Getting into College ball

Haid D' Salaami
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3802 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The trend is attending different camps and clinics to be seen.  So what you need to do is get to clinics and get in front of those you want to work for. 

I can't agree with this statement more. Since 2010 here is the list of camps/clinics that I have attended:

• 2010 International Umpires Clinic (3-day) (Atlanta, GA)
  • 2011 Southern Umpires Clinic (3-day) (Atlanta, GA)
  • 2011 USA Baseball Breakthrough Series Umpire Clinic (1-week) (Carry, NC)
  • 2011 MLBUC (1-week) (Compton, CA)
  • 2012 SCUA Umpire Clinic (3-day)(Montgomery, AL)
  • 2013 FCU Advanced 3-man (1-week) (Vero Beach, FL)

That's over 216 hours of umpire instruction/drills received. Not to mention the countless on-field evaluations from MLB supervisors/umpires, MiLB umpires, NCAA Assigners etc. If you go to enough of these camps/clinics in your area, you will notice that a lot of the same faces (Instructors/assigners) are at every camp. If you are good enough trust me they know you and will remember you. They can also tell if you are improving as an umpire. At the beginning of all of those camps and clinics, I had just been hired to work non-conference Juco/NAIA/D-III games. Now, I am a D-I conference umpire. At the end of the day, assigners expect you to continue your umpire education. The game changes every year believe it or not. As umpires we must change with it or get left behind.

• Like 2

Congrats!  Get that resume updated and send it to Tom Hiler!   

No disrespect, but just working a college scrimmage isnt gonna get you games... have you even called College before... what levels, have you been to any camps that Hiler has seen you?  College ball is a different animal..I'm not trying to cut you down, but there is a process.

No disrespect, but just working a college scrimmage isnt gonna get you games... have you even called College before... what levels, have you been to any camps that Hiler has seen you?  College ball is a different animal..I'm not trying to cut you down, but there is a process.

Not sure what your point is.  Yes to your first question.  You don't think a guy that's been to Wendelstedt's camp and now has a little big-school D1 fall ball under his belt should even send his resume in?  You translated "send in resume" to "gonna get you games."

I've seen Hiler give guys college summer ball games sight-unseen just based on their schooling and recommendations.  Certain areas are hard to find guys for, due to travel and cost.  Arik from this board and myself went high school ball -> college fall ball -> entry-level college ball through Hiler without pro school.  This guy has pro school added on, so yes, excuse me for being positive and telling him to submit his resume.

Just cause someone went to Pro school doesn't mean they should be working DI baseball.. and if you think that, your sadly mistaken.... I saw many of guy after 5 weeks of umpire school, that i wouldnt give JUCO too.

If someone works a DI scrimmage you think they should be allowed to work DI games?.....

Some times just by looking at a resume, yes you can get games... It just happened to me in my area.

Summer ball games really dont mean much, its just a good cheap way to see guys work. Dont read into too much. I have a guy i worked with at a very Good top level DI CWS school, he worked a fall world series game... but no way in hell is he even close to working a real game.

I strongly agree. I gave a lot of thought of attending the SCUA Camp in Houston. After seeing the big picture and taking a step back I decided not to. Perhaps working the fall Div 1 games filled my head with air. But D1 baseball is a different animal (rules, game management, presence, availability and flexibility). Hopefully I can continue with some fall college games and putting my name out there before I jump in head first. Maybe in a year or so I will be a better umpire and have the NCAA rule book knowledge as well. I am hoping to ease into the JUCO, NAIA and some D3 colleges around Texas first.

One thing I've learned about the NCAA and baseball...its mostly about networking, who you know and your skill level. Pro camp looks good on paper but sometimes not on the field.

I'd just like to point out that the OP in this now fragmented thread simply posted about the great experience he had working a couple of college fall games.  He had no illusion that he was going to jump right up to college ball from where he is right now.

Lots of great discussion about how to get to the college level, but none of it was started by Johnny Cat (the OP).

• Like 1

I'd just like to point out that the OP in this now fragmented thread simply posted about the great experience he had working a couple of college fall games.  He had no illusion that he was going to jump right up to college ball from where he is right now.

Lots of great discussion about how to get to the college level, but none of it was started by Johnny Cat (the OP).

I agree.  This topic has been somewhat hijacked.  I may start a new topic and post some feedback to address some of the more recent responses in more detail and we can let this one die.

Well, if I'd read all the posts, I'd have already seen that Warren did start this as a new topic. A very proficient moderator, that guy...

Here's my advice...

As I've already stated, clinics are the route most are going to have to go to get into college baseball or advance through the different levels of college baseball.

You need to attend a clinic that best matches what you want to achieve at each point in your career. Let's be honest, attending my 2-man camp if you want to get into the Big East probably isn't going to help you very much. You'll make some connections, but that's about it. If you've never umpired a game at the college level and don't have a clue how to work 3-man, you probably shouldn't attend our Advanced Clinic because you're going to be in so far over your head you will hurt your career more than help it.

