How do you handle?

umpirecordova
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3618 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This one is a two parter. It's not an ejection story but a question on how to handle coaches in a league and level where I have a hard time finding that line in the sand. The other part is a question how to handle a "know-it-all" coach and his back handed comments/complaints. (Sorry in advance this will be long winded but it's a problem that has been growing and growing)

1) there are two Cal Ripken leagues where I live and my association covers games for both of them. One league is easy to work. The coaches are easy to work with and we don't have any problems. The other league has had some success in national Cal Ripken tournaments over the years and now I believe that is going to their heads. This year working at their major level (11-12 year olds) I have had a hard time finding my correct length of leash. When I work the plate these coaches cry on every pitch. It feels if little Johnny doesn't swing it's not a strike. I also have to deal with the umpires in the stands aka fans who will tell coaches that strikes are feet off the plate or painting black if they are pitching. I've had coaches who don't get a pitch and jump of their bucket and throw their hands in the air exclaiming "where did that miss" like a child not getting his way. Close plays on bases always have a coach yelling with "you/he were totally safe/out." Followed by a coach showing he tagged him up here. When they come and to talk to you they always want to show their acting skills and when I tell them to talk to me and don't show me, it's met with you don't need to get an attitude with me. They want help on every play. I know much of this is par for the course with most coaches and leagues but the problem I'm having is that it is every game and when I try to warn and stop it it's always you got a chip on your shoulder or you don't like me and you out to get us kind of thing. This league also issued cards and numbers to every umpire that we show at the beginning of the games to the scorebooks who write them down. If you do ever eject or you have a call they don't like they go to the name and number and write a complaint and always ask that you not do any more of their games and it's work so far on two umpires. The problem I'm having is how to I handle this like a professional umpire, having been to pro school, but also allow for a little of longer leash knowing they are mostly dad coaches who don't understand how to manage correctly? There are also things we can do as an association to have a more uniform policy in handling coaches because other guys let them get a away with so much. It's trying to find balance. What are your suggestions?

2) my next problem is with one coach who coaches in the league I'm having problems with. He thinks he is a baseball guru and the parents love him. Granted he is a good coach at teaching fundamentals and making kids better. But when he is coaching he creates this umpires vs us feeling. When his kids are pitching and he throws a close pitch he doesn't get he says "nice strike." Close plays on the bases "you were in there." When you tell him to stop he tells you he is talking to his players. When a ruling goes against him "what else do you expect." It feels that anything that goes against him is our fault. He accused me of making his pitcher cry because he didn't get a couple of close pitches when he was having a hard time finding the zone. What I can't stand the most is most of his comments that should get him ejected he says under his breath or away from you so he gets to say them but doesn't suffer the consequences. It's starting rubbing off to his parents and even worse his players. I don't want to come off as I'm out to get him but it's getting hard to continue to feel disrespected every game I have of his.

Any question or suggestion welcomed.

First inappropriate comment: "Coach, we're not having any of that today. Knock it off."

Second comment, eject.

You seem to be working in a league that doesn't support its umpires. You can't win the war by yourself. You might consider finding another league to work.

• Like 2

Eject early.  Eject often.

Repeat as needed.

Let them complain or call their phone numbers.  Here's the thing - either a) they learn to shut the hell up, so they can actually see the end of a game, or b) you're blackballed, and can go work for a league/organization that doesn't suck supports its umpires.

And don't try to be nice by talking about 'developing balance.'  It's like raising more kids - give a hard-line boundary, and when they cross it, drop the consequences on them.  You want to warn?  Fine - once.  Then launch.  With the section labeled 1) in your post, think of yourself as a modern-day trebuchet.  And if you get the "you're out to get us" crap, that's an easy EJ report:  "Coach questioned my integrity and accused me of cheating."  Report written, with plenty of time for wings and beer afterwards.

Growing up an Orioles fan, I love Cal, but I'm beginning to think I'd rather work LL games than do anything involving Ripken baseball.  It (Ripken) may have an organizational structure, unlike the traveling carnival of AAU, but between these stories, and the Tale of Mitch Williams, it sounds like they're more interested in developing terrible adult humans than giving kids a sports outlet.

• Like 2

I personally dont give a rip if little johnny cries. THERES NO CRYING IN BASEBALL. And my smart arse would say that when accused of making a "pitcher" cry. I'd be attempting to lighten the 'mood' with my own brand of humor.

First sign of trouble, shut it down. Quick and hard. A strong "THAT'S ENOUGH" should (SHOULD) suffice. Next backhanded stab.....BOOM. He gone. To the parking lot, not the stands. And if the league doesn't like it, they can get volunteers.

I will not stand idly by while I'm berated and belittled.

First, take control of the game by enforcing EVERY rule. Make the rats stay in their cage. ZERO defensive coaches in LBT. ZERO buckets. Period. And then, anytime he comes out to talk about pitches, he gets ONE warning. Singular. "Sam, you can't argue balls and strikes."

