets to keep the ball regardless. Three pitches later, and he hits another HR.

• Like 2

No no, I need to step in and clarify...

During the "pool play" games of Sunday thru Tuesday, there is one Balk Warning per pitcher, with it rendered an immediate Dead Ball. Next Balk call (on that pitcher) is a Delayed Dead Ball (ala OBR).

Beginning Wednesday, which is the first of the two Elimination Bracket days (the "playoffs"), the Balk warnings are lifted and all Balk calls are Delayed Dead Ball (again, ala OBR).

@ZebraStripes, are you and @Umpirechick1 on the same crew, or were you doing a "guest appearance" game? Yours is a great story, but mine is still used as the example – my U2 called a no-stop balk (warning) on a HR, only for us to have to take the runs off the board, put the kid back in the box and continue his at-bat, assuring him that he gets to keep the ball regardless. Three pitches later, and he hits another HR.

I was the weak link on her crew.  

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds pretty stupid if you ask me.  If you want to have a "warning" system, ok... its your tourney.  However, you are going to punish the offense because a pitcher rolled through one?  The rule of thumb is that if all runners including the BR advance 1 base you disregard.  So why don't you just use that thinking and then warn?  So lets say no warning has been issued and a kid no stops.. you call a balk and the batter hits a double.  Just leave the runner @ 2nd and tell the pitcher that is your warning.  If I was a coach and that happened to my team, I would be watching the rest of the game with binoculars at the dorms!!

Edited by Chris Hickman
  • Like 1

In this tournament, the balk warning makes total sense.  You have teams (104 of them) who come from all different sets of rules, including teams who play with closed bases and have never had any experience with leading off, pick off moves and balks.  So, yes... the warning is a good thing.  And it's not that hard to keep up with.  The down side?  If a kid hits a HR, it doesn't count.  But, if we were playing by FED rules, it wouldn't count, either.  So, no biggie.

And, just for the record, @ZebraStripes was not the weak link.  I'd take him on my crew anytime!  In fact, I think that I had the best crew out there!  :)

• Like 1