First EJ/Rough Game/I Want to Quit

nicshow
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3260 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This was my 9th varsity game this year. I did about that many last year. I did at least twice that many JV games last year and probably 3 times that many this year.

As I have been reflecting, I think one of the problems with that game was that I've been working with an expanded or liberal strike zone for all those JV games and most of the Varsity games. And I've had little criticism because most pitchers need a bigger zone. But, in this game, they were not loving my zone. I think I would have had little problem had I called a zone closer to the book and I'm open to dealing with that issue.

I think the point that has been raised is a good one - about jumping into Varsity games before one is ready. There are farm more games than umps but I need to be much more careful about what games I accept.

Nic

​Certainly game volume counts for something, too.  If you're only doing HS games, it sounds like you're working 20- to 30-something games a year?  It may take twenty times that many games before you really feel good and consistent, so don't tap out of this gig so soon.  Some guys have told me it has taken them five years of 150-200 games per year before they felt good about things.  Have the patience required for your own development and learning curve.  It takes time and lots, lots of games.

Edited by ElkOil
  • Like 1

Don't quit. Every once in a while you're going to have these idiots no matter how much experience you have.

Here's some things I'll add to the great advice above:

Assistant coaches are to be seen and not heard. In youth ball, it's in my plate meeting. "Head coaches only on the field. If assistants have a question, they must go to you and you can talk to us." Plate meetings in youth ball aren't going to be as simple or short as they are in HS or College. Daddy coaches don't understand the decorum nor do they have the same consequences as paid and trained coaches do for breaking decorum. My plate meeting has morphed a few times as I've heard senior umpires do theirs or they've said to leave things out of mine. I've added things and taken away things but always kept it shortish and direct. Also, memorize the plate meeting speel, when you go to the plate role it out of your mouth like you've said it 10,000 times. Make sure it's said sharp, quick, and matter of factly. "Um's" aren't authoritative, commanding, or knowledgeable. 

​Don't allow the bucket brigades. Make them stay in the dugout. Especially if you ever do one man games. Bucket brigades breed problems. 

​Never get with your partner and a coach. Always pull your partner in, talk where you can't be heard, make a decision and then inform the coach. Letting the coaches in on those conversations can lead to discrediting you further into the game. 

​If a game is deteriorating, many times (I've been guilty of this) your calls get less crisp, loud, and direct. Start crisp, loud, and direct and stay that way. It keeps the authoritive judgement perception in your corner. 

​Don't allow sideline calls from the coaches. "balk", "got him", "safe" or whatever. When you hear these. Go talk to the head coach. Explain to him that it's confusing the kids. They have to be listening for the call from the umpire. The kids can't listen to you, the umpire, if the coaches are shouting over you. Coaching is fine, but sideline making calls isn't.

Ignore the fans and leave the rabbit ears at home. Never engage them. You have to find that ignore switch in your head. If they start affecting the players on the field, then go to the head coach and tell him they are his responsibility. If he can't get them to stop affecting the game, then he pays the consequences. Coaches don't generally want to get tossed because little Jimmy's mom is out of hand. 

​If you don't have to fill out ejection reports, then keep an umpires journal. Write down how things went down and what caused a dumping of a coach. Sometimes the dumped coach will go to his associations director who will then email or call your UIC pissing and moaning that UIC's crappy umpire dumped his fabulous innocent daddy coach for no reason. Having the facts handy gives you all the credibility. I've seen a few daddy coaches booted out of associations for lying and loosing credibility with directors. 

​My first year was full of chirpy coaches (who were often right on how much I sucked), crappy ball, horrible fans, and I ate a lot of sh*t sandwiches. My first year I wasn't allowed to dump coaches unless they got really really bad. It was a part of learning game management, pushing me to learn rules, and seeing if I had the stones to stick it out. I learned so much my first year and it pushed me in the off season (and even now) to learn where I could be better. My first year was a real humbling experience. A lot of guys won't agree with that process, but it worked on me. Now, 50 games into my second year, I've had no issues that I couldn't shut down, but even they are few and far between. 

​What does your plate meeting sound like for youth ball?

I have felt your pain along with everyone else here.  Use this as a learning opportunity.  Take any questionable plays you remember and look through rulebooks, umpire manuals, caseplays, and mechanics literature to evaluate yourself.  Did you apply the right rule?  Were you really in good position?  What could you have done better?

