Big Call Of The Night-Hurdling the Catcher!

BillKen
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2588 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, stkjock said:

bringing back an older thread with related question

Is there a difference between hurdling the fielder vs. hurdling the fielder's glove?

picture F2 with the ball, waiting for R2 to score from second, F2s body is in front of home plate and inside the lines, his left hand extends with his glove one foot over the foul line

(know it's a bit farcical, however, it demonstrates the question as best I can describe it).  The funner then leaps over the glove only and touches the plate, under NFHS, is he called out for this hurdle or does the rule not apply as R2 did not actually hurdle F2s body.

Thanks for the thoughts

@stkjock With that scenario, here's the argument I would make as the HC; Are you sure he's "hurdling"? Because to me, he looks like he was just high-stepping!

• 2 weeks later...

In FED, isn't there a stipulation that in the case of a player lying prone to the ground a runner may go over top of that player to avoid any interference or malicious contact penalties?  I believe there is.  I've got nothing,  score the run.  In all other cases where fielder has ball waiting for runner, an out results from hurdling the fielder. 

1 hour ago, humanbackstop19 said:

In FED, isn't there a stipulation that in the case of a player lying prone to the ground a runner may go over top of that player to avoid any interference or malicious contact penalties?  I believe there is.  I've got nothing,  score the run.  In all other cases where fielder has ball waiting for runner, an out results from hurdling the fielder. 

The fielder need not be prone.

If a fielder is lying on the ground, then the runner may jump over the fielder -- the runner may not dive over the fielder.

If the fielder is not lying on the ground, the runner my jump / hurdle an outstretched arm, but may NOT jump / hurdle / dive over the fielder.

Whether the fielder has the ball is irrelevant.