Register or Sign In to remove these ads
BillKen

Big Call Of The Night-Hurdling the Catcher!

31 posts in this topic

R3-2 Out and a passed ball that rebounds high and hard back to the catcher.  Runner coming home as F2 receives the ball off the backstop while on his knees in the RH batters box.  He extends out and clearly has the ball and is nearly laying flat in the baseline...but not quite as he is trying to make a tag attempt at the runner.  R3 hurdles him and makes a great swipe in to barely beat the tag and everyone can see that he got the hand in there!  I point at the catcher and loudly announce that the runner is out for hurdling the defender.

HTHC obviously wants to visit about it and agrees that I got the rule right 100% (which I appreciated because it got the crowd off me instantly) but wants me to answer the question, "What is my runner supposed to do there Bill?"  Its a great question with an answer that just isn't very good...he can retreat or try and go around without going outside the 3-ft lane, or he can give up.  HTHC was a pro about it...wasn't upset...just had a hard time with the conundrum.

1 person likes this

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

R3-2 Out and a passed ball that rebounds high and hard back to the catcher.  Runner coming home as F2 receives the ball off the backstop while on his knees in the RH batters box.  He extends out and clearly has the ball and is nearly laying flat in the baseline...but not quite as he is trying to make a tag attempt at the runner.  R3 hurdles him and makes a great swipe in to barely beat the tag and everyone can see that he got the hand in there!  I point at the catcher and loudly announce that the runner is out for hurdling the defender.

HTHC obviously wants to visit about it and agrees that I got the rule right 100% (which I appreciated because it got the crowd off me instantly) but wants me to answer the question, "What is my runner supposed to do there Bill?"  Its a great question with an answer that just isn't very good...he can retreat or try and go around without going outside the 3-ft lane, or he can give up.  HTHC was a pro about it...wasn't upset...just had a hard time with the conundrum.

A slide eliminates all conudrums.   Not required, but if you look at all the Internet plays, a slide would make things easier to call unless the distance up the baseline was excessive.  It's tough.

Edited by Jimurray

It sucks Bill. Has this happen in a scrimmage earlier this year. Catcher got pulled up the line a bit. Runner had nowhere to go and had to dive over the top of the catcher to avoid trucking him. Great job avoiding contact, but he was out because of it.

Sometimes, there just aren't any options. It's similar to the obstruction called when a ball gets past a fielder and the runner gets obstructed, a la the Cardinals-Red Sox play a couple years back. Yea, the fielder can't just disappear - but them's the breaks.

Solution? Run faster next time and score before the ball gets there. :)

The description  "extends out and . . nearly laying flat in the baseline"  leads one to wonder if it was close enough to be considered lying on the ground or hurdling an extended arm to make it legal.

1 person likes this

With the nearly flat and I'm also assuming that the extended arm is what was hurdled?  If that is the case, I feel i would be ok with a "that's nothing" call.  I think of the NFHS football hurdling penalty and it would not be a penalty based on what I am perceiving from your description.  Alas, it does come down to judgement on that one.

Lying on the ground makes the Hurdling Legal. If its close, I am giving the benefit of the doubt to the Offensive player who has nowhere else to go. But it is a judgement call and you had to be there.

1 person likes this

Hurdling must be going around. I had one on Tuesday, 5' nothing R3, 6' F2 (wide-body). F2 standing, bent knees, so he has come down to R3 height after great throw fm F6, (who just made an incredible play at 2B, laying on the ground, tagged base with foot and fired a laser to HP). R3 is dead to rights by 15', decides he's going to try to go over F2. He was able to get his front leg high enough to get F2 in the shoulder. I got the out and immediately ejected R3. It was crazy. VT coaches wanted blood, but my partner and I got them settled down, went to the top of 7, got 6 outs and got out of there. No postgame handshakes after this one.

STRIKES AND OUTS!!!

NCB

Hurdling must be going around. I had one on Tuesday, 5' nothing R3, 6' F2 (wide-body). F2 standing, bent knees, so he has come down to R3 height after great throw fm F6, (who just made an incredible play at 2B, laying on the ground, tagged base with foot and fired a laser to HP). R3 is dead to rights by 15', decides he's going to try to go over F2. He was able to get his front leg high enough to get F2 in the shoulder. I got the out and immediately ejected R3. It was crazy. VT coaches wanted blood, but my partner and I got them settled down, went to the top of 7, got 6 outs and got out of there. No postgame handshakes after this one.

STRIKES AND OUTS!!!

NCB

​What made you decide that it was MC?

​Disagree.  Hurdling is going over.  You are welcome.

​Noumpere, I'm guessing you are just having a little fun. Yes, hurdling is going over.

I have learned a lesson to read every post about 5 times before I send it, cause I thought it made sense. The proper words should have been, players trying to hurdle each other seems to be happening a lot, all over the country, hence "Hurdling is going around"

Have a great day!

Is this an immediate dead ball, delayed dead ball, or just an out?  if its immediate, are there any base running awards?  Sorry, I am in my office wasting time and I don't have my rule books in front of me.  I have never had this situation, but since I just admitted it, it will appear in the near future.  

Edited by clasonater

​Noumpere, I'm guessing you are just having a little fun. Yes, hurdling is going over.

​Yes, it was a (weak attempt at a) joke.

bringing back an older thread with related question

Is there a difference between hurdling the fielder vs. hurdling the fielder's glove?

picture F2 with the ball, waiting for R2 to score from second, F2s body is in front of home plate and inside the lines, his left hand extends with his glove one foot over the foul line

(know it's a bit farcical, however, it demonstrates the question as best I can describe it).  The funner then leaps over the glove only and touches the plate, under NFHS, is he called out for this hurdle or does the rule not apply as R2 did not actually hurdle F2s body.

Thanks for the thoughts

bringing back an older thread with related question

Is there a difference between hurdling the fielder vs. hurdling the fielder's glove?

picture F2 with the ball, waiting for R2 to score from second, F2s body is in front of home plate and inside the lines, his left hand extends with his glove one foot over the foul line
(know it's a bit farcical, however, it demonstrates the question as best I can describe it).  The funner then leaps over the glove only and touches the plate, under NFHS, is he called out for this hurdle or does the rule not apply as R2 did not actually hurdle F2s body.

Thanks for the thoughts

Yes, jumping over the outstretched arm is an interpretation that is deemed legal.

Think Willie Mays Hayes from 'Major League' in order to determine going over a defensive player. (Yes, I'm aware he dove there, but you get the point)

1 hour ago, stkjock said:

Yes, of course. One is hurdling a player and one is hurdling a piece of equipment.

Oh, you mean hurdling his arm. Right, that's also legal.

It's a fair question: for safety-related infractions, we want to err on the side of calling the infraction. But in this case, no. IIRC, there's an interp from FED that says this is legal.

I seem to recall it's even right in the case book (but my specific knowledge of this level of detail is fading fast)

On 5/1/2015 at 7:35 AM, Rich Ives said:

The description  "extends out and . . nearly laying flat in the baseline"  leads one to wonder if it was close enough to be considered lying on the ground or hurdling an extended arm to make it legal.

The little I know of FED rules made me wonder the same thing? HTBT, I guess.