Nothing wrong with a healthy strike zone if both teams are getting the calls.  See the ball all the way into the glove, wait to hear the pop, decide, and call.  Especially on the no-brainer strikes.  This will help get you into a good rhythm.  In fact, take your time on all calls.  It's nothing until you call it.  Making calls should be a conscious decision, not a knee-jerk reflex.  This will sound a little weird but I will watch baseball on television and work on my timing as far as announcing balls and strikes.  Surprisingly this will help - if you are doing it at the same speed or faster than the umpire on television, you are going too fast.

As most umpires on here will tell you, fans generally do not know the rules - pay them no mind unless they threaten you or someone else on the field with violence.  If this happens, this should be handled by a UIC, tournament director, school administrator, and/or police.  Stop the game if necessary and inform both coaches why you are stopping it if this happens.  Anything like this that gets out of hand could place yourself and others at risk and it is our first responsibility to ensure the safety of game participants.

Ejection Criteria:  Ignore, Acknowledge, Warn, Eject and 3 P's (Personal, Profane, Prolonged).  

Hustling from one position to another and keeping the game going will prevent a comment from turning into an argument.  They will get over it once play continues, if not - then they had their opportunity to talk to you about it.  We are moving on.  Play on!

Don't try to convince a coach that you are right.  Inform them of what the decision is, the pertinent rule, and why you made it if asked in a sportsmanlike manner.  At the end of it all, it's your decision that stands.  The only recourse they have is to file a protest and anything involving judgment is not applicable to protest.  They complain because it's the only thing they can do. 

Baseball is a game of emotion - react and judge certain actions, phrases, and comments accordingly.  

Don't grant time to a coach to come argue balls or strikes.  If they disregard, you might give them a stop sign and if they start up with the conversation, dump them.  They know what they are doing - don't let them get away with it.  However, if you call a healthy zone, work with the catchers, and do this consistently - you shouldn't have this problem. 

Work with the catchers and call strikes.   

Game management can suck - read "Verbal Judo".  It changed my life and it will change yours as well!

Good luck and call strikes!

Edited by bluejerred
  • Like 1

They weren't loving your zone when on offense, They loved you on Defense.

You are spot on to evaluate your part in this and adjust if necessary. But always remember this, if they love you all the time, you may not be doing your job.

If your association has the confidence to assign you, take the game and learn something from every game you work and everyone you work with. It will be something to do, or something not to do.

Nobody goes to the ball park to watch a walk-fest.

@UmpIowa a regular season game:

Introduction 

​Who is the home team?

Are all your player properly, safely, and legally equipped? 

Gentleman, we are under Utrip (99% USSSA around here) rules so it's straight up baseball. Balks are [one warning per pitcher for 12u and under, straight up for 13u and over] Hour fifty with 15, 12, and 8 after 3, 4, 5 [or 15 and 8 after 3 and 4 for 12u and under]. Head coaches only on the fields. If assistants have a question they must go to you and you can then come to us. No buckets on the field (this one I sometimes leave out if I KNOW the coaches aren't squawkers). Please use courtesy runners for pitchers and catchers, hustle your players in and out, and have players keep one foot in the Box, this will keep the game moving as we'd like to get all 7 [6] in. [special field rules, if any] Gentlemen, do you have any questions? Your game time is - - - -. 

It seems long but I can run it in less than a minute including coaches answers. 

• Like 2

Coach was debating balls and strikes from the dugout which I tolerated without addressing for quite a while. Inning ended on a back door curve ball that was clearly a strike. 1st base coach came to me as he was returning to dugout and said "You have to fix something." I asked him to repeat it which he did and I told him that was enough. He continuedarrow-10x10.png on to dugout where head coach was, in similar ways, questioning that pitch and my strike zone in general. I warned him by saying "that's enough coach, I've heard enough" and pointed my palm in his direction. He replied "really, is that enough, you've heard enough?" Again I said "that's enough coach." He made one more comment in response (which I do not now remember but I do know that it was directed at me) and I told him he was gone.

It just went downhill from there. The crowds on both side were uttering their stupid comments "that was a strike against us last inning" and other general, inane comments. I finally heard a "you're a dumbass." I called time and turned around and told the crowd that if they continuedarrow-10x10.png they were putting their team in jeopardy and I warned the coach if they didn't settle down, he would be restricted. He immediately told them to be quiet.

