Managing Substitutions/Lineup Cards

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4732 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This is the first year I have had to manage substitutions (first year HS umpire) because I have been doing Little League and our league uses CBO through Majors. I use an Ump-Attire lineup card holder, which gives me a surface to write on, but I am having trouble recording everything in a timely manner. There are times that the pitcher, catcher and batter are all ready, but I'm not! Not my preference AT ALL. Of course, many times the managers don't give me their substitutions right away, which slows things down even more.

I want to be sure that I record everything accurately, because the last thing I want is a manager claiming an illegal substitute, and my records not being correct. Part of the problem is that the lineup cards are pretty large, and I have to fold them about 3 ways to fit them into the lineup holder. I have toyed with the idea of printing out my own card (on an index card) and transposing the numbers of the players on it so that I can mark them down quickly without having to unfold the lineup cards. An index card fits easily in the little sleeve of the Ump-Attire lineup holder.

How do you manage substitutions without it taking forever? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In HS the subs are required to be listed. When the manager coes out to make a change, do it as he gives it. First we don't care about positions except F1 and F2. When gives you a change, write the number of the sub beside the starter and draw a line through the sub's name in the sub list. Do that as many ties as needed. Then turn to the other dugout and announce the subs, 3 for 7, 14 for 2, so forth. The positions can be given when the base coach goes over by their dugout next time. They shouldn't need spelling because they have the sub list just like you. Now if the starter comes back in, cross through the sub's number and circle the starter's name, that shows he has reentered. If he gets pulled again, cross through his name to show he has no more reentry.

Where the lineups are too big for the wallet, fold them as you check them at the plate conference. once folded write on the back which team is which. I put the visiters in the left, home in the right. Also on the back I put F1-CR F2-CR Visits I put that on the back of both and when they use a CR I just write the number beside the right player. When he makes a defensive visit I mark that and I don't have to open it for any of that. Any other questions, ask away.

• Like 1

In HS the subs are required to be listed. When the manager coes out to make a change, do it as he gives it. First we don't care about positions except F1 and F2. When gives you a change, write the number of the sub beside the starter and draw a line through the sub's name in the sub list. Do that as many ties as needed. Then turn to the other dugout and announce the subs, 3 for 7, 14 for 2, so forth. The positions can be given when the base coach goes over by their dugout next time. They shouldn't need spelling because they have the sub list just like you. Now if the starter comes back in, cross through the sub's number and circle the starter's name, that shows he has reentered. If he gets pulled again, cross through his name to show he has no more reentry.

Where the lineups are too big for the wallet, fold them as you check them at the plate conference. once folded write on the back which team is which. I put the visiters in the left, home in the right. Also on the back I put F1-CR F2-CR Visits I put that on the back of both and when they use a CR I just write the number beside the right player. When he makes a defensive visit I mark that and I don't have to open it for any of that. Any other questions, ask away.

That's pretty similar to what I do today, with some slight differences. I also use an index card for visits - I draw three circles for each team and then they use a visit, I put the inning number of when they made the visit in the circle. I also draw triangles on the card for offensive visits - just a precaution for those long innings. We don't allow courtesy runners in southern California, so no need to worry about those. Thanks for the ideas!

I do it similarly to that, but you also need to check to be sure the courtesy runner is eligible and that if theres a pinch hitter late in an inning that he wasnt a courtesy runner earlier that inning.

Who cares if the pitcher, batter, and catcher are all ready while you're making a line-up change. What's important is that you record the line-up change on your card correctly. Just ask Lance Barksdale, Joe Maddon, and Freddi Gonzalez about that. What ever system you decide to use, take your time! When your change is made, put the card neatly back in your pocket or wherever else you keep it, tuck your pen / pencil away, take a breath, mask on, breath, play.

You will eventually get faster at this, but don't ever feel that you are "delaying" the game to make a line-up change.

One tip .... use a RED pen or marker (or another uncommon color). I have yet to ever see a manager use a red pen on his lineup card. So, by using red, you can easily differentiate between the manager's writing and your changes.

Also, instead of writing the player's name when making changes, I use a number system. It cuts down on time tremendously.

For example, if Smith replaces Adams in the one spot for the first substitution of the game, I write a #1 beside Smith and Adams (signifying the substitution). If there is no re-entry I will cross out Adams name since he is now done. If there is re-entry, I will leave Adams name in the lineup (not crossed out) in case of re-entry later in the game.

If he re-enters, I will put a R next to the one slot (where I've written #1) and then cross out Smith since he is now done.

Then if Collins replaces Jones in the six slot for the second substitution of the game, I write #2 next to Collins and Jones to signify the sub.

If Stanley replaces Adams in the one spot (who has sub'd and re-entered), I write a #3 next to Stanley and next to #1 and R and would then cross out Adams name since he is done.

This probably doesn't make a lot of sence in print but it works for me and I feel it saves a ton of time. A senior umpire showed me this system number of years ago and I've used it ever since. Does anyone else use a similar system?

One tip .... use a RED pen or marker (or another uncommon color). I have yet to ever see a manager use a red pen on his lineup card. So, by using red, you can easily differentiate between the manager's writing and your changes.

Also, instead of writing the player's name when making changes, I use a number system. It cuts down on time tremendously.

