What constitutes an illegal "grooved" bat

fredskinz
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3341 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Hi,

I have this Bill Buckner bat and it has some odd attributes. One side of the barrel is flat and there are lengthwise cracks underneath. I thought the bat was just smashedbon something, but after reading about Buckner's history of "grooving" I figured I'd ask the experts. I attached pics.

Thanks!

Fred

post-3631-0-27046800-1424731434_thumb.jp

post-3631-0-82360800-1424731462_thumb.jp

14 answers to this question

Hi,

I have this Bill Buckner bat and it has some odd attributes. One side of the barrel is flat and there are lengthwise cracks underneath. I thought the bat was just smashedbon something, but after reading about Buckner's history of "grooving" I figured I'd ask the experts. I attached pics.

Thanks!

Fred

That's a broken bat. There's a chip missing and you can see the cracks in the bat in the second image.

As for the rule, the bat has to be smooth and round.

• Like 1

That's a cool bat. Looks very old and wondering if it's the real deal.  Doesn't say, "Powerized" under the "Louisville," so it's not like any commercial Slugger I ever used.  Worth hanging on the wall or against a desk. I wouldn't even hit wiffle balls with it, though, due to the cracks.