Then, something happened (a passed ball I believe)and I second-guessed whether I clicked my indicator so I asked my partner for the count. 2-1. 2 more balls and the batter just stood there and told him that was 4 and people went nuts. I met with my partner and the coach and expected that my partner would say that he had the same count but he just hung me out to dry.

I'm not sure it's worth the $50.

Any advice, critique, suggestionsarrow-10x10.png?

Nic

​Just a few things. First, don't ever talk to the crowd. I learned this early on.  Think of it this way. Those people want you to respond.  If you respond, it will get worse. If you're hearing a lot of profanity, then look for someone in charge, (ie. TD or League board member) and let them know between innings what is going on. In my experience, I find that if my zone is consistent, eventually the kids start swinging at the pitches you're calling, the ball gets put into play, and by the 2nd or 3rd inning the chirping stops. If you feel like you're struggling with your zone, slow down. Take it one pitch at a time. Let the ball hit the glove, see it, and then call it. If you're confident that you're doing a good job, what those people say won't even matter. In addition, work as many games as you can. I think a lot of guys struggle because they just don't work enough games. Experience is so important. Last year, I worked over 300 games and the difference between my performance in April and November was like night and day. The more situations you see, the better you will get. You can go to all the clinics in the world, study the book inside and out, but if you don't work a lot of games, you won't get better.  And don't be afraid to work different age groups. Last weekend, I worked a tournament with 3 different age groups from 9u up to 14u. You will learn a lot about OBS, INT, and other rare calls working games with little guys. Also, I definitely agree that it's not worth $50 to put up with this stuff. But if you love the game and the job, the money is secondary, and it should be. If you're just working the games for money, it will show.  Don't give up, it gets better.

you got great advice, so here is my .02.....

years ago I had a similar night, ....made a bad call, got loose in the zone for an inning, had a run in with a coach, ended up in a ejection...... coach went off, and the words cut me to the core....bad umpire, no skill, no experience, you don't belong at this level, no game management and then he dropped the "I'm on the board and you'll never work in this league again" bomb....

I went home and called my assignor and told him what had happened and to expect the call from the league ....and that I guess I was going to be done....

He has passed on now, but I can still hear him laughing on the phone........

he said.....

• You have what it takes to be a fine umpire....
  • Keeping doing each game the best you can...
  • One game does not define a career
  • you will be umpiring far longer than that coach will be in baseball........ .

• Like 5

Introduction 

​Who is the home team?

Gentleman, we are under Utrip (99% USSSA around here) rules so it's straight up baseball. Balks are [one warning per pitcher for 12u and under, straight up for 13u and over] Hour fifty with 15, 12, and 8 after 3, 4, 5 [or 15 and 8 after 3 and 4 for 12u and under]. Head coaches only on the fields. If assistants have a question they must go to you and you can then come to us. No buckets on the field (this one I sometimes leave out if I KNOW the coaches aren't squawkers). Please use courtesy runners for pitchers and catchers, hustle your players in and out, and have players keep one foot in the Box, this will keep the game moving as we'd like to get all 7 [6] in. [special field rules, if any] Gentlemen, do you have any questions? Your game time is - - - -.

​This is a great example thank you.  I always like to see/hear what other umpires say in pregame as I have found that there are things that I think I should add or take out that are important.  Thank you again.

Introduction 

​Who is the home team?

Gentleman, we are under Utrip (99% USSSA around here) rules so it's straight up baseball. Balks are [one warning per pitcher for 12u and under, straight up for 13u and over] Hour fifty with 15, 12, and 8 after 3, 4, 5 [or 15 and 8 after 3 and 4 for 12u and under]. Head coaches only on the fields. If assistants have a question they must go to you and you can then come to us. No buckets on the field (this one I sometimes leave out if I KNOW the coaches aren't squawkers). Please use courtesy runners for pitchers and catchers, hustle your players in and out, and have players keep one foot in the Box, this will keep the game moving as we'd like to get all 7 [6] in. [special field rules, if any] Gentlemen, do you have any questions? Your game time is - - - - was 60 seconds ago.

​But that's a minute of my life that I'll never get back. I cringe when my partner goes over a limited number of rules at the plate meeting. I often wonder if that's all the ones he knows. No umpire that I respect does this. I address these issues if/when they arise.

• Like 3

​What does your plate meeting sound like for youth ball?

