AFL Instant Replay Update: Video Reverses Call In Game 2

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3815 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, ...call me whatever, but ....................... it was almost as if a couple of those plays were called "INCORRECTLY" on purpose to prove a point to see if the IR would work properly .....

The safe/out at first seemed pretty clear, and the out at second on the steal was a clear safe in real speed also ....   just a possible theory....I'm not knocking any of the guys on the field last night, I'm just thinking  out loud.

The other thing I thought to myself was ......... they better have a more discreet way to doing this aside from sending huge headphones onto the field to the PU each time :no:

@Thunderheads I was thinking the same thing the other night when they were discussing the use of IR and how the rules for IR were going to be changing in every game and coaches were going to be encouraged to freely challenge calls. 

Now I haven't seen any of the plays in question yet, but...

My thought was that since professional umpires hit somewhere close to 95% in getting calls right ( @Gil: Owner - UEFL can probably give us the more exact number) that there was a real possibility that the umpires could go all 5 IR games without missing one. If that were to happen, the experiment wouldn't have as strong of effect.

My thought was that since professional umpires hit somewhere close to 95% in getting calls right ( @Gil: Owner - UEFL can probably give us the more exact number) that there was a real possibility that the umpires could go all 5 IR games without missing one. If that were to happen, the experiment wouldn't have as strong of effect.

99.5% — that's the figure from ESPN's data during their "umpires miss 20% of close calls" study. The precise math on that relies on the finding that 1.3 close calls occur per game, on average, meaning that an average of 0.26 calls per game are missed. Assuming 55 calls per game (27 outs + 27 outs + 1 run-producing play not resulting in an out [walk-off not withstanding]), we're looking at a minimum, on average, of 55 calls per game—assuming we have a near perfect game and a one-hitter opposing each other. If 0.26 calls per game are missed, we have 0.26/55 or approximately 1/220. 219/220 = 99.545 percent.

MLB's own statistics support the argument (not a statistically significant difference).

http://www.closecallsports.com/2012/06/yankees-granderson-call-for-umpire.html

Two of the "challenges" were base appeals that were never properly appealed. One was a simple miss of third on a return to second. He turn but shortcut third going back. That counted as a reversal but it was never appealed so that is BS. Now the umpires didn't rotate completely correct but I suspect they still would have had it but we will never know. The other appeal was at second. It was a lead-off triple, and out comes the manager. There was a very lengthy discussion, finally they reviewed the tag at third, absolute no brainer, stupid review. Then out comes the manger and appeals the miss of second. It shows U2 standing set on top of the call and a touch. So it took forever, two stupid reviews that should never have happened. This experiment is a complete joke and is making MLB look stupid. When was the last time you saw two missed base appeals in the same game at the pro level?

That brings up an interesting question, and I know they're in this trial phase, but why would they allow IR on an uncontested appealable play? They have a tool in place for missed bases/ leaving early. They should be forced to do a traditional appeal before going to IR, shouldn't they???

Also, that would in effect make it a dead ball appeal which is not allowed. Thus not giving the offense to start a new play forcing the defense to loose their right to appeal or correct their action.

I think when you give managers 3 reviews per game, we'll see a lot less of the silly reviews. Like the tag at 3rd, or the catch/no catch in the 1st game. Right now they're being encouraged to use review so they're running out there on everything. Even plays that are not really close. This is what Arizona and ST will be for....To see what happens on things like missed bases, and make sure replay is being used right. IR rule needs to stipulate there has to be a play and a call before anything can be reviewed. 

Two of the "challenges" were base appeals that were never properly appealed. One was a simple miss of third on a return to second. He turn but shortcut third going back. That counted as a reversal but it was never appealed so that is BS. Now the umpires didn't rotate completely correct but I suspect they still would have had it but we will never know. The other appeal was at second. It was a lead-off triple, and out comes the manager. There was a very lengthy discussion, finally they reviewed the tag at third, absolute no brainer, stupid review. Then out comes the manger and appeals the miss of second. It shows U2 standing set on top of the call and a touch. So it took forever, two stupid reviews that should never have happened. This experiment is a complete joke and is making MLB look stupid. When was the last time you saw two missed base appeals in the same game at the pro level?

On this one, they did put the ball in play and then threw over to appeal, which U2 safed.  Then they went to IR which confirmed the call.  But the first one you mention was not handled properly (unless they appealed while the ball was live and it just wasn't shown on the broadcast.)  They spent quite a while showing replays of the catch, and the announcers talking out their ass about "did he hold it long enough for it to be a catch?".  There could have been a live ball appeal at that time that just wasn't shown to the viewers at home.

Did you notice the smirk on the manager's face after the second appeal? I also think he might be trying to make a point.

I went back to the recording and I'm pretty sure there was a live ball appeal at third base following the catch/drop on the transfer in the bottom of the 5th.  After the ball is thrown to the infield, F6 is standing with it and you can hear someone in the background saying "throw it to third".  F6 then turns towards towards third as if to throw and then they begin showing the catch over and over.  By the time they get back to live action, time had already been called and the the coach had already asked for the IR review.

It was bad TV, but handled properly on the field.