Crew Consult Leads to No-Tag Call

CricketChapman
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3228 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

First, this was a 4-man game. All SEC conference games use four umpires. 

Second, I know the 90 degree guideline is good for throws coming to the first baseman, but first basemen don't take throws by reaching toward the throw anymore if it is coming from the plate area or along the first base line. They put their left foot on the base and square up to the throw to see around the runner. Personally I think the best place to take a throw coming from along the first base line or near the plate is about one step off the line. 

Third, if we can learn something from the actual play itself, it is that U1 should have adjusted and moved once he realized the BR started to retreat and there was going to be a tag play. 

Finally, I would also like to know if the PU ever signaled anything. It doesn't appear that U1 ever does, but he is pointing at something. Maybe pointing that he has a tag? The Mississippi State coach seems to think that someone called the BR out, hence the reason they stopped playing. After the crew conference, the PU makes the safe signal, so that leads me to believe that he made the original out call. 

As far as I know, there is nothing in the NCAA rules that explicitly prohibits the umpires from changing this call. 

Very interesting situation.  One would have to think that U2 or U3 had some additional information in order to have the call changed.  I watched it a few times and it appears U2 would have had a great angle on the play, IF he was watching....and that's a big IF. 

Also....this is a little off topic, but the announcers were actually really good in their commentary for once!!  I'd like to see if the NCAA comes out with a bulletin relating to this play. 

Very interesting situation.  One would have to think that U2 or U3 had some additional information in order to have the call changed.  I watched it a few times and it appears U2 would have had a great angle on the play, IF he was watching....and that's a big IF. 

​Why is it a big if? Watch the ball, glance at runners. What else is he watching, R1 standing on 2B?

​Why is it a big if? Watch the ball, glance at runners. What else is he watching, R1 standing on 2B?

Do you know for a fact U2 was watching the play by the video clips posted?  You obviously know something that I don't. 

Edited by GoodOldGus
typo

Do you know for a fact U2 was watching the play by the video clips posted?  You obviously know something that I don't. 

​Your point was that U2 would have a great angle on the play, which is true. But you said it's unlikely he was watching (it's a "big IF").

I think, to the contrary, that it's very likely U2 was watching, and I said why. These guys are mechanically sound, and good mechanics have us watching the ball, glancing at runners. Ergo, he was likely watching.

In any case, perhaps we can agree that he should have been watching, which is a lesson for those of us who work 3- and 4-umpire mechanics.

I'm not sure where your question is going....

Yes, I can agree that U2 should have been watching and yes it's a great lesson to be learned.  I can also understand how my "Big If" in my original post was misleading. 

Second, I know the 90 degree guideline is good for throws coming to the first baseman, but first basemen don't take throws by reaching toward the throw anymore if it is coming from the plate area or along the first base line. They put their left foot on the base and square up to the throw to see around the runner. Personally I think the best place to take a throw coming from along the first base line or near the plate is about one step off the line. 

That's good information and it makes sense.

The expected call here is an out, they should get the out.  Call it whatever you want, but he's out.

​If we're only supposed to make the 'expected call', why are we out there in the first place? Let the crowd call it by applause. 

• Like 1

I think I need to clarify. 

By all means, if you see it, call what you see.....I'm not disputing that and I'm certainly not saying to "make sh!t up".    I'm talking about NOT clearly being able to tell if the tag was applied or not.......being straight-lined and such.   That's when I think the expected call should be made.

Get the call right the first time.  get the call right the second time.  Somethings cannot be fixed most can - the pitcher knew he didn't tag the runner. That is all that needs to be said. Is it a cluster yes.  but on this things can be corrected.