Right hander Pump Fake to 3rd?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2479 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Basically we're talking about the start of the 3-1 move correct?  But a left hander cannot do this towards first though right?  

​No, he can not. If you understand the rule, you know why.

3-1 move (RHP) illegal in OBR, Legal in Fed/NCAA.
1-3 move (LHP) illegal in all codes.

Can a right handed pitcher pump fake while stepping off the towards 3rd but not throw the ball with a runner on 3rd? 

​Does this mean in the process of disengaging the rubber, or stepping toward the base? If the pitcher has disengaged, he can fake all he wants, no?

​Does this mean in the process of disengaging the rubber, or stepping toward the base? If the pitcher has disengaged, he can fake all he wants, no?

​The pitcher can do whatever he wants after he has completely stepped behind the rubber with his pivot foot. Jumping in the air and landing with his pivot foot behind the base still counts as a play from the rubber.

Can a right handed pitcher pump fake while stepping off the towards 3rd but not throw the ball with a runner on 3rd? 

​This isn't clear. Did he step off the back of the rubber with his pivot foot, or did he step towards third with his free foot? makes all the difference in the world under OBR

​This isn't clear. Did he step off the back of the rubber with his pivot foot, or did he step towards third with his free foot? makes all the difference in the world under OBR

​No he was still engaged with the rubber while faking to 3rd. He did not step off the rubber while making the move to 3rd with a runner on. 

• 2 years later...
On 5/4/2015 at 1:30 AM, Richvee said:

Step and no throw to 3rd illegal in OBR and (Babe Ruth I believe?), legal everywhere else. 

Step and no throw to 1st. universally illegal. 

Can anyone help me find this ruling in the book...my partner and I had a discussion about this the other day and I can't seem to find it.  OBR and Babe Ruth would be great.  We were doing an adult game and they play OBR but we discussed BR too

5 minutes ago, Storm13 said:

Can anyone help me find this ruling in the book...my partner and I had a discussion about this the other day and I can't seem to find it.  OBR and Babe Ruth would be great.  We were doing an adult game and they play OBR but we discussed BR too

6.02(a)(3) CMT: "A pitcher ... is required to throw (except to second base) because he steps."

On 6/11/2017 at 5:16 PM, Storm13 said:

Here's the full rule and comment. 

6.02(a)(3) The pitcher, while touching his plate, fails to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base; 2017 Official Baseball Rules_2017 Official Baseball Rules 3/27/17 8:58 PM Page 71 Rule 6.02(a) 72 Rule 6.02(a )(3)

Comment (Rule 8.05(c) Comment ): Requires the pitcher, while touching his plate, to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base. If a pitcher turns or spins off of his free foot without actually stepping or if he turns his body and throws before stepping, it is a balk. A pitcher is to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base and is required to throw (except to second base) because he steps. It is a balk if, with runners on first and third, the pitcher steps toward third and does not throw, merely to bluff the runner back to third; then seeing the runner on first start for second, turn and step toward and throw to first base. It is legal for a pitcher to feint a throw to second base.

• Like 1