I also recommend that you utilize the restrict option, if you have one. This, to me, is almost more punitive than ejecting. Put the spoiled (b) rat in timeout. Anything further, he gets the boot. And YOU look like you did all you could to "keep him in the game." Let him sit and pout awhile. Do him some good.

Furthermore, should you need to restrict/ej, WRITE A REPORT. Even if you dont send it to anyone. You have a record of ACTUAL events.Do it while iit's fresh in your mind. And be thorough.

What I see as the main problem is that the league is giving the rats Carte Blanche to act any kinda way. And until SOMEONE takes charge, noone is in charge. Lead from the front.

In everything you say and do, be calm, courteous, fair and firm. Compel their respect. And if they don't respond positively, then they should positively be disciplined.

Good luck

• Like 1

I concur with the eject must people are saying and like Jockos post. I'll add a few things I'd do in a situation like this.

Normally a simple "That's enough" or "We're not arguing balls and strikes today" should suffice. However, the "proper" way to do it and a method I would employ here is "Coach, this is your warning, we are not arguing balls and strikes here." Specifically add the "this is your warning" language so there is no way they can get around the fact that you warned.

In your report - FACTS ONLY. This goes for anyone reading this, I've read multiple reports people have asked me to proof or things that have been posted, etc. There is absolutely zero room for opinions in any report but even more so here, where there are lots of problems.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm sorry - I wasn't clear.  I meant "eject" as in "Get the eff out of that league, ASAP"

I certainly got it!..........My Father was a 30 year USAF pilot.....if you were in his aircraft and heard the 3rd eject call, you had just become the aircraft commander.......LOL.....

• Like 1

Umpirecordova......

Game management is the hardest skill to teach, and how most of us learned it was by going through the same stuff you are.......and eventually having had enough of.....you went to pro school, so your mechanics and your rules knowledge should be great.....  if you cant live without this league, then you are going to have to find a method to rein this group in.....often enough, it is the ejection..........I have very few ejections any more, but it is the result of the fact that I WILL EJECT if you cross my line..... once that was common knowledge, my ejections decreased tenfold......and coach/player behavior at my games was better.....

If the league wont support you, then you need to find another league...remember there is no shortage of games for good umpires!!......

# 2 guy you will run into from time to time your whole umpiring career...............be professional, don't engage him,. don't feed the troll, don't give him the satisfaction of getting under your skin, (which he clearly has!).....give him a good strong dose of pro school training, no extra consideration, run him when he deserves it, keep your interactions only baseball.....don't try and win him over....don't be friends.......be cordial.....not friendly.....

Treat this coach like the neighborhood dog who bit kids when you were young...........don't let him lull you into thinking you are not in his sights......

weak association mates cause all of us problems.....by letting things go, they are just passing it down to you..........get your assoc to have a frank discussion about these leagues......and then have your officers confront the league......if that doesn't work, 

Start updating your pro school resume and find a new assoc and new leagues.... I'm thinking you wont have any issues bettering the situation for yourself........

Edited by Stan W.
clarity

One other thought:  if your association feels like you do, someone should have an organization-to-organization talk with the league.  tell the league as an association that coach behavior has been unacceptable, that umpires have tried to be lenient on learning coaches but it is obviously not working as the behavior has been getting worse, and that that umpires have been instructed by the association to stop being lenient and toss coaches.  And tell the league that no coach gets to black ball an umpire.  Then execute. 

• Like 1

I agree with just about every comment on here.  One thing though - talk to every ump in the league, make sure you all do the same thing or provide the same umps to his games all the time.  Issue warnings and toss him.  Let me guess, his kids the best player in the state/world and will play for the Yankees.  I woudl tell him he's "That Guy". 

Good topic and lots of sage advice.  I just want to add that it is axiomatic that more leash is never the answer.  Quite the opposite, actually.

I don't remember the names of the pitcher and umpire involved, but I remember this war story vividly from my MiLB days.  On the first pitch of a game in Baltimore, Earl Weaver started in on the umpire complaining about a ball call.  It happened on several more pitches.  The umpire, who was in his first few years in the American League, admitted he was getting flustered by Earl.  The pitcher saw this and called the umpire to the mound.  The umpire thought the pitcher wanted a new ball, but when he got to the mound the Baltimore pitcher said, "if you toss him now, you and I can both have a nice pleasant Sunday afternoon."  Two pitches later, the umpire took the pitcher's advice and dumped Earl. You know what?  The rest of the game was a nice pleasant Sunday afternoon.

Moral of the story:  Dump 'em early and you won't have to listen to them all game long.  Furthermore, even though they might not realize it because they are only 11 or 12 years old...you'll be doing the players a favor, too, just as the AL umpire did that pitcher a favor.

• Like 3