who's going and when

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3228 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The strict rules work both ways, too.  Last year, one of the umps, who was about as sharp as a marble, went to watch his sponsored team (which is what we all do as time allows).  This joker opened the gate, took a couple steps on the field, and waved to his team yelling 'good luck, guys' or something.  The field ump yelled at him, and told him to get off the field.  CDP brass was informed.  That guy was sent packin'.

I don't want any of this to sound negative.  It's really not difficult to stay within their rules and still have a lot of fun.  It's all common sense and love & respect for The Game.

Sounds like my kind of place. And since I was in the Army as a private and a cadet and before that a Boy Scout and Y Indian Guides brave I can regain my youth living in a cabin sleeping on bunk beds. Woohoo! My ex says I have Peter Pan Syndrome. Whatever that is.

Might try to do this CDP thing one summer.

• Like 4

I haven't had any trouble with anyone either.  MUCH better than what I have here at home sometimes.  And with the bunk beds, I just put a sheet on the top bunk to drape over the side of my bottom bunk and I have privacy to sleep.

I agree with Mick - it's easy to stay within the rules that they set. 

Sounds like my kind of place. And since I was in the Army as a private and a cadet and before that a Boy Scout and Y Indian Guides brave I can regain my youth living in a cabin sleeping on bunk beds. Woohoo! My ex says I have Peter Pan Syndrome. Whatever that is.

Might try to do this CDP thing one summer.

If you do and don't have a team let me know. I have several teams looking for umps.

Greetings !!!    Cannot wait to see "y'all" when you arrive!    Me?  shall be there week 1 and DO try to be there the entire summer.   Do I take "85 bunks" - NO !!!!    But, we DO all get along and we DO help each other as best as humanly possible - yes, one big "Blue Familia" !!!!     And, as my season here in Ohio begins in late April, really have not the time to count down to CDP days !!    

How do the fans, players and coaches behave? 

It depends on the team.  There are "rec" teams where everyone is out there to have fun, enjoy the scenery and just happy to be there.  There are teams where they are out to win it.  Coaches and players are all business.  Either way the players and coaches are usually professional.  As for the parents...  Usually they are very polite, friendly and eager and willing to say hi or talk to the umpires.  Usually...

I am heading up week 11 from jersey I hook up with a friend I made up there and we try to hook up when he has a team ,I do not have one but that is not an issue as it is the only way we can hook up.

As far as fans and teams I only had one issue with trash talking between the players informed the coach and while I was standing there benched his starter, and informed him if hears another sound the rest of the week he will tell his parents to take him home.

I come early Friday (still can not figure how to get the gear on Harley) I have heard of this steakhouse mentioned heard food not bad where is it located my turn to buy Friday dinner.

Week 1 for the 2nd time.  Had a lot of fun last year.  Met some cool peeps like UmpireChick1 and her husband.  Was in the field for a perfect game on Tuesday and followed that up with one behind the plate on Wednesday morning.  It was in the 90s when I left Georgia on Friday afternoon, and in the 50s when I got to New York in the wee hours of Saturday morning.  Another year of experience so I hope to be an even better umpire after another week up there.

• Like 1

Ah, sleeping on the island? Yeah, I started that way. I was snuck into the "last available bunk" some time after midnight on Friday-Saturday. All my stuff was still bagged up, and I slept in my clothes under a single blanket. I awoke the next morning to all these veteran attendees all leering at me, like sharks looking at a goldfish in a bag. I remember, vividly, Jesse Estrada asking, "What (not who) are you?"

That week shaped my umpire career. Spending time and calling games with those guys made a huge impression on me, and I not only had a group of colleagues and mentors, but true friends. @Scuzzyfeller knows the sentiment.

Touche`

Scuzz

• 3 weeks later...

Majordave,

CDP has 70' diamonds which has a completely different parent/fan following. They are, usually, more congenial. I try to warm up the parents before the game which is always interesting. My fifth year and it always proves to be a good experience. Oh, and Mick, it is 49 days.