+pos chest protector

law_reb
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2205 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Their last journey into hard shell CP's, the B2000, I think it was, was a good protector, just way too thick and heavy.  I had one and man was it hot.  This one looks a lot better.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Guys, I'm resurrecting an old thread for a reason... One of our rookie umpires selected a +POS ZRO-G Chest Protector at the refurb price and has recently received it and we'll be fitting it to him this week. I'd like to give you a report on what this CP is like.

First off, I think we're out of the woods on +POS's order fulfillment woes. Mario (the new umpire) ordered the CP and received it four days later. What surprised me was his ready trust in a +POS over a Wilson. He did note that while the Gold is out there at $120 – $200 (retail store), the ZRO-G is, in brand-new condition (manufacturer refurb) at $69. The two look similar, carapace-wise, and Mario did favor what looks to be better ventilation on the ZRO-G.

He's right, it does. The ZRO-G achieves its marked lightness by doing three things very well. First, the carapace plates are not thick, dense ABS plastic. Instead, they are (likely) a PVC plastic, akin to molded fenders on modern cars and lite vehicles. The plates are there for structure, not for energy dissipation, because of the presence of the second thing – closed-cell foam laminated to open-cell "sizing" foam. The closed cell foam is doing the bulk of the work on energy absorption, while the sizing foam creates that standoff "contact zone" between your body and the closed-cell foam. The foam sandwich is then encased in an open-lattice wicking mesh that promotes airflow. The third feature is the "focused, tactical layout" of the foam vest's segments. Instead of employing one unilateral, blanketing foam section – like our friends at Wilson lazily do – the ZRO-G arranges its foam into segments, with channeled joints and seams, which again promote airflow and ventilation. It isn't to the same engineered extreme as an All-Star System 7 CPU, which features a heat chimney cut right down the center of the chest plate, but the ZRO-G has an impressive degree of thought put into these pad-pod placements.

The fasteners are formidable 1.5" side release buckles (same as All-Star and Force3), there are removable / repositionable pectoral wings, and robust shoulder ailettes and pauldrons. The harness is a bit fussy, being a simple T-harness, but it would be able to take a Flex harness (a RayFlex, to be sure) with no problem. +POS has addressed this in their latest CP design, the Cobra, which utilizes an X-style four-point harness.

So in the next few days, we'll get this dialed in for Mario specifically, and he'll have one impressive CP to not only start the fall tournament season with, but to have for Umpire School this winter.

+POS ZROG-CP.jpg

• Like 6

If I had to take a guess I'm thinking its failure of the rivets. I have this CP and I love it. @MadMax has it down pat with his description. After using it for a year, I have experienced 2 rivet failures both to impact events. But @Madmax provided the fix for that..........50 cent Chicago fasteners......the harness is needing of a Razzer or System7 upgrade......

But even so, Im pleased with it.

• Like 2

I don't know if it works the same way with this type of gear, but a friend who sold Apple computers to corporations had said that if they sent a computer out it was considered sold, so any returns could not be sold as new. He had a truckload of new, unopened gear that all had to be opened and reboxed and then sold as refurbished, even though it never left the trailer and was returned with the original shrinkwrap on the original pallet. 

• Like 2

On 8/7/2017 at 1:33 PM, Razzer said:

COBRA

I await your review on both the CP and the harness.

If you remember, I contemplated purchasing one of these when I was looking for a new chest protector before settling on a Schutt MadMaXV.

I used the +Pos ZRO-G refurb last night and the only issue is the rivets on one of the shoulder pads. They didn't pull down the cloth / padding before putting in the rivet in so the plastic rubs on my arm which is a pain in the ass. The other shoulder pad was riveted properly so I'm going to have to figure out a solution as my arm got cut up after pulling double plate duty last night.

On 8/8/2017 at 6:34 PM, BT_Blue said:

I await your review on both the CP and the harness.

If you remember, I contemplated purchasing one of these when I was looking for a new chest protector before settling on a Schutt MadMaXV.

Well here is my initial response to the +POS COBRA CP

First thing I can say was the communication was first class and I picked up the box 3 days after ordering.

The box was very light..hope the cp was in it...lol

After inspecting the rig I was pleasantly surprised how much thought and design went into the product.

Very low profile

Protective

fit was ok "13 

Harness is a good idea but in its current format it is gimmicky and could be improved or buy a after market product that will work.

I really liked the breast plate and clavicle protection.

When first tried on I noticed that the clavicle plastic was sitting to square at the top. I thought I would need to use the heat gun to form the curve better. I added a UL harness and it did the trick.

The cp comes with 2 side wings and a neck pad...side wings work well but no need for the neck pad. Same thing on the Force 3

The Skeleton separates from the back pad so it can be washed.

Padding

Not sure what is used but my only concern is not enough or what are the properties of the foam used. I guess I am willing to try it in a game to know because overall  this is a decent product.

Shoulder caps

Well made and better than the F3 which I own V1

Gap Protection

Excellent

Breast Plate

Excellent

What would I change

I would add a "1/4 foam (Memory) Think blue camping mat roll encased in micro mesh nylon or polyester.

Why? Just to give you that extra feeling you are protected more.

Harness

The UL harness transformed the fit and feel of the rig and that is what it is about...rig stays where it is supposed to be

Last Thought

+pos made a very interesting CP and as a customer I am overall happy with my purchase.

I am not into endorsing but this unit has a chance if customers/umpires can over look some of the past mistakes + pos made in dealing with us

I score this CP 8/10 on fit protection and design

I give 10/10 on customer service

Ray

Umplife

• Like 6