New (2015) Honig's K1 initial review and question.

Majordave
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3233 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I just got a new K1 from Honig's as a backup to wear in lower level and multiple plate job days to save wear and tear on my Unequal. $69 shipped. I used to wear a 2006 model K1 back in 2006/7.  That model was nice but they have updated it a bit.  

This CP is very light. Especially in comparison to my UE. Has great coverage, 14" for regular size. Additional Velcro attachable stomach extension pads available. Is flexible and uses long Velcro male adorned stretch waist straps that attach to the female Velcro adorned lower portion of the front. (This is a new feature from my old model) You can get a pretty snug fit with this set up. The harness straps from the Y in back to your neck area are non-elastic nylon webbing like most other CPs I've owned and seen and require adjusting to get a snug fit.  I have a newly purchased Delta-Flex harness I may attach to this CP but it will take significant modification by cutting the elastic waist straps from this CP and seeing them to the DF harness to make it work.  (Any other suggestions?) 

The clavicle plates are pretty thick plastic but are stiff and will require a break-in period to get them to curve over properly. (suggestions to speed up this process? Hairdryer?  The chest and stomach area has internal plastic plates between low rebound foam covered with nylon front and diamond quilted foam padding in the portion that faces your chest.(another new feature since my 2006 version K1).

The other new feature is three small Velcro attach removable "set back" pads in the portion that sets against your body that may allow for some airflow (Honig's claims it will. We shall see) and give a space for a slight give and a bit more protection from impact.

The shoulder area is heavy plastic cap  not adjustable and rather large like football shoulder pads. Should protect the deltoids and upper arm pretty well. I am concerned that I don't have any gap protection between the clavicle piece and the shoulder cap piece. They apparently failed to assemble it. There is a Velcro loop in center of the gap area but no gap plate.

Edit: I'm an idiot.  Went back to Honig's website and looked at pic of this CP.   Mine was shipped without gap plates.

I'll update this review after I wear it a couple games   

Questions for you guys who may already have this model of K1:

1.  Is it cooler with the internal stand off pads?  Is there airflow?

2.  Have you taken hits in the gaps and if so does this CP protect you well enough?  If it does protect in the gap, Is this a HS varsity level CP?

Thanks. 

Stock photo from Honig's website  

image.jpg

Edited by Majordave
Add photo and admit I'm an idiot.

I'm traveling as a co-pilot thus the long ass review.  Will get to that Tuesday. I'm in Tejas on the road between Dallas and Houston. Gonna eat some bodacious BBQ and amazing Mexican with my Tex-Mex girlfriend.  Don't mess with Texas!

@mbkcoach

I don't really know yet. It's less than half the weight. That's great for summer. But it needs to be broken in. It won't replace the UE.  I'm sure of that. I will update after a couple of plate jobs. 

Here is a pic of what they sent me. No Gap Protective Plates. 

I called them and a new one with a UPS call tag for the incomplete one is on the way. 

image.jpg

So, Honigs ships out the new CP. I get an email from UPS confirming delivery date as supposedly yesterday. I check delivery status the shipment was in an accident. UPS notes in my tracking info all cargo destroyed and disposed of in Livonia, MI. Shipper notified. 

@Thunderheads  @UmpJeff aren't you guys from near there?

WTF!  Maybe this isn't supposed to be?

So, Honigs ships out the new CP. I get an email from UPS confirming delivery date as supposedly yesterday. I check delivery status the shipment was in an accident. UPS notes in my tracking info all cargo destroyed and disposed of in Livonia, MI. Shipper notified. 

@Thunderheads  @UmpJeff aren't you guys from near there?

WTF!  Maybe this isn't supposed to be?

​Town next to me ........ haven't heard of anything ....but I'll keep searching

I'd call Honigs .......see what's up

Edited by Thunderheads

Yeah, @Majordave, the two Jeffs are in that vicinity.

... but so is my ex-GF. Soooooo... Conspiracy theories begin to emerge, at least on-par with some of the tall tales told around here.

Finally got the replacement K1 via FedEx last Friday. Wore it Sunday for my plate job at La Liga Mexicana here in KC. Extremely lightweight. Remarkably lightweight. Especially in comparison to my Unequal CP.  It was easy to adjust. The neck rubbed a bit. Was stiff in the shoulders. I had to hand curve the clavicle plate and gap plate. I'm confident they will break in fine in a few more games. It was breezy and hot, mid-90's on Sunday. One of the new features different from my old K1 was the three "standoff" strips/pads that keep the main quilted back/inside of the CP off or away from your chest and stomach for airflow was really nice. I sweated yes. But with the breeze I wasn't overheating at all. The other new feature is the harness/waist straps. The straps attach by Velcro across the stomach. Allowed a very snug fit. I had no slippage. I did adjust the neck/shoulder area straps a bit snug but the fit was fantastic. I have the regular (14") size. 

