Smitty Poly Wool Plate Pant Dissatisfaction

wvumpire1807
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3674 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just got a pair of Smitty PW base pants from UA and after hemming, they fit and look just fine. Their base pants are true base pants and will not work with shins. They are a different color than say Gerry Davis but close enough. They do have an expanding waist which is good if you want to tuck in a jacket (that's another thread!!) :blah For the price they are fine. Might stick with Gerry Davis for next plate pants after hearing other stories.

Im anxious to see what Myra will do.  I don't want Smitty plate pants and that's all they sell.

Did you see what the rep from Ump-attire posted?  They did some checking .... it appears Smitty has plate pants that are actually combos (marked as plates) ....that's your issue .....if you get plates, .......you'll be fine.

Or ...am I missing something :shrug:

I ordered a pair of the Smitty charcoal pants a couple of years ago, just to use as a beater pair. One of the things I hated was the placement and size of the belt loops. I wore the pants like one season and then retired them, just didnt care for them. I have a new pair of the Smitty charcoal pants that I ordered this year from UA and they have corrected the belt loop issue and the overall quality appears to have much improved. I only wear them when I am working tournament ball and use my nice poly wools for high school. One of my friends was wearing the Smitty polywools that he ordered last year. They had the same belt loop problems, too narrow and not spaced correctly. They also had the problem of getting those little fabric pulls (dont know what you call them) but it looked like they had been washed to much even though my buddy said that he only dry cleaned them. I am curious if anyone that had ordered them from UA saw if the belt loop deal was fixed or are they still using the same weird ones?

Has anyone orderd the "new and improved Honigs ultimates"?

I have a pair of Smitty PW from UA packaged up ready to send back.  I was planning on using them as base pants until I read this.  They are awful.  Would NOT fit over my WV GOld shins.  That said…I have a pair of Smitty non-PW plate pants and I like them.  

:HSYou wanted Smitty plate pants to save on money.  U-A looks into the problem and they were apparently mislabeled and you got combos instead of plate pants.  U-A offers to make it right.  Now you don't want Smitty plate pants. :HS   :shrug:   

• Like 5

Why would I re buy a product that UA says isn't what I want?  I want true plate pants, obviouslt Smitty cant figure out how to make plate pants, so I am not buying that brand from anyone.  I called GD and ordered their plate pants.  They are the same price and I know they look good.

Why would I re buy a product that UA says isn't what I want?  I want true plate pants, obviouslt Smitty cant figure out how to make plate pants, so I am not buying that brand from anyone.  I called GD and ordered their plate pants.  They are the same price and I know they look good.

UA did NOT say that.  They said the supplier (Smitty) had mismarked Combos and Plate pants.  All you had to do is have UA measure a pair of plates for you to make sure they're correct (which they said they'd do).

GD pants look good? :HS

They said they have measured the pants, and I have a pair of combo Smitty pants and they look better than the plate pants I rcvd last week.  IThe reason I just got a refund and went with the GD is bc I know the GD pants are a true plate pant and wont have to worry about them being too narrow around the legs.

WVUMPIRE1807-Frankly your entire argument makes ZERO sense to me! And after Ump-Attire took care of the issue you couldn't so much as say thank you....But you had no problem starting a thread to blame them for something that wasn't even their fault!

Furthermore to each there own(I'm sure I'm going to piss someone off here but here it goes...) If you did in fact work Pro-Ball as you say, then why wouldn't you go with a true Poly Wool pant...Honigs does have the best looking pair...At first you said you wanted to stay on the cheap-so you went with the Smitty's and once the issue is corrected you get GD's instead... :shrug:  :shakehead:  :WTF

It's just confusing(apparently not just to me) as to why you wouldn't have tried these on 'in gear' to make sure they are correct...You don't have to have worked Pro Ball to know that If you want to look good/correct to put your gear on and get them tailored....

• Like 3

To be fair, it's not an issue of Smitty not being capable of making plate pants, the factory overseas mislabeled the pants.  I spoke with the owner of Smitty this morning and he was aware of the issue as well. They did the same thing we did, go through and check the pants.  We had received our pants before anyone noticed that some of the pants had been mislabeled, but I think we have everything straight now.  As I said yesterday, you rely on us, we rely on Smitty and Smitty relies on the factory to make sure everything is correct.  Mostly we all get it right, but due to the volume of inventory moving between each stage, it's impossible to check every single item and keep pricing at a reasonable level.  Will mistakes happen in the future?  Count on it.  Will we do the best we can to make it right?  You bet.~Paul

• Like 12

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3674 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.