Three pitches. Three Outs. Gratuitous Video

sdix00
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3229 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Was filming my kid during a HS game.   He is U3.  

Happened to catch a fabled Three-pitch-three-out inning.  Inning starts 90 seconds in to the video.  Not sure why the timecode link isn't working. 

(Bump up the resolution in the Youtube player or on the Youtube site to get the best picture.)

Sweet!

Your son has come a long way.

Last year I had a Varsity game where we had 8 pitches in a row for outs. It was very cool.

You guys have three umpires for high school games? Wow. 

In our area if its a district game we always have 3 umpires.

In my HS association if there is a 3 pitch half inning, the BU's buy the PU dinner.

Why is the BU buying? It's not like there were 9 strikes called. All 3 outs could have been ground balls.:lol::D

Larry Sansevere

sent from my phone

• Like 1

After reading this thread the past couple of days, I had a 5-pitch inning, and felt pretty darn fortunate even at that. (1 ball, 1 foul, on top of the three grounders).

• 3 weeks later...

I SHOULD have had one last week, but the LF dropped a foul fly for what should have been the 3rd out.

Batter proceeded to work an 11-12 pitch walk, stole 2nd, had 3rd stole as F2 threw ball in to LF allowing him to score.

Amazing how quickly an inning can turn around.

You had one job F7...

On an unrelated note, cheer up F1, that's an unearned run.

Last year I had a four pitch half-inning. There was a fly out and two ground ball outs, with one pitch called a ball mixed in there.

But this one had a strange set of circumstances where an umpire wanting a quick game might root against it happening!

The home team was batting (bottom of inning) and this was a timed game (no new inning after time expires). When the turn at bat started, there were only about four minutes left on the clock. When this quick sequence of four pitches was over, there was still over a minute left on the clock...so we had to play another inning.

This team came close to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! All they had to do was take a few pitches and the game would have been over. As it was, with the extra inning the visitors mounted a comeback and the home team just barely pulled it out.

My ying was a double, no-hitter, 6 1/2-inning game with one unearned run that we worked in 55 minutes. 

My yang was an 18-inning opener for a frosty, twin-bill that we worked on literally two different days, finishing after mid-night.   

How about one batter 3 outs no one on base .Doing adult league game where you bat everyone, in top last inning 4 and 5 hole hitters leave ,batter 3 hole strikes out ,batter 4 out left,batter5 out left ,game  over umpires left.

• 1 month later...

I've had three or four 3 pitch/3 out half innings over the past couple years. 

I'm still waiting on an immaculate half inning although a few weeks ago I had a kid strike out the first 2 batters on 6 pitches.  The 3rd batter is literally down 0-2 and then fouls the next 1 off before going down swinging on the 10th pitch (all strikes).  Talk about mixed feelings...  My partner notices and jogs up to me after the out but as we were discussing it, I don't think anyone else realized what they just missed out on.