For example, if Smith replaces Adams in the one spot for the first substitution of the game, I write a #1 beside Smith and Adams (signifying the substitution). If there is no re-entry I will cross out Adams name since he is now done. If there is re-entry, I will leave Adams name in the lineup (not crossed out) in case of re-entry later in the game.

If he re-enters, I will put a R next to the one slot (where I've written #1) and then cross out Smith since he is now done.

Then if Collins replaces Jones in the six slot for the second substitution of the game, I write #2 next to Collins and Jones to signify the sub.

If Stanley replaces Adams in the one spot (who has sub'd and re-entered), I write a #3 next to Stanley and next to #1 and R and would then cross out Adams name since he is done.

This probably doesn't make a lot of sence in print but it works for me and I feel it saves a ton of time. A senior umpire showed me this system number of years ago and I've used it ever since. Does anyone else use a similar system?

Doesn't everyone just use the players uniform numbers?

Who cares if the pitcher, batter, and catcher are all ready while you're making a line-up change. What's important is that you record the line-up change on your card correctly. Just ask Lance Barksdale, Joe Maddon, and Freddi Gonzalez about that. What ever system you decide to use, take your time! When your change is made, put the card neatly back in your pocket or wherever else you keep it, tuck your pen / pencil away, take a breath, mask on, breath, play.

You will eventually get faster at this, but don't ever feel that you are "delaying" the game to make a line-up change.

I hear you, and certainly my priority is recording the changes accurately. Nobody is complaining as I do this - I just want to come up with something more efficient. ukce1861 sent me a card he uses for Little League which looks great. I need to make some changes for high school, but it's something I think I will use. I have been putting something together that has 3 columns - first column is starter number. 2nd column is to record the sub for that starter, the 3rd column is to record a re-entry (or another sub). Most games I have done do not sub more than twice for the same spot in the order. Even if they did, there would still be room. There is a 4th column for a list of all the subs, and also a place to record charged defensive conferences (where I can write in the inning the conference was taken). Then just keep a copy of each team's lineup in my pocket in case we need to refer back to names. No unfolding/folding each time there is a sub. Easy visability for each card in my lineup holder. ukce1861 also made a great suggestion to print it out on card stock, so it's easier to handle on the field. I think another thing I need to do is use a "click" pen that doesn't have a cap to fiddle with.

When are you going to take the time to fill out the card you're going to use?

When I get to work on Thursday night, I'll scan the lineup cards from my last game. My markings take no time at all.

When are you going to take the time to fill out the card you're going to use?

When I get to work on Thursday night, I'll scan the lineup cards from my last game. My markings take no time at all.

Thanks in advance for scanning your cards. I would definitely like to see how you do it.

On the cards I made (just finished them), all I have to write is the numbers of the starters and subs (12-18 players on average), the name of the team, and the name of the coach. I will also record which player is the pitcher. For the DH, I will write the DH's number with a slash and then the number of the player he is hitting for. I don't think it will take any more than a minute or so to do it. My next game is Friday, so I'll report back on how it works.

I don't use a pencil because it can break. Also, I use the Ump-Attire Ultimate ball bag which has a slot for a pen, and it's wide enough for 2 pens (or I can just put a spare in the zipper pocket). Since it's in the ball bag, no need to worry about it leaking, or getting hit by a ball.

I don't use a pencil because it can break. Also, I use the Ump-Attire Ultimate ball bag which has a slot for a pen, and it's wide enough for 2 pens (or I can just put a spare in the zipper pocket). Since it's in the ball bag, no need to worry about it leaking, or getting hit by a ball.

:question1:

All of my ball bags have slots for pens. That's why I keep a pen in there and a bullet pencil with my card holder.:rolleyes:

I use to either just try to memorize it until the next natural break and say "Gotcha coach 23 for 6 in the 8 hole." With the intent of not breaking the flow of the game.

But last year I decided to take my time and do it right. I didn't have a situation but heard of too many.

It doesn't take as long as you think, just as long as you are well prepared to do it smoothly.

As for folding those oversize cards I fold them just so the 9 slots are visible with their name & number.

When a sub comes I draw a single line through the number and write the sub's number above.

If there is a re-entry I cross out the subs number and circle the starter's number.

If the starter comes out again I cross out his number and write the sub's # above it.

Now don't get your panties in a wad about me only using the number, it works, it saves time.

Pilot makes the G2 pen in a mini size it is a click pen with a clip roughly the same size as a bullet pencil and they come in a multitude of colors.

225176_sk_lg.jpg

Those are the exact ones I use. I was given one at work one day and fell in love with them. After I bought them, I realized they would work perfectly as a pen for umpiring. Haven't looked back since.

I use to either just try to memorize it until the next natural break and say "Gotcha coach 23 for 6 in the 8 hole." With the intent of not breaking the flow of the game.

One way this will backfire: the coach is using an ineligible substitute.

With an ineligible sub, as an umpire I doubt I'll ever know..

Was the kid EJ'd in a prior game and has to sit, played in the JV game earlier that day, or anything else.

The new listing the subs on the line up, but being able to add more at any time is a waste.

If an ineligible sub comes in, make your protest and lets get back to playing.

With an ineligible sub, as an umpire I doubt I'll ever know..

I apologize. I meant "illegal sub." One who has already entered the game or been used as a CR for the other position.