New ejection rule for USSSA Georgia

BigUmpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3639 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Anyone who thinks that a manager has or can achieve absolute control (or even limited control) over parents, sponsors, and spectators is absolutely clueless.

This is why a pre-season coaches meeting/training session is SO valuable.

"Gentlemen, you have been warned"

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks that a manager has or can achieve absolute control (or even limited control) over parents, sponsors, and spectators is absolutely clueless.

Of course no one can "achieve absolute control" over another. The coach did however either select assclown's son to be on his team or was placed there by the league.The parents/coaches/sponsors are there to support the team. If they are hurting the team with their behavior, then that is a team/league problem. If a team problem becomes a game problem, we fix the game problem by disciplining the one responsible for the team (the HC). If bad consequences follow bad behavior, the team/league should look in-would for a solution, not out-would (the umpire).

It is amazing how much better parents/coaches/sponsors behaved when there is an umpire crew that doesn't put up with their crap.

• Like 1

Of course no one can "achieve absolute control" over another. The coach did however either selected assclown's son to be on his team or was placed there by the league.The parents/coaches/sponsors are there to support the team. If they are hurting the team with their behavior, then that is a team/league problem. If a team problem becomes a game problem, we fix the game problem by disciplining the one responsible for the team (the HC). If bad consequences follow bad behavior, the team/league should look in-would for a solution, not out-would (the umpire).

It is amazing how much better parents/coaches/sponsors behaved when there is an umpire crew that doesn't put up with their crap.

Bumper stickers:

First one is best for a game situation AND the START of the season.:

• "Eject early to eject less"-Jeapugrad
  • “Keep running the malcontents until you have only happy, well behaved people around you.â€-Bigumpire"
  • "Actions have consequences"- James Walker
  • “ If you have 100 monkeys misbehaving, KILL ONE, watch the rest of them straighten upâ€- Bigumpire
  • "My last coach ejection was several years ago but I don't have to because they know I will"-mstaylor
  • "You will only regret the ejection you missed"-.mstaylor
  • “Umpires should be like John Wayne toilet paper: Rough and tough and won’t take crap off of anyoneâ€-Bigumpire

You guys really don't have a clue about managing a team in game do you.

Must be nice living in Disneyland Rich

Big all you have to do is look at his avatar. "nuff said!

• Like 1

Most of us have played and coached long before we became umpires.

Most of us live in real world of crappy, untrained, unskilled youth coaches that believe they know all of the rules and have received most of their baseball knowledge watching TV and never reading a rulebook.

These guys have big egos and their TV knowledge combined with youth leagues run by people that only serve to manipulate things for their own children OR tournament directors that cater to the coaches that put the bucks in their hands that they get a piece of we will see more and more RAT youth coaches that act like uneducated fools and want to challenge us for no real reason.

Good luck Rich and say HI to Mickey and Minnie for us umpires in the real world.

• Like 3

Rich, I do have a very good idea of what it takes to run a staff. When I managed I told my parents and coaches, any umpire discussion will be done by me period. I only had to re-enforce that once in a game. My parents got all over an umpire that was completely correct. I went to talk to him, told him I understood what he called, agreed with it, just out here shutting my idiot parents up. I went back to the dugout, through it and straight to the problem parents. I told them in very unnice terms to shut up or go to their cars.

• Like 4

We've had this rule for some time and we all wish that the coaches would control their parents but sometimes parents get stuck on stupid.To my knowledge all the USSSA games here in SoCal are played at Big League Dream parks.They all have a full bar. So beer and hard liquor add some color to the behavior of the parents.I have reminded the coaches at the plate meeting that its o'beer thirty and that they are responsible for their crowd. No threats. Just a reminder and they know totally what I'm talking about.

Rich, same league I already mentioned, I had a kid that was absolutely hell bent to wear his "lucky" necklace. I told him he had to take it off if he wanted to play. He said he absolutely wanted to keep it on. I told him that was fine, I will take you off the sub list and you can wear it on the bench. Guess where the necklace went? Yes, Rich, I checked my kids every game for jewelry.

• Like 1

If you are managing a youth team you have to manage all involved.

Depends on the youth league.

LL has it in writing that managers are not responsible for the conduct of the fans.

OBR has the "home club" (meaning the administration, not the team manager) responsible for policing conduct. Anyone using OBR based rules (LL, Ripken, Dixie, PONY, most independents) would have this apply unless they specifically modify it.

