Todd Tichenor mask pads

rjt6
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3575 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Anyone know what kind of pads he's wearing - I have no clue... They have the 5 velcro straps like Wilson wrap-arounds, but they're not Wilsons. (Color's too dark)

Also - bad pic because it's not zoomed in. Doesn't help much either

Wonder if @Fittske24 knows...  :lol:

post-2909-0-76970200-1396837182.png

older shot, but looks the same .........it's the same frame as your picture (Nike Ti)

not enough velcro. the OP pic has two sets of velcro on each side and the chin strap color is the same as the side straps. Not so in your pic of the Wilson.

I noticed that too TL, two velcro straps on each side of lower jaw/chin pad.

I found some black +POS pads on their site for the plastic/nylon framed mask they used to sell called the Super-Ultra Light (SUL) that I am sure used to also come in tan with two velcro on each side of jaw/chin pad.  A lot of my more experienced partners when I first started had a lot of +POS gear and many had that mask.  Since I am a gear junkie (although not on the level of Fittske or KFinn) I always looked at my partners' gear and asked a lot of questions the first couple of years I umpired.

Anyone else seen +POS in tan?  I vaguely remember some guys had tan (some were almost orange) in their +POS masks.

@the_umpire

Those are definitely the ones he is wearing,  The high sides on the jaws and the strap in the middle of the chin portion which the +POS does not have.

The pics on the Japanese website make them look kind of plastic coated to me.  Definitely do not look like doe/deerskin.

Still great to know.

I took this screen shot of Tichenor and it does look like he has the Belgard pads.

post-638-0-89667600-1396928727_thumb.jpg

Also I had a question about mask pads. Cory Blaser used Team Wendy last year and this year it looks like he is either using Wilson non-wrap around or Team Wendy with a Wilson logo

post-638-0-33552000-1396928929_thumb.jpg

I took this screen shot of Tichenor and it does look like he has the Belgard pads.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Also I had a question about mask pads. Cory Blaser used Team Wendy last year and this year it looks like he is either using Wilson non-wrap around or Team Wendy with a Wilson logo

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Tichenor did the same thing as Vanover, slapped some duct tape over the Riddell logo on his power.

ok, that zipper isn't even in a place where it would be accessible? anybody have any ideas as to its purpose? it is an unusual pad shape though would like to see them up close.

The zipper is accessible when the pads aren't on the frame. The idea behind it is that you can get replacement pads for less because you can simply change out the foam inside them and you don't have to buy a whole new set of pads. Considering that most manufactures as well as MLB and MiLB recommend changing your pads every year due to the pads wearing out because of ozone exposure it's not a terrible idea. I know I typically don't wear out leather pads very quickly and I doubt many people wear them out too fast either. So if the leather is still good why not just keep it and change out the foam. In Japan they also have higher prices on most leather products or synthetic leather products which could be another reason that it is more prominent over there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...