HBP in LSU / UNC Wilmington Regional

indianaumpire15
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3005 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• 7 months later...
On 6/2/2015 at 4:53 PM, jpperez14 said:

I've have had 2-3 times the past 2 years where a ball comes in on the hitter, I hear the ball off the bat and shoots away, and the batter starts shaking his hand. I rule it a foul ball, offensive coach argues and tells his batter to take his batting glove off. I told him I don't care if he has a mark on his hand, I heard the ball off the bat. I do not know which was hit first, so I am sticking with the foul ball. they moan and groan and complain, then the batter gets back in the box.

Heres my tid bit.. do not call Foul or HBP.. just call time cause time means nothing... look at everything you can, ask the batter to take off his glove and look, then make your ruling. The PU in the Video did a good job.

At a clinic recently we were told to have them take off the glove and look at the hand if we were not sure. The only caution given was to do it fairly quickly because a smart batter might press the top of his had with the other thumb to make it appear as if it hit him when in fact it did not.

12 hours ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

Heres my tid bit.. do not call Foul or HBP.. just call time cause time means nothing... look at everything you can, ask the batter to take off his glove and look, then make your ruling. The PU in the Video did a good job.

I recently saw a video from COG on Facebook that says just to throw up your hands but not to say anything. Then take in as much info as you can.