Another SAFE all day long ....

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3495 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

That is extremely close. Not even 100% sure I see an out in slow motion lol. The commentators bring up a good point I have heard all year long and do not see guys doing. MLB level infielders are too used to phantom tags / base touches; they need to go back to basics and apply and hold tags with replay. I have seen a dozen if one replays where the runner would be out if a snap tag was not applied regardless of the initial contact.

I can definitely comprehend that U2's vantage point says "Safe". Only that side camera angle (from somewhere on the 3BS) reveals the ball/glove touch the helmet before the fingers make contact with the bag. It really is "split second".

That is extremely close. Not even 100% sure I see an out in slow motion lol. The commentators bring up a good point I have heard all year long and do not see guys doing. MLB level infielders are too used to phantom tags / base touches; they need to go back to basics and apply and hold tags with replay. I have seen a dozen if one replays where the runner would be out if a snap tag was not applied regardless of the initial contact.

So you want professional players to look like 9-10 year olds holding a tag on a runner? Wow!

Yes and no in truth. I never thought we would see judgement calls review able so times are changing. As a fan I have seen my team lose a few replays late in a tight game where if a tag was held the runner would have been out and we would be sitting in a wild card spot instead of 3 games out. At the end of the season would a MLB player trade looking like a 10 year old for a playoff spot instead of sitting home. Sometimes a 162 game season comes down to small things.

So you want professional players to look like 9-10 year olds holding a tag on a runner? Wow!

I think the announcers did now that replay is in effect. I really don't see how this play is an example of it though. It is an example of announcers though.

Yes and no in truth. I never thought we would see judgement calls review able so times are changing. As a fan I have seen my team lose a few replays late in a tight game where if a tag was held the runner would have been out and we would be sitting in a wild card spot instead of 3 games out. At the end of the season would a MLB player trade looking like a 10 year old for a playoff spot instead of sitting home. Sometimes a 162 game season comes down to small things.

So..instant replay has cost "your" team not just one game, but multiple games, because, undoubtedly, had replay not been there to overturn these calls, "your" team wins every one of those games and makes the  post season???   :rollinglaugh:   :shakehead:

• Like 1

So..instant replay has cost "your" team not just one game, but multiple games, because, undoubtedly, had replay not been there to overturn these calls, "your" team wins every one of those games and makes the  post season???   :rollinglaugh:   :shakehead:

And, the replay never "helped" your team in the same situations, or "hurt" whatever team is 3 games ahead of you?

Possible, of course, but three games is a lot of difference for replay to cause.