Leather Luster

MPLSUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 427 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Use a lint free cloth to dust off after steel wool is used. 3 coats. Make sure at least 12 hours AND completely dry between coats. You will LOVE the

results.

And, I applied LL over the rubber sole including the white section and toe rubber. Looked great.

• Like 1

Use a lint free cloth to dust off after steel wool is used. 3 coats. Make sure at least 12 hours AND completely dry between coats. You will LOVE the

results.

And, I applied LL over the rubber sole including the white section and toe rubber. Looked great.

If you live in the desert it dries a lot faster

Personally I would never use the stuff.

I used it a long time ago on a pair of boots for inspections when I was a young Marine.

Didn't take long before it caused the leather to crack and requiring me to buy a new pair of boots.

Good Luck with it.

Even before patient leather I have always been old school.

Polish and a brush are leathers best friends.

I am not going to ever spit shine anything ever again....lol

Perhaps they changed the formula since Major Dave says he has used it and worked for him.

• Like 1

Key is shoes are well broken in. Major advantage of LL is time savings to look good before going on field to get covered in dust again. Damp cloth wipes them clean and ready to look spit shine sharp in seconds.

@semper_fi_72

Unfortunately, none of the current brands and models of umpire shoes are actually leather anymore. And, the stitching and stripes and logos make spit shining or even regular polishing a major pain in the ass to get decent looking results. At least not what I expect for the effort.

Rolo is right. I've used both too. LL is better for shoes. That's what it is made to do. Lasts longer. Better value. Three coats plus some left over for touch ups as needed from one can of LL. You couldn't cover one shoe one coat with a jar of shape up.

Shape up is/was great for small jobs like belt buckles, belt tips, duty belts, insignia touch ups. Small patches on shoes like toe nicks or as a heel/edge dressing. Not economical to try to cover an entire pair of shoes with it.

$7.15 for 1.6 oz jar of shape up.

$7.99 for 4 oz can of LL.

My .02.....

• Like 1

Rolo is right. I've used both too. LL is better for shoes. That's what it is made to do. Lasts longer. Better value. Three coats plus some left over for touch ups as needed from one can of LL. You couldn't cover one shoe one coat with a jar of shape up.

Shape up is/was great for small jobs like belt buckles, belt tips, duty belts, insignia touch ups. Small patches on shoes like toe nicks or as a heel/edge dressing. Not economical to try to cover an entire pair of shoes with it.

$7.15 for 1.6 oz jar of shape up.

$7.99 for 4 oz can of LL.

My .02.....

I get 4 pairs of shoes out of a jar of shape up (well, 2 pairs, twice each).

My time is worth more than the extra effort needed to apply the LL.

But, that's why they have both products -- one is right for some people, the other is right for others.  No matter what (insert political figure here) says about it <--- added because it seems to be a requirement for threads today. ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2016 at 8:24 AM, udbrky said:

How does it compare to Meguiar's? Are they similar or do different things?

My eyes screeched to a halt when you mentioned "Meguiar's", @udbrky. Meguiar's, as you know, is an automobile care company, one of the oldest in the industry. They produce cleaners, polishers and protectors for leather, vinyl, plastic, wood, fabric, rubber... just about anything a car would have on it. If you get their material-specific cleaner – leather for leathers, vinyl for pleathers and vinyls (which some shoes are *cough cough* New Balance 460's *cough cough*) – you'll likely get good results. Unfortunately, Meguiar's gets upstaged (or at least out-advertised) by the Burger King of Car Care, Armor All. Let me make this clear – if you value your car and your gear, DO NOT LET ARMOR-ALL TOUCH IT . Armor All puts chemical catalysts in their products that, with UV exposure, dry out and cause brittleness in those materials (whatever they are, it's the whole gambit). Oh sure, they look good, with that "wet shine" for about 30 minutes (not exact... could be 25, could be 60), but then, once the UV light hits it, it fades and looks just as bad or worse than before. It's like going out in the sun with a spray-tan, with absolutely no sun protection factor (SPF) to speak of. Oh, you may look good, but you're doing some real damage in the long run.

Yes, you may have to pay more for Meguiar's, and you may have to buy multiple products to properly clean, condition and protect your item (thus, increasing the cost), but that extra work and cost is worth it.

Leather Luster, by contrast, is devoted solely (ha! what a pun!) to footwear: http://www.leatherluster.com/

20 minutes ago, JDavis225 said:

All done with three coats. I'll see how well they clean up between games starting tomorrow to decide whether I want to use them for the upcoming season or buy some New Balances. 

@JDavis225, I would say squeeze every bit of life out those Reeboks as you can. Do NOT feel compelled to get New Balance 460's – they are "dead shoes walking". The new models will be upon us in 2017, and I can speak from experience, the 460's, while good, are heavier than the Reeboks, clunkier than the Reeboks, and even in their waning days in the market, more expensive than the Reeboks. If it wasn't for the fact that Reebok uses a last that wrecks my spine, I would have been using Reeboks on those merits alone. I have no brand-love for Reebok because of that last (that and they are owned by Adidas, which I despise). Don't get me wrong, New Balance is good, but the 460's need to be retired, pronto. They are Brinks Armored Trucks in a market of ever-sleeker utility vans.

I would say, if you want to protect all the work you did with the Leather Luster, apply a clear wax (like a Nikwax -product) or spray something as simple as Static Guard on so as to make the wiping off of dust easier, provided you didn't have a soggy, muddy game.

Thanks for that comparison. I got Meguiars when I got my car seat dirty last year. Did some research and they came in regarded highly. I'll check out the LL. 

I should've waited maybe before getting my 460s replaced last week. Plate holding clasp (or whatever it is underneath it) was coming loose after wearing them for 5 months. @JimKirk has amazing customer service and they replaced them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...