WCWS Obstruction

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3222 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I realize it is not baseball, but still worth a discussion.

Florida/Michigan.

Do YOU have obstruction?  I sure do.  3B umpire did not.

ob2.jpg

ob1.jpg

Edited by conbo61

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fair enough.  I did see the game live and she did not have the ball. If I recall correctly, the left leg was down before she had the ball.

@Maven - do you know what a NCAA (baseball) ruling would be?

Play and discussion at the 3:00 mark

http://www.secsports.com/article/13001108/florida-edged-michigan-1-0-game-2

The studio commentators indicate that since the 3B was IN THE ACT of receiving the ball, it is clean.  My thinking was more toward FED. Demerits for the same commentators stating that the "referees" got together to discuss the play.

Is this the same interpretation for NCAA baseball?

Edited by conbo61

In FED, yes probably OBS.  In NCAA or OBR, based on the verbage below from the NCAA Baseball rule book (no idea if softball's the same), I have definitely have no obstruction on this play.

Obstruction: The act of a fielder who, while not in possession of or in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

A.R. 1—If the fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the throw, he may be considered “in the act of fielding the ball.”

Not OBS in NCAA Baseball -- a play was in progress (or whatever the specific words are).

Very hard to tell in FED.  I don't think the runner slid any earlier than she would have absent the fielder's position.  I can't tell the timing of conaact with F5 vs. F5 getting the ball.

Edited by noumpere