I only took one hit and it was to edge of left shoulder pad catching more arm than pad. I have a nice bruise. In retrospect I shouldn't have worn this CP for this game as both pitchers were former college and one is former pro in their early 20's. Lots of smoke compared to other ball I've been working. Catchers were both my age (low 50's). WTF!  Surprised I didn't get hit more. I guess watching all those "Dancing with the Stars" episodes has finally paid off. Did take a direct pitch in my Mizuno plate shoe right on metatarsal area. Felt no pain. Awesome. Will not try this CP in college wooden bat game tonight. 

• Like 1

I still wear my old K-1 I purchased back in 2002; had a Platinum too for about 3 years but sold it because I just liked my old K-1 so much better. The fit and comfort of that thing is unmatched and I've never had an issue getting hit in it working HS varsity ball. I ordered a new K-1 about 3 years ago and ended up sending it back. It was heavier, thicker and stiffer than my old one and it was also too tight around the neck. Since I've lost about 65 lbs the neck would probably be less of an issue now and it sounds like they may have made some changes to it again as the Velcro attachable waist straps/harness weren't on that model I don't think. Does it still have the full back mesh harness? I personally didn't care for that. I'm going to have to replace my old one at some point and I'm leaning towards a Schutt XV but if Honigs has refined the K-1 to my liking I might go with another one of them.

Edited by Hawkman

@Hawkman

No mesh back. I bought an extra Delta-Flex intending to replace the mesh vest back.  Not sure if I will do that now.   Neck is a bit tight.  I am 16.5 shirt size neck.  

I had an older K1, with a normal harness (do not remember how it connected at the waist back then.   I bought used off eBay in 2005 or 2006.  Wore it for HS varsity until I started doing college games in 2008.  I got hit in the dead center chest during a fall ball "world series" intrasquad at Kentucky while wearing the K1 and felt it. No marks but I felt the hit and lost confidence in the K1 for college baseball.  So I went over to WestVest Gold.  Now my primary CP is the Unequal.  No confidence issues for me there.  I am confident in the K1 for HS varsity ball and below and that is why I bought it.  Summer HS tourneys and to save wear and tear on my Unequal.

The only changes I have noticed over the old K1 I had are: 

1. The waist straps attaching via velcro on the front stomach portion

2. The "standoff" pad strips that velcro to the inside portion for cooling.

and 3. The gap protection plates are a shiny and smooth black plastic instead of a dull and slightly rough textured plastic.

I bought it during their 31% off anniversary sale so for $70 it was an excellent choice and a real bargain.

For HS and below I would highly recommend it.

I wore the K-1 for a few years. Could never say anything bad. I did wear it for a year of college, and wore it for D-1 fall ball for a few years. Went to the Platinum a couple of years ago, and I really like that as well. The reason I switched? Just wanted a new CP, and thought I would try something different.

I passed my old K-1 on to a new guy on our board, and he really likes it. I think the K-1 makes a great CP for a new person that is going to work up to Varsity level.

I only have 1 chest protector, so I go for something I can wear at any level and have confidence in it for whatever level I am working.

@Hawkman

No mesh back. I bought an extra Delta-Flex intending to replace the mesh vest back.  Not sure if I will do that now.   Neck is a bit tight.  I am 16.5 shirt size neck.  

I had an older K1, with a normal harness (do not remember how it connected at the waist back then.   I bought used off eBay in 2005 or 2006.  Wore it for HS varsity until I started doing college games in 2008.  I got hit in the dead center chest during a fall ball "world series" intrasquad at Kentucky while wearing the K1 and felt it. No marks but I felt the hit and lost confidence in the K1 for college baseball.  So I went over to WestVest Gold.  Now my primary CP is the Unequal.  No confidence issues for me there.  I am confident in the K1 for HS varsity ball and below and that is why I bought it.  Summer HS tourneys and to save wear and tear on my Unequal.

The only changes I have noticed over the old K1 I had are: 

1. The waist straps attaching via velcro on the front stomach portion

2. The "standoff" pad strips that velcro to the inside portion for cooling.

and 3. The gap protection plates are a shiny and smooth black plastic instead of a dull and slightly rough textured plastic.

I bought it during their 31% off anniversary sale so for $70 it was an excellent choice and a real bargain.

For HS and below I would highly recommend it.

​Thanks for the info Dave, I really didn't like that mesh harness system. The old one I have connects with pronged plastic connectors on each side of the waist strap which is made out of an elastic material. The strap is about 2 inches wide. It locks in just fine but can be a bit more of a pain to connect than say a WV Platinum where the waist strap connects more on the front of the protector. I always hated the Platinum harness system though, seemed really cheap and poorly fitting for such an expensive piece of equipment. I'm probably still a 17.5 neck so that might still be a bit of an issue if it's tight on you. Might give it a shot anyway, I've always thought the K-1 was an underrated piece of gear. 

I or