obstruction call

Umpiresoftball
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3888 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This is under babe ruth softball i just want to make sure i get the call right or if didn't fix next time.

7.06 When obstruction occurs, the umpire shall call or signal "Obstruction"

(a) If a play is being made on the obstructed runner, or if the batter-runner is obstruction before she touchs first base, the ball dead all runner shall advance,without liability to be put out,  to the base they would have reach, in umpires judgement, If there had been no obstruction. The obstructed  runner shall be awarded at least one base beyond she had last legally touch before the obstruction. Any Preceding runner, Force to advance  by the award of bases as the plenty for obstruction, without liablitity to be put out.

So what happen was this

Batter-runner running to first base  fielder comes of the bag in between both bags i said obustrtion and awarded first base. she would of only reach that. there was a runner on third but she didn't need to go.(she scored i believe but i was not sure if that would count or have to send her back)

So what ruling would that be? Once obstruction  is called the ball is dead.

Unless the R3 scored before you killed it on the OBS then your gonna have to put her back on third.  Short basepaths for SB though so I guess it could happen, as Michael said though with the OBS before 1st kill it and award 1b, put R3 wherever she was when time was called.

• Like 1

Unless the R3 scored before you killed it on the OBS then your gonna have to put her back on third.  Short basepaths for SB though so I guess it could happen, as Michael said though with the OBS before 1st kill it and award 1b, put R3 wherever she was when time was called.

I really don't know if she scored before or after obs so i let them keep score though. 

Obstruction before first, kill it and award first.

Did just that, she went to second but i sent her back to first.

If you thought R3 would have scored given no obstruction then you can award R3 home.

(a) If a play is being made on the obstructed runner, or if the batter-runner is obstructed
before he touches first base, the ball is dead and all runners shall advance, without
liability to be put out, to the bases they would have reached, in the umpire’s judgment,
if there had been no obstruction.

• Like 1

Can you explain what happened that convinced you to call OBS?

Thanks......

Tim.

Batter-runner had to litterly run over the fielder to get to first base bag. the fielder was littlerly right in the middle of first base and safety bag base

Did the field have the ball in his possession?

Pete right it was a her :P But first baseman/women  had the ball in right in the runners way to safety bag and white bag.

If F3 had the ball then there can be no obstruction.

How i need more information on this.  When you block the base path of a runner  that OBS

Think of it this way: Play at the plate, where the catcher has the ball well ahead of the runner, so much so that the runner will either give up and just be tagged, or will try to run the catcher over to knock the ball loose. Are you going to call obstruction there? No, because the catcher is doing the exact right thing by not letting the runner get past him to the plate.

There might be an exception with a particular rule set involving the use of the safety bag - which I'm assuming is essentially just a double base for 1B, with the "extra" base in foul territory for the BR to use to avoid collisions, trips, stepping on ankles, etc - or a local rule that does, but ordinarily if F3 has the ball, or is in the act of fielding it (eg bad throw draws F3 over the base and/or into the running lane as BR is getting to the base) there wouldn't be obstruction there.

• Like 1

afaber,

Under all three codes (i.e., OBR, NCAA, & FED) the fielder is not liable to an obstruction call if he is in possession of the ball.

Under FED rules, being "in the act of fielding" does not relieve a fielder of his liability for obstruction as it does in OBR & NCAA.

JM

• Like 1

How i need more information on this.  When you block the base path of a runner  that OBS

This is from rule 2.00 in OBR.  I would think that the softball rules would have the same definition but look it up.

OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

• Like 1

Think of it this way: Play at the plate, where the catcher has the ball well ahead of the runner, so much so that the runner will either give up and just be tagged, or will try to run the catcher over to knock the ball loose. Are you going to call obstruction there? No, because the catcher is doing the exact right thing by not letting the runner get past him to the plate.

There might be an exception with a particular rule set involving the use of the safety bag - which I'm assuming is essentially just a double base for 1B, with the "extra" base in foul territory for the BR to use to avoid collisions, trips, stepping on ankles, etc - or a local rule that does, but ordinarily if F3 has the ball, or is in the act of fielding it (eg bad throw draws F3 over the base and/or into the running lane as BR is getting to the base) there wouldn't be obstruction there.

Under the rules if the runner makes contact and by the judgement of the umpire she/he would be ejected for contact if ment to hit the person.  But that still totally different senrio of what happen. I still have issues with the catcher seriously blocking the plate without the ball in rec <_<

Under the rules if the runner makes contact and by the judgement of the umpire she/he would be ejected for contact if ment to hit the person.  But that still totally different senrio of what happen. I still have issues with the catcher seriously blocking the plate without the ball in rec <_<

Whatever level its in, if the catcher's blocking the plate at all without the ball, then obstruction should be called. Obviously a runner needs to be somewhere in the vicinity as well to make the call, but you know what I mean...

It'll take me a while to find it again, and its late here so I'm not going to try now, but there was a clip someone posted here in the last week or so to do with a different topic, catcher's standing stretched out in front of the plate with one foot on the plate almost like a first baseman. Runner comes in - standing up I think - and initially misses the plate. In the clip you see the plate umpire point at the catcher presumably calling obstruction, because two seconds later he signals safe as the runner turns around and steps on the plate. During the whole thing the ball never got to the plate.

Whatever level its in, if the catcher's blocking the plate at all without the ball, then obstruction should be called.

This statement is incorrect.  OBR-based leagues allow for a fielder to be in the act of fielding the ball and not be liable to be called for obstruction.

Example:  F2 is set up legally in front of the plate (by in front, I mean between the plate and the mound - not blocking access to the plate for the runner).  Runner is bearing down towards the plate as the throw comes in from the cutoff man.  The throw takes F2 to his left, into the runner's path, and there is a collision before F2 receives the ball and before the runner reaches the plate.  In OBR, this is not obstruction.

• Like 3