Who is your favorite Umpire?

GAS1124
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3229 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Couldn't identify a single one, and would never have a "favorite" to watch.  You (we) can learn a thing or two by watching them as a group, but having a favorite seems appropriate only for a teenage girl.  And, I say that meaning no disrespect to any teenage girls here.

• Like 2

I like so many for different reasons. 

• Gerry Davis - He's unflappable. Nobody gets under his skin and he has such a great presence on the field. Always cool calm and collected.
  • Jim Wolf & Jeff Nelson - I think of these guys as the mold for the next generation of umpires. Athletic, fit, great appearance and presence, approachable and handle situations well. 
  • Lance Barksdale & Dan Iassogna  - I use to say this about one of my all time favorite umpires Tim Tschida too, but Lance & Dan just look like they're having fun out there.

I could go down the list and probably point out something I like about each of them. 

• Like 2

I don't know if I have a favorite - but I do have respect for:

Jim Joyce - ability to control the game, but also loves the game enough to admit errors

Jeff Nelson - for hustle

My favorites to watch (not because of mechanics, but because of what they do/did) Bruce Froemming - cause he just took a beating every night behind the plate and Joe West, because he has 'the look' and no one seems to mess with him. I also smile when he gets a banger at 1B and he just gives it an everyday out. :)

• Like 1

- Gerry Davis for the demeanor

- Bob Davidson for coach-umpire relations 

- Jim Joyce for the mustache (with a honorable mention to Hahn when he had the 'stache)

- Jim Wolf and Jerry Layne for their stare-down abilities

- Fieldin Culbreth for his screaming ability

- Bill Welke because he gives as good as he gets

- Laz Diaz because he is a Marine

That's it for now

Couldn't identify a single one, and would never have a "favorite" to watch.  You (we) can learn a thing or two by watching them as a group, but having a favorite seems appropriate only for a teenage girl.  And, I say that meaning no disrespect to any teenage girls here.

​really? LOL ....

one day I'll be as cool as noumpere :nod:

• Like 2