Experimental DH rule in MN

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2551 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Are any other states using or experimenting with this FED modification?  I had to re-type this from the letter I received in yesterday's mail.  Any typos are mine.

Minnesota Baseball Rule Experiment

Rule 3-1-4
Modify Art 4: The pitcher may be listed as the starting Pitcher/Designated Hitter on the lineup card presented to the umpire-in-chief and official scorer prior to the start of the game. (This will appear as a nine player lineup for the game but the tenth player is listed due to the dual position listing of the starting pitcher.) A hitter may (not mandatory) be designated for any one starting player and all subsequent substitutes for that player in the game. A starting defensive player cannot be listed as the DH in the starting lineup except for the pitcher.

The pitcher can concurrently play pitcher and DH. A DH for a player shall be selected prior to the start of the game, and his name shall be included on the lineup cards presented to the UIC and to the official scorer. Failure to declare a DH prior to the game precludes the use of a DH in that game. If during the course of the game the player is replaced as the pitcher; he can remain in the game in the role of the DH.

If during the course of the game the player is replaced as the DH, he can remain in the game as the pitcher. The player (pitcher) shall be locked into his original slot on the lineup card as Pitcher/DH or both and may reenter the game in either position as any other starter can as long as he has not been removed from both positions. 

If a pinch hitter or pinch runner for the DH is used, that player becomes the new DH. The player who was the DH may re-enter as the DH under the reentry rule. A DH and the player for who he is batting are locked into the batting order. No multiple substitutions may be made that will alter the batting rotation. The role of the DH is terminated for the remainder of the game when:

a. the defensive player, or any previous defensive player for whom the DH, batted, subsequently bats, pinch hits or pinch runs for the DH; or

b. the DH or any previous DH assumes a defensive position (except the starting pitcher); or

c. if the player is replaced in both roles, pitcher and DH.

Added Rationale:

At the high school level, in many programs, the best pitcher is also one of the best athletes.  This change will protect the starting pitcher from over use of his throwing arm by having to stay in the game; and will keep the team from having to lose their best player/hitter.  The best player/athlete can now continue to hit once he has been replaced on the mound.

He will hit for the new pitcher and any other pitcher that would come into the game.  This will continue until the DH is put into the game as a position player.  The safety part of this rule is the pitcher does not leave the game and does not need to be put into the field to say in the game.  

With the rule that is in place right now, the coach would lose not only the pitcher a hitter which hinders the chance for success in this contest.  By allowing the pitcher to be listed at Pitcher/DH at the beginning of the game we have protected the player from overuse and we have kept the playing contest level for both teams.

This rule addendum is for keeping pitcher's arm safe and teams competitive.  The DH will still be able to be used as it is at this time, as this merely gives another option for the use of the DH.  

Speaking as a former coach, some of them are dense and very set in their ways.  Thus any new rule or tactic is not very well received by the traditional breed.   Once they see the light (Read: get beat by someone using the new rule or tactic) then they start to adopt and use it.

My .02.  YMMV.

Speaking as a former coach, some of them are dense and very set in their ways.  Thus any new rule or tactic is not very well received by the traditional breed.   Once they see the light (Read: get beat by someone using the new rule or tactic) then they start to adopt and use it.

My .02.  YMMV.

Either that or they simply don't understand it.  OR their F1 is also their starting shortstop and he's likely the best defensive player on the field too...

This is an N.A.I.A. Rule. (Schools with less than 5,000 students) it must be stated at the plate conference that you are using this option. I believe it is also a N.C.A.A. rule as well and it is a given. No need to state you are using the option at the plate conference.

• Like 1

I don't understand from their "reasonings" why the coach just wouldn't move pitcher off the mound and sub for someone else like I have seen 1000 times.

I don't want to deal with anything close to the NCAA rule..

I don't understand from their "reasonings" why the coach just wouldn't move pitcher off the mound and sub for someone else like I have seen 1000 times.

I don't want to deal with anything close to the NCAA rule..

I just don't see this being used very often.  

There's likely a defensive player in your lineup that you'd use the DH on in most cases as opposed to going without one until you pull your starter.

I've talked to a few coaches around here and right now, they're telling me that they don't plan to use it.  We shall see.

They are saying that it's a "safety" thing. Pitcher is often times the best hitter. This way he doesn't have to play a position after pitching. This MN rule is relatively simple in dealing with the P/DH. It is not the same as NCAA.

They are saying that it's a "safety" thing. Pitcher is often times the best hitter. This way he doesn't have to play a position after pitching. This MN rule is relatively simple in dealing with the P/DH. It is not the same as NCAA.

They're selling it as a safety rule, I agree...unless of course, that pitcher (if he's as good a hitter as "they" say he is), he's probably your best defensive player too!  

I spoke to one of the Regional Umpire Coordinators for the Minnesota State High School League on Monday about this.  He told me this rule was request and written by the MN State Baseball Coaches Association.  If the coaches requested it, I think we may see it used more often than some people think.

I spoke to one of the Regional Umpire Coordinators for the Minnesota State High School League on Monday about this.  He told me this rule was request and written by the MN State Baseball Coaches Association.  If the coaches requested it, I think we may see it used more often than some people think.

I heard the same thing...and my understanding is that it was one coach in particular and it was from a coach who also had college coaching experience.  I guess we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

OK, so let me know if my thoughts on this are accurate.  If the SP is listed at pos. 1/DH and is replaced as the pitcher, the new pitcher (coming from the bench) would be added as pos. 1 in the same spot in the batting order.  At that point, it reverts back to regular FED DH rules.  But, if the SP is replaced by another player in the lineup, and the SP takes a position in the field, the DH role is terminated and the lineups would be played straight up.  Does this make any sense, or am I way off?  

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so let me know if my thoughts on this are accurate.  If the SP is listed at pos. 1/DH and is replaced as the pitcher, the new pitcher (coming from the bench) would be added as pos. 1 in the same spot in the batting order.  At that point, it reverts back to regular FED DH rules.  But, if the SP is replaced by another player in the lineup, and the SP takes a position in the field, the DH role is terminated and the lineups would be played straight up.  Does this make any sense, or am I way off?  

I live in NE Iowa 15 miles from the MN border, so I will be working there this spring for some HS games.  Only makes sense since   As far as the rule, it is still being listed as an experimental rule, despite being written 2 years ago.  Just want to make sure I have a grasp in it.