MLB Ejection 046: Bob Davidson (1; Don Mattingly)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3237 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

3B Umpire Bob Davidson ejected Dodgers Manager Don Mattingly for arguing a Replay Review decision that affirmed 1B Umpire Jerry Layne's catch (out) call in the bottom of the 4th inning of the Marlins-Dodgers game. With none out and none on, Dodgers batter Howie Kendrick hit a 1-1 fastball from...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

I don't think it "clearly" did anything, and that's the issue.  The decision on replay would have been "stands" either way.  It might have hit the ground.  Shoot, it probably hit the ground.  But the umpires in NY need to SEE it hit the ground to overturn the call.

• Like 1

I don't think it "clearly" did anything, and that's the issue.  The decision on replay would have been "stands" either way.  It might have hit the ground.  Shoot, it probably hit the ground.  But the umpires in NY need to SEE it hit the ground to overturn the call.

The angle shown several times, including at 2:17, clearly shows the ball hitting the ground. You can see where the front edge of his glove is, and you can see the ball bounce short of it.

The angle shown several times, including at 2:17, clearly shows the ball hitting the ground. You can see where the front edge of his glove is, and you can see the ball bounce short of it.

​I saw it differently.  The edge of the glove is obscured, and the ball bounces right on that spot.  There's no actual evidence that the ball touched the grass - certainly not enough to overturn the call.  Also, every other angle made it look like a clean catch.  My opinion is that it probably hit the ground, but probably isn't enough to overturn.

• Like 3

​I saw it differently.  The edge of the glove is obscured, and the ball bounces right on that spot.  There's no actual evidence that the ball touched the grass - certainly not enough to overturn the call.  Also, every other angle made it look like a clean catch.  My opinion is that it probably hit the ground, but probably isn't enough to overturn.

​Right, which is why they didn't overturn it.  

...and Jerry Layne didn't have any of the replays which we saw to make a decision.  All he had was real-time.  

As the PGA ads say..."These guys are good!"

​There is NO irrefutable video evidence that the ball hit the grass. Love how some of you guys swear they missed the call. No better than fans nor Mattingly!

​it's not the call on the field I'm talking about ...........

YOU honestly see a catch here?  And I'm not a Dodger, Mattingly or anyone else fan .......

It's close and those are good shots.  What we can't see and I'm guessing New York agrees, is where the top of his glove is w/ respect to the baseball. 

I just don't see anything conclusive there.  As you said if the ball is on the ground there, me, Jerry Layne and New York replay aren't good enough to see the ball on the ground there.

Funny though, w/o replay we'd still be having this same discussion.  Except in this case w/o replay there probably wouldn't have been an ejection.

• Like 3

​There is NO irrefutable video evidence that the ball hit the grass. Love how some of you guys swear they missed the call. No better than fans nor Mattingly!

I'm sorry. I didn't realize I couldn't look at a video and offer an opinion.

Edited by hbk314

​it's not the call on the field I'm talking about ...........

YOU honestly see a catch here?  And I'm not a Dodger, Mattingly or anyone else fan .......

​Keep in mind, the calling umpire saw it ONE time in REAL time. How many times have you had to make a call on a close call? Stop being one of THOSE guys who wants to argue EVERYTHING.

​Keep in mind, the calling umpire saw it ONE time in REAL time. How many times have you had to make a call on a close call? Stop being one of THOSE guys who wants to argue EVERYTHING.

​Dude, lighten up, it's just a discussion among brothers.