Officiating other sports

BigUmpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3487 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I know I'm late to the party- I frequent basketball forums almost exclusivley during the colder months. I also officiate basketball. It is my main sport. Baseball has fewer opportunities and to me isn't quite as enjoyable.

There is also considerablly more high calibre basketball around here to officate then there is baseball.

Basketball is much more organized and focused on development in these parts. For example, a 3 day camp in the summer, biweekly meetings every week from the 2nd week of September through to the exam in November. Our meetings are also held in conjunction with a local HS teams practice. The newer officials ref their scrimmage while more seasoned and accomplished guys offer feedback. With baseball- I pay 45 bucks and once every 3 years i go to a clinic and the other 2 years I write an online test and violia I'm certified to officiate the highest level of baseball in the province.

Basketball is much more progressive. Years of going to camps and clinics and meetings and working HS and rep games before I got annointed as a college basketball official.

My high school basketball season just ended last Friday.  

My first college baseball game (already canceled) was supposed to be tomorrow.  Have a DH scheduled for Sunday, but there's fresh snow on the ground now.  Haven't even brought my gear/clothing up from the basement.  I'm hoping for another cancellation, to be quite honest.  I need a week off. :D

I'm going to a college football clinic the first weekend of April.

And so it goes.  I love quite a bit about umpiring baseball, but I'll be the first to admit that my passion for it isn't what it is for the other sports at the moment.  A lot of it has to do with the notion of freezing outside working games in bad weather.  Almost to the point where I'd rather let others do that.

• 5 months later...

I currently work 4 sports (baseball-10 years, basketball-6 years, softball-10 years, and volleyball-first season.)  I like each sport for different reasons, but my first love is baseball. (Others than SWMBO)  I've played baseball through high school and started umpiring while still there, and just love the game.  I make it a point to try to learn something new every time I step on the field (or court).   Softball I enjoy because it's a little quicker and the girls seem to hustle a lot more than baseball players.  Basketball, I enjoy the challenge, exercise, interactions with players and coaches, but mostly the atmosphere.  To me, you can't beat the energy that's inside a packed gym for a varsity game between two teams that can't stand each other.  Volleyball is a nice change of pace, in an air-conditioned gym, but like others have said, two varsity or JV teams can make it really tough.  

I referee football and baseball. I played both all my life and still love it. With football, the shoes are about the same as baseball, and the uniform cost are about equal. Smitty is the big supplier of football referee uniforms. Currently I am working fall league baseball on monday and friday nights, middle school football on Tuesday or Thursday, depending on the schedule, and little league football on Saturday. 

I also do basketball.  Different animal than baseball.  You are constantly making decisions on the floor, especially contact situation where you must determine advantage/disadvantage.  I think that a feel for the game is much more important in basketball because of the flow of the game.  In baseball, you have more of see-it/call-it.  In basketball, you see it, then have to decide if its worth putting air in the whistle, based upon how the game has evolved up to that point. A whole lot more discretion involved every trip down the floor with your decision-making. I have a ton of respect for the guys in the major D-1 conferences that do it every night. The parallel is in game management.  The same techniques I use on the baseball field transition very well over to the court.