Super Bowl ending

Richvee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3317 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

All I wanted was a good game. It was as good as they get.

Yeah. Great game. Just hated to see it end on such a bonehead call. Not sure what Carroll was thinking but his "reasoning" post game made no sense at all. 

I think I just saw THE WORST play call in the history of organized sports. Hell, you only have the best running back in  the game. WTF??  :smachhead:  :shrug:  :shakehead:  :question1:

Should have ran it all 4 downs in that series.

I think I just saw THE WORST play call in the history of organized sports. Hell, you only have the best running back in  the game. WTF??  :smachhead:  :shrug:  :shakehead:  :question1:

Should have ran it all 4 downs in that series.

They couldn't have done that, the 2nd down play was snapped with 22 secs or so and only 1 TO....if they ran Lynch again - with NE having their heavy package and only 3 DBs in and selling out to stop the run - and didn't make it, you've got to call a TO, the final TO. Now it's 3rd down, no TO's, and about 17 secs or less left. Do you run Lynch a third time? If you do and he doesn't make it, the game is over.

I think the proper call was a read option on 2nd down, faking Lynch into the middle where NE had all their guys and having Wilson break out on the edge with a TE in the flat, giving him a run/pass option. Trust him to do what he did at the end of the 2nd qtr. If he can't make it, he throws it into the dirt legally since he's outside the pocket and preserves the TO. Now it's 3rd down and NE can't just leave in their heavy run-only pack. You can still run Lynch and call a TO if necessary for a 4th down play.

@scrounge

Thanks Coach.  I'd email that to Pete Carroll and the Seahawks organization for future reference.  They might appreciate it.

Hahahaha!.  Sorry, had to jump on that extremely detailed and exquisitely awesome example of Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

@scrounge

Thanks Coach.  I'd email that to Pete Carroll and the Seahawks organization for future reference.  They might appreciate it.

Hahahaha!.  Sorry, had to jump on that extremely detailed and exquisitely awesome and example of Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

Ok, not sure that warranted a snarky attack like that, but was trying to explain why Lynch couldn't have been run 4 times. And yea, can't prove it, but calling for a read option was a 1st guess, made before the play. I'm actually defending the decision to pass on 2nd down, just not THAT pass. The whole point of passing was catching NE in a run pkg with everyone in the middle. Why on earth would you then pass right into all that traffic?

I worried about the read option there as well. However, how much film study would you have to do to get your 8th DB to recognize the play there and drive on the ball that quickly? The level of preparation it took to make that play is what amazes me.

• Like 1

Whilst everyone is burying Pete Carroll, everyone is aware that Wilson actually, yo know, threw the pass. Yes?

Wilson may be an athlete but working for the Seahawks is his job and he has to listen to his boss. Yes?

This may make perfect sense to you, for a variety of reasons that I could get into, but won't, but yes, if the coach told him to throw an interception. Yes.

@scrounge

Just having some fun with you mate. You've obviously got a lot invested in that game. Seahawks blowing that win cost you a few bucks? A sleepless and fitful evening? A few tears maybe? It's just an effin game. Played by full grown men. Sorry if my perspective interferes with yours.

If Wilson thought the play was wrong he could have called an audible and/or run the ball himself. I'm sure he has carte blanche permission to run at will. If he would have scored nobody would have said a thing.