Reebok Plate/Base Shoe

MT_Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3671 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Good Opening Evening all! 

I am looking to possibly pick up a pair of Reebok Zig Plate (and Base) shoes and i was curious if anyone had any positive/negative experiences with them they would be willing to share?

MT

They are absolutely great shoes and super light weight but the only down side is that they are very poorly made. I own 3 pair of the black low plates and had one pair were the leather holding the plate ripped off of both shoes. They may be the best on the market but to get 2 years out of them may really be pushing it. 

Did you search first :fuel: .  You will have Thunderheads all over you as soon as he sees it.  He will be like this :hopmad: .

I'm not sure what's more tiresome, .... people asking questions that have been talked to death, even after the 'search first' post, ...or.... @gnhbua93 commenting on it as above :shrug::no:

• Like 4

Did you search first :fuel: .  You will have Thunderheads all over you as soon as he sees it.  He will be like this :hopmad: .

I'm not sure what's more tiresome, .... people asking questions that have been talked to death, even after the 'search first' post, ...or.... @gnhbua93 commenting on it as above :shrug::no:

Good morning Jeffery.

Good morning Jeffery. ('rey', not 'ery')

Jeff, please ......just Jeff is fine :D

Good morning Jeffery. ('rey', not 'ery')

Jeff, please ......just Jeff is fine :D

:wave:

I have the shamu reebok magistrate plates and LOVE them. Zig base and they're doing well. In their 2nd season with no signs of damage. But with all the negative feedback about problems ppl are having with them, I'm gonna be ordering a new pair of NB base shoes in the near future.

I was a NB450 plate shoe guy. Tried a friend's Reebok Magistrate mid-hi plate shoes and loved them. Bought my own. In their fourth year and still look and feel great. I work around 150-200 plate jobs a year so they get their workout. Still love them although they do have too much white. Considering blacking out and Leather Lustering them this summer if they still feel good to me.

Also have Reebok hi-top leather magistrate base shoes. They are in their 8th season and are good but now my backups for muddy fields. Still a great shoe but again too much white. They were a gift from a friend who got them from an MLB guy so I wore them with pride.

I've had New Balance 350 hi top base shoes too. They were good to me and wore well. Four seasons. Just sold them to a guy getting into umpiring and he loves them.

My two cents.....

I went to a store who had umpire gear and tried both reeboks.  Neither model was offered in Wide width, which is a problem, but my old NBs had fallen apart and I needed something that day.  

The Zigs were incredibly narrow. 

The (Magistrates?) were passable and what I ended up with. 

I will be ordering NB Wide when I get a chance. 

I have the same problem with the leather part holding the plate one tearing. I cut the rest of the strip off and (with a little well placed velcro) have made some very nice base/plate hybrid shoes ( when life gives you lemons, right?). I spent too much on these to not get my money's worth out off them. I will say they are the most comfortable shoes I have put on my feet. I can work 3 games in a row and my feet still feel great. Very comfortable, lightweight, and durable (except for the leather strap thingy). I have the whites and they also clean up well. My partner last night couldn't believe they were almost 2 years old.

Just my opinion:

I wish someone would start making the old Van's/XS line with quality workmaship and materials. IMO they were the best designed and lightest plate shoes ever made. I wear Reebok since I can't stand the high top NB shoes. Van's had the MLB contract in the 80's.  

Now another idea would be to turn the old NB 350 into a plate shoe, I still have a brand new pair in my closet and one I just started using agian this year. Best base shoes I ever owned,and blows the Zigs away for comfort.