Getting Charged by coach

berns_97
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3277 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ok so I got stuck doing 8U this past weekend. Saturday went fine. Sunday i had 5 games. Firsr game went smooth, second game was not so good.

My strike zone was all over the place. I just couldnt find it. I wasnt consistint so I gave the first coach a long leash. He was chirping about the strike zone from the dugout and let it go. In between the 3rd inning he came up to catch for his pitcher and started talking to me. I told him to stop. He didnt and then told him "coach this is your warning" he stopped right there and went to the dugout. His team is now up to bat in the 4th inning. I call a pitch a little bit outside for strike 2. 1st base Coach starts ranting that its not a strike i ignore him. A pitch right down the middle for strike three, i mean the batter knew it and walked away before i rung him up, 1st base coach starts yelling "see now thats a strike blue" i take my mask of and say back "Coach your done" he charges at me full speed and gets bill to bill my partner and the other coach who happened to be the tournament director pulled him off the field and went smooth from then on. 

I had the same two teams in the Championship and the coach appoligized to me saying that he is sorry and that he knows that he shouldnt of acted that way in front of kids. I said no problem that its ok i never take it personally. That to me this is a new game and that what happened before was a different day

Edited by berns_97
  • Like 1

Also, "just a bit outside" better mean two feet.  

It was and thats why i ignored him because if he can hit it its a strike at that level.

• Like 1

I wasnt consistint so I gave the first coach a long leash.

​You just can't do that with these newbie daddy coaches. The usual remedy/sequence for B/S arguing is ignore, acknowledge, warn, then eject. For these daddy coaches, it should be a 3 (maybe a 2) step process.

• Like 1

I had the same two teams in the Championship and the coach appoligized to me saying that he is sorry and that he knows that he shouldnt of acted that way in front of kids. I said no problem that its ok i never take it personally. That to me this is a new game and that what happened before was a different day

​Too bad you couldn't get all the kids from both teams and all of the spectators for both teams back together and let him apologize to you in front of all of them.

young players equates to inexperienced coaches. ZERO leash. It's as much a learning process for them as for the kids. I warn early and eject with no remorse. NEXT time he steps on my field, he'll remember not to cross that line or I'll dump his ass again.

• Like 6

young players equates to inexperienced coaches. ZERO leash. It's as much a learning process for them as for the kids. I warn early and eject with no remorse. NEXT time he steps on my field, he'll remember not to cross that line or I'll dump his ass again.

​Sums it up right there.

• Like 1

1st base Coach starts ranting that its not a strike i ignore him. 

​Why would you warn the head coach for arguing balls and strikes and then ignore an assistant who is ranting about the same thing?

The whole time was the 1st base coach the head coach had nothing to do with it