Managing Substitutions/Lineup Cards

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4751 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Well, I tried my new system ysterday and it worked very well. I was able to record changes quickly and immediately without delaying the game. Also, I was able to fill out the numbers on both cards before the first pitcher had thrown his 8 warm up pitches. I have attached a scan of the 2 lineup cards that I made. It's easy to see where everything goes, with the exception of the defensive conferences. Those are recorded to the right of the manager's name in the 3 boxes. I just write the inning in which the conference was charged. I printed these in card stock and they fit perfectly in my lineup card holder.

lineups.JPG

Here's my lineups from today's game.

On Nazareth's card:

1. CR on the top left. This should have been CRC (for Courtesy Runner Catcher), but I knew it was the catcher -- the coach mentioned before the game that he doesn't CR for his pitcher. Usually, I'll put the inning, such as 20-2; I don't know why I didn't.
  2. Vis on the left margin. This is visits to the pitcher. I mark all visits, then X out the ones where a change was made. As you can see, there were two visits in the 6th, but the coach made a pitching change for the first visit.
  3. #4 Lineup Spot. #4 came in as a pitcher.
  4. #5 Lineup Spot. #34 came in for #32, then #32 re-entered later. Some people will circle the original name, add the sub, then cross out the sub on the re-entry. I prefer to strike through all my changes. I should use the "Substitutes" spot, but I keep my cards folded (you can see the crease) for my card holder and it's easier to just write next to the names.
On Parkway Central's card:

1. Ryan just below "Opponent". HC's name. I couldn't remember it (I kept thinking Andy for some reason), so I wrote it there. I had no problem remembering VC's name.
  2. Vis on left margin. Again, visits to the mound. He was a busy coach, going to the mound in the 3rd, 4th, and 7th (three times!). The first one scratched out was me thinking we were in the 4th when it was really the 3rd. Obviously, changes were made in the 4th and 7th.
  3. #6 Lineup Spot. It's a bit confusing, but it made sense during the game. #11 was DH for #10. At some point, #19 came in as a new pitcher. Later in the game, #11 came in as the pitcher, removing the DH and making it a straight 9. Later, #3 (lineup spot #1) came in as the pitcher, moving #11 to shortstop.
  4. #9 Lineup Spot. #17 came in, then #12 re-entered later.
My method isn't perfect, but it works. I need to remember to fold my lineups so I can see the positions; this will make CRs easier to verify; however, I try to remember the numbers of my F1 and F2, so it's not usually an issue.

On Parkway Central's card:

1. Ryan just below "Opponent". HC's name. I couldn't remember it (I kept thinking Andy for some reason), so I wrote it there. I had no problem remembering VC's name.
Why couldn't you just look on the bottom of the card, right next to the horse's a$$ :question1::D :D :D

Why couldn't you just look on the bottom of the card, right next to the horse's a$ :question1::D :D :D

You can't see it, but I folded the card just below the 9th spot. Plus, I didn't want to look at a horse's a$$ every time I opened my holder.

Well, I tried my new system ysterday and it worked very well. I was able to record changes quickly and immediately without delaying the game. Also, I was able to fill out the numbers on both cards before the first pitcher had thrown his 8 warm up pitches. I have attached a scan of the 2 lineup cards that I made. It's easy to see where everything goes, with the exception of the defensive conferences. Those are recorded to the right of the manager's name in the 3 boxes. I just write the inning in which the conference was charged. I printed these in card stock and they fit perfectly in my lineup card holder.

how in the world do you read that?

I learned a way at Pro school that has saved me a ton of time.. I use letters.

A for the 1st sub, then B, C.. so on and so on..

Since it's my system, it all makes perfect sense to me. It's now 3 days later and I can still go back and see what each team did. The key, for me, is that I don't have to unfold/fold those flimsy lineups given to me by the managers, and I can record the changes much faster. I used it Saturday too and I love it.

Since it's my system, it all makes perfect sense to me. It's now 3 days later and I can still go back and see what each team did. The key, for me, is that I don't have to unfold/fold those flimsy lineups given to me by the managers, and I can record the changes much faster. I used it Saturday too and I love it.

Ok, you dont have to get all butt hurt on me here..LOL

But if there is a suspended game, and you need to give the lineup cards to the next guy, do you think he can read it?

Ok, you dont have to get all butt hurt on me here..LOL

But if there is a suspended game, and you need to give the lineup cards to the next guy, do you think he can read it?

Not sure how what I wrote translates to butt hurt, but whatever. If there is a suspended game, I can pretty easily go back and write on the original lineups given to me by the managers.

I was just giving you a bad time...LOL..:beerbang

what I meant, if you can't come back and work the same game, can your partners read who was put in for a sub.. remember, it might not be only you reading the lineup card.

That's what I meant. I would just put the substitutions/conferences/warnings on the original lineup cards in a format that is unmistakeable to the next umpire. I don't think I would give him my card, because, as you pointed out, it would be hard for them to decipher.

I will be so glad when we are able to do this on an electronic device. When the changes are made it would reflect on the home book. Something besided the way it is done now. Just a thought..

Who pays for the device you use? That's gonna be a huge chunk of change if I have to pay for it.

I will be so glad when we are able to do this on an electronic device. When the changes are made it would reflect on the home book. Something besided the way it is done now. Just a thought..

Who pays for the device you use? That's gonna be a huge chunk of change if I have to pay for it.

It will just be an app for an Iphone or Droid. :)

It will just be an app for an Iphone or Droid. :)

That would be another item with a bullseye on it. Just like tornados find trailer parks, a baseball will find that.

Found this http://www.maxpreps....spx?src=housead Looks like the program is already out there for the iPhone and iPad and android.

Here is the address to download the apps http://www.gamechanger.io/download

There is also an indicator app for an I phone. Of course that is presupposing I would buy anything that is assciated with I Crap.