A list of Equipment For Umpires That Went Down in Flames

jkumpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3878 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Gentlemen,

After a post about the ancient Honigs lighted clock indicator, it got me to thinking about the great fails in umpire equipment, be they good ideas gone bad, failed products that didn't work, or Monster errors by Equipment makers. Here are a few to start, please add to the list:

1. Honig's black leather ball bags: cheap leather, butt of jokes all over the internet.

2. Hook to hang mask off your belt.

3. Reach chest protectors, circa 1985, designed by Randy Marsh, and made by the wrong manufacturer.

4. +POS Accessory Bag, a tine blue nylon bag to put opposite your ball bag to put your brush, indicator, pencil, or something else, circa  1983 or 4. 

Have at it   

Braille Indicator or whatever it was called.  Might be from +POS.  Bumps on the wheels so you could tell the count, but it was very heavy.

Is this the one you're talking about?

http://store.sportswiseonline.com/all-star-4-dial-die-cast-metal-umpire-indicator.aspx?gclid=COGAr8jI-7gCFcme4AodRGQARw

If so, you're nuts!  I have this one and love it!

Most anything from OfficialsChoice.com now... It is sad, they make pretty good products, but have died down. Their website still says "Happy Thanksgiving!" even.. 

They are just getting ready for next Thanksgiving!

Honig's Polywools

Speaking of going down in flames, that would be your credibility.

Exactly.  After wearing those God-awful Davis pants for the last 7-8 years, I switched this year to the Polywools and could never imagine going back.

Braille Indicator or whatever it was called.  Might be from +POS.  Bumps on the wheels so you could tell the count, but it was very heavy.

Is this the one you're talking about?

http://store.sportswiseonline.com/all-star-4-dial-die-cast-metal-umpire-indicator.aspx?gclid=COGAr8jI-7gCFcme4AodRGQARw

If so, you're nuts!  I have this one and love it!

That would explain a lot. :)

Tanel 360 Plate Shoes – USA-designed, nice product, lost steam and never got produced again.

Rawlings LWXM-LP – So shallow and low-profile of a mask, your nose stuck out the eye slit.

Most anything from OfficialsChoice.com now... It is sad, they make pretty good products, but have died down. Their website still says "Happy Thanksgiving!" even.. 

Completely disagree.  TheOfficialsChoice.com had exactly what they advertised cheap, reasonable quality shirts.  I think my summer partner and I have 8 apiece.

Very interersting so far, I had thought of the SUL mask too, but I was trying to find more obscure and humerous stuff.

Here is one of more recent vintage, the dedicated Lineup card holder., a thick piece of vinyl covered plastic that was long enough for an MLB lineup card, with two clear platic pieces on it to put the lineup card under and keep them in place, usually covering the #4-7 hitters in the lineup. It ended up being too thick for most ball bags and too inconvenient for most people to use.