NCAA coaches must seek help from administrators in controlling unruly spectators.

• Like 1

Of course no one can "achieve absolute control" over another.

But that's what the Georgia rule requires.  Now what?

Rich, same league I already mentioned, I had a kid that was absolutely hell bent to wear his "lucky" necklace. I told him he had to take it off if he wanted to play. He said he absolutely wanted to keep it on. I told him that was fine, I will take you off the sub list and you can wear it on the bench. Guess where the necklace went? Yes, Rich, I checked my kids every game for jewelry.

Who is this addressed to?  Me?  Where did I say I wasn't responsible for players?  I didn't. I won't because I am. Many of the respondents seem to be reading what they want to read instead of what is actually there.

BUT

I did say the manager can't control parents, sponsors, and spectators (people outside the fence folks!) during the game. I stand by that part.

Clearly this rule is geared for the 2-6 assistant coaches that most youth teams seem have that are always making asses of them selves and sometime the 1-2 bleacher umpires that get carried away and get loud enough to either disrupt the game and/or get on the field.

Before this rule a head coach could just say " if Dan gets tossed is on him" and not try to get ahead of a mess.

Just a rulebook tool for the umpire and TDs of Georgia BUT a good one.

As stated before this should be hammered into the coaches before the season starts or when they show up for their first USSSA tournament.

Also if you are tossed this Georgia USSSA rule is also in the book:

Managers, coaches, assistant coaches, trainers, scorekeepers, parents, sponsors, and spectators ejected from a league / tournament ending game (i.e.; elimination game, championship game), shall be required to forego their attendance at the team’s first game in their next sanctioned event. "

This is also in the book:

Managers, coaches, assistant coaches, trainers, scorekeepers, parents, sponsors and spectators ejected from a game shall immediately remove themselves and all personal belongings from the vicinity of the playing field and / or grandstands to the parking area outside the venue and shall remain outside the venue for the remainder of the game ejected from plus one additional game. Under no circumstances shall ejected managers, coaches, assistant coaches, trainers, scorekeepers, parents, sponsors or spectators return to the vicinity of the playing field and / or grandstands upon game completion. Ejected managers, coaches, assistant coaches, trainers, scorekeepers, parents, sponsors and spectators returning to the vicinity of the playing field and / or grandstands upon game completion shall be treated as trespassers and local law enforcement shall be notified.

I completely agree the rules are as you say in those leagues, doesn't mean the manager shouldn't be preemptive in fan/coach control. If you know a guy is a jack wagon, don't have him coach. I saw a team fire their manager and a his son removed from the team because they simply could not control themselves and it was affecting the team.

My point about the player was to show I controlled my team unlike many managers. Managers are responsible for more than line-ups and pitching changes.

• Like 3

Lets set aside your hyperbolic use of "absolute control", because the Georgia rule does not require it.

Yesterday someone wrote (and then deleted) that a HC that notices that the parents are getting out of control is not paying enough attention to the game. I guess he deleted it because he knows that's poppy-cock. 

In youth ball there are some coaches who want to "work" the umpire. And then there are some coaches that know that they can't "work" the umpire, so they allow their fans to "work" the umpire for them. Some parents can't let kids play a kids game without trying to influence the game. The Georgia rule gives umpires a tool with which to prevent this.

• Like 5

Lets set aside your hyperbolic use of "absolute control", because the Georgia rule does not require it.

Yesterday someone wrote (and then deleted) that a HC that notices that the parents are getting out of control is not paying enough attention to the game. I guess he deleted it because he knows that's poppy-cock. 

In youth ball there are some coaches who want to "work" the umpire. And then there are some coaches that know that they can't "work" the umpire, so they allow their fans to "work" the umpire for them. Some parents can't let kids play a kids game without trying to influence the game. The Georgia rule gives umpires a tool with which to prevent this.

This guy knows the " game" coaches play!

I completely agree the rules are as you say in those leagues, doesn't mean the manager shouldn't be preemptive in fan/coach control. If you know a guy is a jack wagon, don't have him coach. I saw a team fire their manager and a his son removed from the team because they simply could not control themselves and it was affecting the team.

My point about the player was to show I controlled my team unlike many managers. Managers are responsible for more than line-ups and pitching changes.

Not according to Rich :stir