Plate Coat

panda76
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3434 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On the fence about getting a plate coat this fall when they go on sale from Honigs.  Any thoughts for those who have "taken the plunge?"  Are they true to size as advertised?  I fit a 48R suit jacket like a glove and am curious if this would hold true for anyone who bought a plate coat with the protector in mind. (I have a Douglas).  Any pics just curious and thanks for any feedback and thoughts.

Panda

I have a Honig's and love it. Quality is superb and it is my preferred coat vs jacket and ball bags. My 44 fit true to size but I do recommend having yourself measured just to be sure. Every time I wear it someone compliments the plate coat. Glad I made the investment.
  • Like 3

I wear a 42R in a suit coat, and have had 42 and 44 plate coats, worn with a Platinum. I had the 44 taken in a little a the waist, but it was close.

I gave them both up because I used them so infrequently here in San Diego. Oh, they looked great, and the feeling you get when walking the field with one is awesome. But they hung in my closet for 11 months and two week a year.

One tip. Be sure to put some extra stitches in the button that holds the jacket together. I had one pop one evening, and that's no good.

I have a Honig's and love it. Quality is superb and it is my preferred coat vs jacket and ball bags. My 44 fit true to size but I do recommend having yourself measured just to be sure. Every time I wear it someone compliments the plate coat. Glad I made the investment.

Mr Ump looks like a pro!

Consider All American Sports Shop.  I was checking into this by phone recently & was informed by the owner that he would be carrying the Hardwick branded coats this next season (2015).  In the past his coats were Fechheimer made.  Best to order Oct/Nov.  His price for 2014 was $250.  He did not say if that would be the same price for 2015 but I believe Honig's is around $295.  The Honig's coats are also Hardwick branded & are the same as supplied to MLB.  I have read good posts on these forums in the past for All-American.  Might be able to save a few bucks if prices are similar for 2015.

• Like 1

Consider All American Sports Shop.  I was checking into this by phone recently & was informed by the owner that he would be carrying the Hardwick branded coats this next season (2015).  In the past his coats were Fechheimer made.  Best to order Oct/Nov.  His price for 2014 was $250.  He did not say if that would be the same price for 2015 but I believe Honig's is around $295.  The Honig's coats are also Hardwick branded & are the same as supplied to MLB.  I have read good posts on these forums in the past for All-American.  Might be able to save a few bucks if prices are similar for 2015.

Bought mine from All American as well. If the price was $100 more I would still get it from them.

As I have mentioned before, the owner Rich is a top notch umpire and a man I admire. He has served LL DA for as long as I can remember and was instrumental in staring one of the first Challenger Leagues. 

I buy all that I can from All American. I encourage all of you to do the same.

• Like 1

I have a Fech blue coat that was given to me a few years ago & I wear it as often as I can but for HS we now have the ridiculous combination of black jackets, navy shirts & hats so many of the newer umps only have black jackets.  Every now & then I also break it out for USSSA  in Semi's or Championship games.  Funny thing is you hardly ever hear a word from coaches or fans when you're sporting that look.  Don't really know why.  "Fear the Coat" I guess.

Ok, quick informal poll - Protector worn directly under the plate coat or under a mock?

I wear this off brand (but really nice) black long sleeve shirt over my protector...very thin material....I don't like the other look of showing my chest protector...unless Wilson pays me for advertising my Gold Vintage.....

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I just got the plate coat from All American but won't wear it until next spring. I'm wondering about how to keep it clean - especially with switching balls in and out of the pockets. Should I Scotchguard it all over or in those areas perhaps?

Nic

I just got the plate coat from All American but won't wear it until next spring. I'm wondering about how to keep it clean - especially with switching balls in and out of the pockets. Should I Scotchguard it all over or in those areas perhaps?

Nic

Have your partner wear ball bags on the bases and handle that part of it.

• Like 3

Nic

Size, color and how much?

• Like 1