Register or Sign In to remove these ads
TStokes97

Question about a chest protector

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
TStokes97    46

Tucker:

A lot of guys on here are giving you some crap about your CP selection and telling you to buy top of the line leg guards, etc.

Here's the deal...buy what you can afford. The Unequals are top of the line. You're working 12U baseball. You could spend 1/2 of what the Unequals cost and be fine for the level you are calling.

As you start to move up, reinvest in the game. Buy equipment to match the level you call. That's why Ump-Attire is so good. You can search for equipment by level.

There's no need for top of the line equipment to work at the youth level. Simply put, you're not making enough per game to justify the purchase. So unless you are independently wealthy, have a great paying "real job" with little in the way of expenses, there's no need, at this point in your career, to drop a ton of money on top of the line equipment.

No kidding. The Champion chest protector is more than adequate at the youth level. Hell I would wear it in a college game if I didn't like the Douglas stuff so much.

Next we'll have people telling him he needs a Nike mask and Team Wendy-retrofitted Wilson Gold.

Not sure why this is giving him crap. What I would recommend is that if you are in it for the long hall then get good equipment. Take care of it and it lasts a long time. Then you don't have to constantly upgrade your equipment.

As far as shin guards, I guess cheap is ok at that level until you get wild thing on the mound who can bring it and the catcher who doesn't understand what bring it means. My first year I had a catcher who wasn't even trying to block anything. I asked why and he said, "There's nobody on base." WTF! Had a nice chat with the coach at that point of the game. You just never know. Keep yourself protected. I'm not selling any equipment here. Just giving an opinion.

And if you want to be really cool, get the Nike mask and Team Wendy retrofitted Wilson Gold. I don't think its giving me crap, its just different opinions about the best way to handle buying gear, personally I'll buy top level stuff and keep care of it, rather than buying mid grade stuff for each level I advance to

• Like 2

boyinr    210

I will put a plug in for the Honigs K2010. They are bullet proof. They are as good as the platinums IMO. They come in lengths from 15"-19". They are <$60. The padding removable and washable. The buckles are plastic and will not rust. They are not low profile and they are not feather weights. They also can be warm as compared to some that are better ventilated.

blue23ll    839

When I first started out, I got the Honig's "starter kit" at the time. It was just fine for the level of ball I worked. The mask was heavy, and the plate shoes I bought were like wearing blocks of cement on my feet. As my skills improved and I moved up, I upgraded my equipment. I invested my money in attending clinics and getting training, which to me at the time was a better investment.

umpstu    689

What you really need is a Nike mask and Team Wendy-retrofitted Wilson Gold.

I like the joke, although i wear an hsm

Since you wear an HSM you'll need to start smoking to look cool. And more mature.

• Like 1

MidAmUmp    1,726

When I first started out, I got the Honig's "starter kit" at the time. It was just fine for the level of ball I worked. The mask was heavy, and the plate shoes I bought were like wearing blocks of cement on my feet. As my skills improved and I moved up, I upgraded my equipment. I invested my money in attending clinics and getting training, which to me at the time was a better investment.

This is why you don't recommend $100+ leg guards to a 12U umpire. 

Buy equipment to fit your level, based on the money you make per game.  If you're only making $30 a game, there's no need to be purchasing $500+ in uniforms and equipment.  A $40 mask is going to protect you just as well as a Nike mask.  A $50 chest protector is going to protect you just as well (at that level) as a Riddell Power.  A cheap pair of leg guards is going to protect you just as well as the Unequals.

I make $250, 300, and more per game depending on the location.  I can afford top of the line stuff.  When you're starting off, save where you can and invest in your future.  Clinics, Educational materials, etc. are going to help you much more than "looking cool" with top of the line equipment.

TStokes97    46

I like the joke, although i wear an hsm

Since you wear an HSM you'll need to start smoking to look cool. And more mature. I don't appreciate that, using an hsm is a choice I made, It provides me better protection, pretty much everyone around here use HSM's, theres nothing imature about safety

• Like 1

gnhbua93    989

Buy equipment to fit your level, based on the money you make per game.  If you're only making $30 a game, there's no need to be purchasing $500+ in uniforms and equipment.  A $40 mask is going to protect you just as well as a Nike mask.  A $50 chest protector is going to protect you just as well (at that level) as a Riddell Power.  A cheap pair of leg guards is going to protect you just as well as the Unequals.

I make $250, 300, and more per game depending on the location.  I can afford top of the line stuff.  When you're starting off, save where you can and invest in your future.  Clinics, Educational materials, etc. are going to help you much more than "looking cool" with top of the line equipment.

Show off.  You are saying that so he attend Mid American Umpire Clinic :wave:

• Like 1

Majordave    1,571

It would be $$ well spent to attend Jason's camp/clinic.

• Like 2

JaxRolo    3,190

If money is not an object buy the best!

umpstu    689

I like the joke, although i wear an hsm Since you wear an HSM you'll need to start smoking to look cool. And more mature. I don't appreciate that, using an hsm is a choice I made, It provides me better protection, pretty much everyone around here use HSM's, theres nothing imature about safety

Nobody's making fun of you for wearing an HSM

TStokes97    46

Buy equipment to fit your level, based on the money you make per game. If you're only making $30 a game, there's no need to be purchasing $500+ in uniforms and equipment. A $40 mask is going to protect you just as well as a Nike mask. A $50 chest protector is going to protect you just as well (at that level) as a Riddell Power. A cheap pair of leg guards is going to protect you just as well as the Unequals.

I make $250, 300, and more per game depending on the location. I can afford top of the line stuff. When you're starting off, save where you can and invest in your future. Clinics, Educational materials, etc. are going to help you much more than "looking cool" with top of the line equipment. Brief note my shin guards were over $100 although they were orginally for my time as an aspiring catcher, think they were rawlings brand love them but their dying so looking into options