Clinic attendance is part learning new things and part being seen by the right people and getting on someone's radar.

If you're looking to learn, pick a reputable clinic and take in all you can.

If you're looking to advance, then choosing the right clinic is vital to your success. First, you need to know who it is you are wanting to work for and attend a clinic they will be working, or one where the instructors have connections with that person. The umpiring world is pretty small. My clinic for instance, I have instructors from New York, Indiana, Colorado, and Louisiana. Through their connections we can reach coast-to-coast. If you're from New England and all the instructors at a clinic are from Mississippi, they probably can't help you very much. Second, you want to pick a clinic that will allow you to stand out, not blend in, or be over your head. Blending in isn't bad but you're going to find yourself attending the clinic multiple times if you are trying to get hired. Being in over your head can really hurt your career.

• Like 1

Sending a D-I assigner your resume after working 1 D-I fall scrimmage is a waste of paper and stamp.

It's good that you were given the opportunity.  Hopefully you'll get more.  Keep working hard and you'll get where you want to go.

Like it or not.  Agree or disagree.  The trend is attending different camps and clinics to be seen.  So what you need to do is get to clinics and get in front of those you want to work for.  I believe there was a really good clinic this past weekend in California run by Billy Haze.  If I was wanting to get in front of someone who can get me where I want to be on the west coast, that's where I'd go next year.  Some very good and powerful west coast people are on the staff.

And Ton Hiler was there and Dan Pedersn.

I believe there were other D1/2/3 assignoers there as well (Hiler is a very important one up here not only fir is over all postion with the NCAA, but he is also the small college assigner up here.)

I attended a weekend clinic the Billy Haze (aka Black and Blue Umpire Clinic) put on last year in Redding, CA. This is actually where I got to meet @alex7. I really wanted to attend this year's week long BBUC clinic which midAm posted about. Sadly life and lack of current funds prevented that.

Not sure what your point is.  Yes to your first question.  You don't think a guy that's been to Wendelstedt's camp and now has a little big-school D1 fall ball under his belt should even send his resume in?  You translated "send in resume" to "gonna get you games."

I've seen Hiler give guys college summer ball games sight-unseen just based on their schooling and recommendations.  Certain areas are hard to find guys for, due to travel and cost.  Arik from this board and myself went high school ball -> college fall ball -> entry-level college ball through Hiler without pro school.  This guy has pro school added on, so yes, excuse me for being positive and telling him to submit his resume.

Just cause someone went to Pro school doesn't mean they should be working DI baseball.. and if you think that, your sadly mistaken.... I saw many of guy after 5 weeks of umpire school, that i wouldnt give JUCO too.

If someone works a DI scrimmage you think they should be allowed to work DI games?.....

Some times just by looking at a resume, yes you can get games... It just happened to me in my area.

Summer ball games really dont mean much, its just a good cheap way to see guys work. Dont read into too much. I have a guy i worked with at a very Good top level DI CWS school, he worked a fall world series game... but no way in hell is he even close to working a real game.

I strongly agree. I gave a lot of thought of attending the SCUA Camp in Houston. After seeing the big picture and taking a step back I decided not to. Perhaps working the fall Div 1 games filled my head with air. But D1 baseball is a different animal (rules, game management, presence, availability and flexibility). Hopefully I can continue with some fall college games and putting my name out there before I jump in head first. Maybe in a year or so I will be a better umpire and have the NCAA rule book knowledge as well. I am hoping to ease into the JUCO, NAIA and some D3 colleges around Texas first.

One thing I've learned about the NCAA and baseball...its mostly about networking, who you know and your skill level. Pro camp looks good on paper but sometimes not on the field.

you took the step back and looked at the big pitcher--my advice is to go for it will you have the good feeling about college, "no time like the present"  go to a camp and see what happens, what do you have to lose..  If you think you are not ready yet , at the camp you will learn what you need to work on--GO FOR IT AND DON'T LOK BACK. :)

Sending a D-I assigner your resume after working 1 D-I fall scrimmage is a waste of paper and stamp.

It's good that you were given the opportunity.  Hopefully you'll get more.  Keep working hard and you'll get where you want to go.

Like it or not.  Agree or disagree.  The trend is attending different camps and clinics to be seen.  So what you need to do is get to clinics and get in front of those you want to work for.  I believe there was a really good clinic this past weekend in California run by Billy Haze.  If I was wanting to get in front of someone who can get me where I want to be on the west coast, that's where I'd go next year.  Some very good and powerful west coast people are on the staff.

Hiler assigns non D-1 areas/games as well.  There's a need for college umpires in many areas.  

If it was a waste of paper, some of us wouldn't have made it.  You guys keep talking about D1, when no one else said D1.

