Accommodating Infielders

kstrunk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3244 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm sure this is on here somewhere, if you can direct me, I'll gladly read. But if not...

Do  you accommodate and infielder's request to move one way or another (in B or C)? I've been doing so to a small degree, while trying to maintain some fidelity to sound mechanics. Not sure if it's right or not though? 

I will give them a step one way or the other...sometimes just a step up or back will do the trick.  If you show you are willing to work with them, they will usually adjust with you too.  Unless you are in PBUC, you won't get dinged for being one step away from a prescribed spot in B or C.  Those locations can adjust slightly according to the situation.

• Like 1

Sure, why not? We can take a step or two right or left and still be in a position. Often a single step up (toward the plate) will open an angle to whatever they wanted to see.

F6 in a men's game once demanded that I move from C to B. I didn't do that, and almost had to toss the jackass when he wouldn't let it go.

• Like 6

What I do when a player asks me to move one way or the other is step forward, opposed to the side, with the foot of the direction they're asking me to move.  It changes the angle/sight line for them and it keeps my angle constant.  

What I do when a player asks me to move one way or the other is step forward, opposed to the side, with the foot of the direction they're asking me to move.  It changes the angle/sight line for them and it keeps my angle constant.  

Sure, why not? We can take a step or two right or left and still be in a position. Often a single step up (toward the plate) will open an angle to whatever they wanted to see.

F6 in a men's game once demanded that I move from C to B. I didn't do that, and almost had to toss the jackass when he wouldn't let it go.

​Sorry, Maven...  I didn't see your post.  We're saying the same thing.  :smachhead:

I will give them a step one way or the other...sometimes just a step up or back will do the trick.  If you show you are willing to work with them, they will usually adjust with you too.  Unless you are in PBUC, you won't get dinged for being one step away from a prescribed spot in B or C.  Those locations can adjust slightly according to the situation.

MiLBUD will not ding you if you're moving left or right to accommodate a fielder.

Edited by lawump
  • Like 1

I think it is ok to work with the fielders, because you may be in their way, a step forward or to the side won't hurt your angles - especially if they are playing in. If you work with them, then they will work with you. I will not move for a runner (and some have asked).

I will move a step or 2 if asked but I do not have to do it often as when I get to B or C as I turn and check with 2nd or short and stay or adjust from there. If they can see better they can make the play which should result in outs. Outs  equal innings and 7 or 9 innings means game over and I get to go home and find out which beer has my name on it. Of course it usually takes 2 to find it Iam an  umpire and vision can be off sometime

• Like 2

@alan2703. Many of my local partners do this too. I was never taught that. I guess I don't care if I'm in their way. I will move a step or two if asked. Sometimes in C I'm asked by runners although I DO NOT turn to check who is asking. I think I'm quick enough and game savvy enough for the levels I work that a step or two either direction makes no difference to my positioning for calls in two or three man crews. 

However, my partners who take their eyes off of F1 while the ball is live with runners on base are NOT my favorites to work with. It occurs so often here that I'm actually in the minority so I don't say anything unless they ask in post game what I have for them. Then I say something. 

My .02, YMMV. 

• Like 1

In addition to fielders, how about accommodating R2 who tries to use you as a shield to block F1/F2's view of him.  Have one player I see a lot, small, skinny and very fast, "hey ump, 1 step to the right please", or "2 steps right"  While I acknowledge the request but never turn around, I always thought it was F6 making the making request, until I learned it was R2.  Now I know its him, I may move and take a step, but often don't

In addition to fielders, how about accommodating R2 who tries to use you as a shield to block F1/F2's view of him.  Have one player I see a lot, small, skinny and very fast, "hey ump, 1 step to the right please", or "2 steps right"  While I acknowledge the request but never turn around, I always thought it was F6 making the making request, until I learned it was R2.  Now I know its him, I may move and take a step, but often don't

​Using the ump as a shield? They can do that no matter where you set up, so that shouldn't matter. If the F1 and F2 can't see the runner, then they should take a guess that he is behind the umpire - simple. If they are using the shield to get  jump, then the infielders should be calling out the steal so not a big deal.

I very rarely hear from 2B, it is usually the SS asking. Know the situation and a quick glance toward the fielder, and you can adjust slightly without them asking. B & C positions are areas - I am sure all of us don't set up in the same spot, so as long as you can get the angles - set in the area.

@alan2703. Many of my local partners do this too. I was never taught that. I guess I don't care if I'm in their way. I will move a step or two if asked. Sometimes in C I'm asked by runners although I DO NOT turn to check who is asking. I think I'm quick enough and game savvy enough for the levels I work that a step or two either direction makes no difference to my positioning for calls in two or three man crews. 

However, my partners who take their eyes off of F1 while the ball is live with runners on base are NOT my favorites to work with. It occurs so often here that I'm actually in the minority so I don't say anything unless they ask in post game what I have for them. Then I say something. 

My .02, YMMV. 

​Well put Majordave. No reason to turn & look at an infielder whos asking you to move a step one way or the other. Hearing is the sense needed in this situation. BU should NOT take his eyes off the pitcher to look at an infielder.

• Like 1

Thanks Woodie. I forgot to mention in my post above that the partners I speak of are actually turning away from a pitcher with a live ball to ASK the fielders if the umpire's positioning is okay. WTF!  I DON'T CARE. Stop taking eyes off of a LIVE ball please. 

• Like 2

Thanks Woodie. I forgot to mention in my post above that the partners I speak of are actually turning away from a pitcher with a live ball to ASK the fielders if the umpire's positioning is okay. WTF!  I DON'T CARE. Stop taking eyes off of a LIVE ball please. 

​You are preaching the gospel. Some guys just dont get "it". You are spot on correct.