​As far as I'm concerned a plate meeting is a plate meeting, regardless of the age of the players.  If we're tracking lineups, we exchange the cards after intros and handshakes, and I take the game balls.  I'll verify if there's a time limit if I don't already know, as well as any special rules they may have (like a per-inning run limit or no head-first sliding for 13U games).  Then we go over any peculiar features of the field.  Then it's final handshakes, a "good luck" and we're playing ball.  

Too many umpires make too much out of the plate meeting, in my opinion.  I've worked with guys who set behavior limits, sound like they're admonishing coaches, or ramble on about irrelevant stuff as if they're afraid to no longer hear themselves talk.  None of that is appropriate, as far as I'm concerned, because it sounds insecure and unprofessional.  I do not go over behavioral expectations.  Although well-intended, I find that to be demeaning and it sets a negative, untrusting tone at the outset.  I worked with one guy who insists on telling the coaches who can talk and to whom they can talk, then he goes on telling the coaches how we aren't perfect and we'll try our best, yadda yadda yadda...  It's gets to be too much and is not well received.  Frankly, it's embarrassing.

For anything else, I'm with @ricka56 and address it as it comes.  

• Like 1

Most everyone else has given you good advice so far so i will not restate their stuff.

But please remember the following:

1. There are three teams on a field, Home team, visiting team, and umpiring crew. You are just as important as the other two. Without you there is no game.

2. Fans are biased idiots, ignore them unless you need to eject them. To do that call game management in. 

3. Most HC's are nice off the field, but have no idea what the rules are. All they want from you is the next call, many of them think they can intimidate you. to get what they want if they yell often enough, or find you weak point. Never forget. Ignore, look, warn, restrict, eject. 

4 Many Asst coaches are known as 'Rats' with good reason. They are to be seen and not heard. Most are completely clueless, if they start squeaking at you, dump 'em or restrict 'em and the HC to the dugout.

5. Players know nothing about the rules of the game, and all they seem to do is whine. Lay down the law to F2 early on, and you will have no problems with them. 

6. You as an umpire are part of the educational process of young men, that includes teaching them how to win, how to lose, how to deal with authority figures, and how to deal with tough breaks, as they will in life. Be an educator by your example, how you carry yourself, and how you demand your game should be run.

DO NOT QUIT  :angry:

Edited by jkumpire

​Certainly game volume counts for something, too.  If you're only doing HS games, it sounds like you're working 20- to 30-something games a year?  It may take twenty times that many games before you really feel good and consistent, so don't tap out of this gig so soon.  Some guys have told me it has taken them five years of 150-200 games per year before they felt good about things.  Have the patience required for your own development and learning curve.  It takes time and lots, lots of games.

​150-200 a year??  Dear Lord, where on Earth are you at??  Are there like five guys that can work?

I'm back for my second run with this association, and with the two different assignors I've had, my best year (not counting rainouts, or games I've been paid for because of screw-ups by a team/league) has been 93 games in a calendar year.  I think we have plenty of baseball here, but we ALSO have 140 umpires to spread the games around to.  (Not to mention rec ball and HS overlap somewhat, so even people that makes themselves available can't just rack up the numbers.)

Either that, or I suck, and this is the way my assignors let me know that.  Might go either way.

In Houston when I worked a lot I would get 300 games a year. I know several that umpire full time and do around 500. I don't work as much now because somehow I got fat and old.

​150-200 a year??  Dear Lord, where on Earth are you at??  Are there like five guys that can work?

I'm back for my second run with this association, and with the two different assignors I've had, my best year (not counting rainouts, or games I've been paid for because of screw-ups by a team/league) has been 93 games in a calendar year.  I think we have plenty of baseball here, but we ALSO have 140 umpires to spread the games around to.  (Not to mention rec ball and HS overlap somewhat, so even people that makes themselves available can't just rack up the numbers.)

Either that, or I suck, and this is the way my assignors let me know that.  Might go either way.

​We're in Texas and my association does three leagues; all the select ball, high school and adult stuff from February through the end of November with 89 umpires.  There is more ball than any of us can handle, so we're all flat out.  We've had a particularly rainy year so far, so there have been a lot of cancellations.  In the past three months, counting cancelled games, I've had over 80 scheduled.  June and July get real busy with country tournaments, so we're gearing up for travel and doing 15 games per weekend.  You can easily work over 250 a year here.

​Counting snow and rain outs and doing no more than two games in a day so far, I have been scheduled for 60 games. 10 rec games and the rest are HS Varsity.There is plenty of work for everyone if they want to work here.