Test Question

JamesC
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3678 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

FED Rules

True or False: After the pitcher legally contacts the pitcher's plate, he may turn his shoulders to check runners from either the windup or set position.

Ok, I know what you're thinking. Easy, right? Here's where I raise the question. FED rule 6.1 says, "Turning the shoulders to check runners while in the set position is legal."

However, I cannot find anything regarding this while in the windup. Is there any rule that covers this specifically, and if so, can you provide the reference?

Where are you reading rule 6.1? That reference (with the periods) is usually a caseplay. In any case, turning the shoulder in either the set foot position prior to stretching and actually coming set, or in the windup is nothing. You might make a case that while moving the shoulder in the windup the pitcher moved both arms and thus the TOP was initiated and you could balk this. I hope you won't. You also might make the case that the pitcher in the windup moved his shoulder and thus began a pickoff which is illegal from the windup foot position. I hope you don't do that either. To quote Ump TTS43, FED is DUM. You don't have to be.

Last year's NJ FED test had this question.

It asked if turning the shoulders while n the windup position is legal.

Answer was It is NOT  legal. 

I would assume they consider it the start of his motion. 

According to the BRD, FED doesn't allow checking of runners from the windup if it involves turning the shoulders.

In 6-1-2, it states "With his feet in the wind-up position, the pitcher may only deliver a pitch or step backward off the pitcher's plate with his

pivot foot first."  Combined with FED explicitly stating that a pitcher can turn his shoulders from the set position, we posit he can't from the wind-up position.  Pitch or step-off.  That's it.
  • Like 1

It is a bad question and communicates that turning the shoulders after F1 has finished contacting the rubber in the windup position is legal. It is not. Once F1 has finished his initial windup stance, his next movement that isn't a disengagement (or a direct step throw in OBR), frees R1 to run.

If F1 is in the process of contacting the rubber (not done) and turns his shoulders prior to completing this initial windup stance, no problem (if this is what makes the answer to this question true, then that's a BS)...but if he turns after he's finished his initial windup stance, that most certainly is a balk. 

Odd. But don't forget FED calls the "pre set" the set position. We all know once a pitcher comes set after the stretch he cannot turn the shoulders. so..bottom line...bad question. 

What is this "pre-set" you speak of ?  There are two legal pitching positions: The set, and the wind-up. They are differentiated between, and defined by, the position of the pitcher's feet, relative to the pitcher's plate.

Odd. But don't forget FED calls the "pre set" the set position. We all know once a pitcher comes set after the stretch he cannot turn the shoulders. so..bottom line...bad question. 

What is this "pre-set" you speak of ?  There are two legal pitching positions: The set, and the wind-up. They are differentiated between, and defined by, the position of the pitcher's feet, relative to the pitcher's plate.

Looking in for a sign. Before the pitcher stretches and comes set. Pivot foot on the rubber, free foot in front, ball in the glove or bare hand, hands separated. Often it's tough for me to figure out when FED is talking about this position or after a stretch and the pitcher comes set with hands together, ready to begin his pitching motion. (or pickoff move as the case may be) 

Looking in for a sign. Before the pitcher stretches and comes set. Pivot foot on the rubber, free foot in front, ball in the glove or bare hand, hands separated. Often it's tough for me to figure out when FED is talking about this position or after a stretch and the pitcher comes set with hands together, ready to begin his pitching motion. (or pickoff move as the case may be) 

I got ya. Once he has his feet set, he is either in the set or the windup. He is in the set "position" once he has his pivot foot in contact with, or directly in front of, the pitcher's plate. Just keep in mind that even before he does a "stretch" he is still in the "SET" position. Coming set, and the set position, are two different animals, really. Your description above is what FED is referring to as the "set position". I hope this helped you, rather than making it more confusing.

Yep. I get it. But it drives me nuts.......example...

T-F  A pitcher can't move his shoulders in the set position.

Set "position" or after he "comes set"? 

But that is a product of idiotic test writers. The rule makes it very clear what is and isn't legal. Thankfully we do not take the "Fed" test here. We have our own State test. It may well be made up of actual Fed questions, but I have yet to come across any of the poorly-worded examples I have been hearing about for years on the interwebs.

• Like 1

But that is a product of idiotic test writers. The rule makes it very clear what is and isn't legal. Thankfully we do not take the "Fed" test here. We have our own State test. It may well be made up of actual Fed questions, but I have yet to come across any of the poorly-worded examples I have been hearing about for years on the interwebs.

That's my point. 

• Like 1

Is that a real question or one you made up?

And, the restrictions from the set position happen after the hands are joined, not after the pitcher "comes set."

• Like 1

Is that a real question or one you made up?

And, the restrictions from the set position happen after the hands are joined, not after the pitcher "comes set."

I made it up. But I've seen similar questions. And I always think, what position are they actually talking about. 

• 4 weeks later...