Little League, if it can happen it will happen

Rennolds
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3327 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

1 man crew, Little League Minors division

Play:

Bottom 6. 1 out, bases loaded, 1-2 count. F1 throws WP. R1, R2, R3 advance. F2 makes an easy tag of R3 at home. Both teams think this is the third out. F2 tosses ball towards mound as both teams line up on first and third to clap hands. R2 and R3 never leave the field. Home book yells that it is only two outs. Coaches look to me as I stand there saying nothing. Both teams casually walk back to positions with no play being attempted.

My Call:

A no call. No players left the field of play. No players /coaches assisted the runners. No fielder attempted to PO a runner. Should I have let this go as a "Little League Reset"? Nobody even asked for clarification, but for my own improvement how should I have handled this play.

Rennolds

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

If nothing happened, nothing happened. The ball is simply live.

If a runner or runners abandon their effort to run the bases (your judgement), call them out, and now we do have three outs. Be generous if the runners are just reacting to the defense or if they realize it quickly.

At what point do you say something?  I wouldn't want the kids to be shaking hands only to tell them the game isn't over.  Granted you can probably get your 3rd out and call it a day if the game has been awful. 

I think were correct to just stand there and say nothing.

But as soon as I saw the teams walking back and no runners trying to advance, I would have called time just to make sure nothing "unusual" took place.

Call time and go brush the plate.