How about this one!

SJA
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3467 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I don't think I have ever checked equipment in a LL game. I know I never have in a Pony game. I used to in High School. But LL? Can't say I have. But apparently I was wrong? :o

I'm sure its not the first time!  :wave:

JM, I refer to Rule 3.01(a):

3.00 - GAME PRELIMINARIES

3.01 - Before the game begins the umpires shall-

(a) require strict observance of all rules governing team personnel,

implements of play and equipment of players;

(e.g. damaged equipment shall be removed.)

I'm CMA no matter what  :-)

Maybe I am missing it, but I don't see the work 'inspect' equipment in this rule citation.  But, you can't be too careful. 

Under the LL RIM Instructors Comments, regarding 1.10 which, by way of reasoning would also incur 3.01, it states:

“Pregame inspection of the equipment by the umpires needs to be done before each and every game to make sure that all the equipment within the dugout area is safe and meets all the Little League specifications.â€

“Umpires MUST do these inspections and the umpires should go as a team to inspect the equipment so that they are in total agreement that all the equipment meets the specifications and is safe to use in the game.â€

. . . like I said I'm covering my a$$ either way . . . :-)

Nope.

I am never doing equipment checks.

"Coaches are all your players legally and properly equipped?"

Their responsibility at that point. If you think a specific bat is illegal, I'll check it. If I see a cracked helmet, I'll change it.

Nope.

Their responsibility at that point. If you think a specific bat is illegal, I'll check it. If I see a cracked helmet, I'll change it.

Agreed for FED but this thead is mostly talking about LL (actual LL not just random youth ball). When working FED I don't check but I still help out with district/state LL tourneys as they come around and the iron fists from WP say pre-game check all equipement. If I felt it were unreasonable to check I simply wouldn't volunteer. It's really not that big of a deal. If you're not into it then just don't do thier games. 1

For what it is worth...American Legion requires umpires to check each team's equipment (bats and helmets) before each game of a national tournament (regionals and world series).  With that said, I hate doing it.  I'd rather just ask the coaches, "all players legally and properly equipped and are all bats and helmets legal?" at the plate meeting.

Fair enough, you're not the OOO.

Every umpire has their own limits for checking gear. I stopped once the approved carbon bat list went beyond a dozen. I do check for cracks and dents, but have stopped looking at every helmet in the dugout. I'm sure neither of us are checking for cups on catchers, and I pray no one is actually checking for athletic supporters on all the male players. So, we have different limits. Nobody, hopefully, is doing a complete gear inspection.

But I'm still don't understand why you're sticking around such a dysfunctional league, where it seems you're not welcome. Me, I'd just take my gear in any direction, and be welcome with open arms. Or, just go down the street for $60 per game. Lots of choices out there, so there's really to excuse to stay where you're not enjoying yourself.

"An umpire's sole purpose in life is to crush dreams........."

That's a really telling statement. Perhaps officiating LL games is not your calling, if that's your attitude when you come to the park full of little kids.

No I never check for "personal equipment". In that case, I ask the Managers / Coaches if their players are properly equipped.

"An umpire's sole purpose in life is to crush dreams" was purely a joke. I didn't think anyone with common sense would read that otherwise.

SJA

Nope.

Most LL coaches won't have a clue what that means. That's why LL wants the umpires to check equipment. Reality. You need to deal with it.

Nope.

Most LL coaches won't have a clue what that means. That's why LL wants the umpires to check equipment. Reality. You need to deal with it.

LOL.

I have worked actual LL get a clue.

Nope.

LOL.

Then you know the wide spectrum of LL coaches and you know why LL decided it was important to have the umpires check . . . the equipment rules are safety rules and LL wants someone who knows what they're doing to check for safety issues . . . I don't know that my son had a single LL coach who would have known what to look for to decide if equipment was proper. 

I removed a helmet from play a couple of years ago in a district tournament because the padding had all worn away. 

BaseJester:  "Coach, we're going to have to throw this out.  See here?  There's no padding."

Coach:  "Well, I'm sure it had padding on it when it was new."

BaseJester:  ". . ."

Nope.

LOL.

I've been in LL since 1974. I do have a clue.

Our league and district require that we inspect all bats, helmets and catchers gear prior to each game. We are not just looking for illegal bats but dents, cracks, worn out helmets/padding, cracked helmets and proper catchers gear. We interpret the inspection requirement as an absolute and being in the 'sue me state' just adds to the reasoning to insure we check all the gear every outing. As stated many of the coaches are uninformed as to what constitutes proper equipment and condition.

• Like 1