Your right Alex we did.. that guy was working a scrimmage at SDSU a DI school.. you said " send Hiler your resume".. why for a JUCO school?......huh

you talked about looking professional, but no professional umpires have trimmed Goatee.. no DI regional guys do, or CWS guys..?  My suggestion is to shave it off.. when I worked JUCo in Cali, my assigner said " nice goatee" which was very short and trimmed... i said " I'll shave it off tonight" he said thanks...

Do what you wish, Midamump and I work in the same area and know how it is out hee and everywhere south and east.. go to clinics, get seen, but be careful not to get in too deep. And Shave.

I've had several guys who have worked for me in the Northwoods League start working some very small schedules, several guys who ended up working a season in rookie ball or two, then left MiLB...of course that helped on the resume...but the NWL is populated by many, many top notch D1 players...

Maybe I should call Hiler and have him come down to OUTS this year...lol...he owes me one from 1996...jk!

Your right Alex we did.. that guy was working a scrimmage at SDSU a DI school.. you said " send Hiler your resume".. why for a JUCO school?......huh

you talked about looking professional, but no professional umpires have trimmed Goatee.. no DI regional guys do, or CWS guys..?  My suggestion is to shave it off.. when I worked JUCo in Cali, my assigner said " nice goatee" which was very short and trimmed... i said " I'll shave it off tonight" he said thanks...

Do what you wish, Midamump and I work in the same area and know how it is out hee and everywhere south and east.. go to clinics, get seen, but be careful not to get in too deep. And Shave.

I just don't see why you continually state that your way is the only way, and reference top D1 as your evidence.  In smaller college associations, including some run by the assigner we've referred to, multiple guys have well-trimmed goatees and not once has it been brought up.

The original poster, myself, many other readers...we're not talking DI regionals.  That's not our reality.  So we don't HAVE to do everything exactly the way they do it.  We don't HAVE to crease our caps.  We don't HAVE to wear polywools.  We don't HAVE to keep a zero-facial-hair profile.  We certainly may.  But we just go out and umpire the heck out of our games, not suck, and get thanked.

And dang it, since you have me riled up, it's "you're," not your.   But maybe that's the way D1 guys spell it.  I dunno.   =)

Your, not going to make it very fair, with the thin skin that you have. Plain and simple. Shave, look professional and see if that helps...

So how many games DI did you get from Hiler? With your Non polywool's and trimmed goatee?...

and I didnt now that we're on a frickin english channell. butt thx for leting me now this.

And BTW I never said there is 1 way.... there are many.. 

I'm going to marry a woman with money. That way I won't need a real job. Then I'm going to spend my wife's money on every camp/clinic I can find. I'm going to bring my straight edge razor to camp and shave so close that my face is like a baby's butt. Then I'm going to kiss a bunch of ass.

Has that ever worked?

• Like 1

Why can't you have facial hair?  

You can, but if you're trying to or working legit D1 games, then you won't.  It's just par for course on the "professional" look.  No facial hair.  If you're like many of us just working lower-level college ball, then a well-trimmed goatee or mustache is nothing out of the ordinary, just like wearing regular non-polywools won't stand out at these levels.

And Haid, you can stop with the condescending remarks.  Many of us are happy working the lower levels of college ball afforded by our location and won't be relocating to work high D1.

I believe there were other D1/2/3 assignoers there as well (Hiler is a very important one up here not only fir is over all postion with the NCAA, but he is also the small college assigner up here.)

I attended a weekend clinic the Billy Haze (aka Black and Blue Umpire Clinic) put on last year in Redding, CA. This is actually where I got to meet @alex7. I really wanted to attend this year's week long BBUC clinic which midAm posted about. Sadly life and lack of current funds prevented that.

I was at this clinic last week. This is the place to be if you want to move up. I was observed by the people mentioned above and got promoted to D2 for 2014. I had been referred by others before getting to camp. My previous experience was at the JC level. Over the last five years I have worked a boatload of D1 fall and spring scrimmage games for no pay. At camp, I busted my tail and didn't drink too much. That worked for me. One piece of advice that was given was if you are a good umpire, you will move up. Someone will see you and you will advance. It's inevitable. But you do have to work for it.

I was at this clinic last week. This is the place to be if you want to move up. I was observed by the people mentioned above and got promoted to D2 for 2014. I had been referred by others before getting to camp. My previous experience was at the JC level. Over the last five years I have worked a boatload of D1 fall and spring scrimmage games for no pay. At camp, I busted my tail and didn't drink too much. That worked for me. One piece of advice that was given was if you are a good umpire, you will move up. Someone will see you and you will advance. It's inevitable. But you do have to work for it.

Hear Hear! Be so good they can't ignore you I always say. The D1 college games I did were all no pay but the experience and networking was worth it.