2014 Fed Rule changes

mw94
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3751 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am getting ready to get a better phone, hopefully one that won't give me such weird auto corrects. But it will handle carrying manuals on my phone better. I plan to get the latest Commando or a Galaxy S4.
Get the new iPhone

I am getting ready to get a better phone, hopefully one that won't give me such weird auto corrects. But it will handle carrying manuals on my phone better. I plan to get the latest Commando or a Galaxy S4.
Get the new iPhone

:wow:  NEVER! Blasphemy!  :hi5:

• Like 2

Get the new iPhone

I had the first 5 iPhones.  This past September, I ignored the iPhone 5 and bought a Galaxy S3 since Apple decided that wider screens were not important.  I'll never go back.

When the Note 3 is released this month, I'll be buying one the first day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried to use this link. I successsfully logged into my arbiter account, but it said that I did not have authorization to those documents. I also logged into my NFHS account, but I only have a free login registration type account. This is probably a stupid question, but do you have to have a paid membership account to NFHS to get Fed Rule/Case book access? Is the web member dues ($25) what is required?  TIA

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to interfere with the discussion about wasting money on a smart phone....

Now I am confused what FED wants on backswing interference. Are they really saying any backswing interference is INF on the Batter, or only backswing interference if F2 is making a play. In other words what do the words 'which hinders action at home plate' really mean?

Backswing is basically interference

Really?

It is if Fed defines it that way, but its not clear in the rule. So now a routine 2-1 pitch with nobody on that the BR swings hard at, misses and hits F2 on the back of the hand at the end of ther swing is now INF and an out? Not good in my book.

Backswing is basically interference

Really?

It is if Fed defines it that way, but its not clear in the rule. So now a routine 2-1 pitch with nobody on that the BR swings hard at, misses and hits F2 on the back of the hand at the end of ther swing is now INF and an out? Not good in my book.

The rule change where batter backswing was added to the criteria for interference is when F2 is fielding or throwing (7.3.5). Look at the other 7.3.5 interference criteria...the criteria is only used when there is a play on. Ex, it is not interference if a batter leans over the plate with no runners on base, it is only interference when B is leaning over HP and interfers with F2 making a play.

So this additional criteria (which I think is already given in 7.3.5© is only for when there is a play being made. If F2 gets hit with a backswing on that 2-1 pitch with no runners on base, it is nothing more than a Time call to check on F2's condition.

• Like 2

Here is what Fed said about it earlier... from http://www.nfhs.org/content.aspx?id=9303

The committee voted to added “including backswing interference†to Rule 7-3-5c to address that specific type of batter interference. The rule now reads, “A batter shall not interfere with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by making any other movement, including backswing interference, which hinders action at home plate or the catcher’s attempt to play on a runner.

I believe the Fed is only clarifying an OBR rule difference where B's backswing hits F2 is not interference.

OBR 6.06-c comment...If a batter strikes at a ball and misses and swings so hard he carries the bat all the way around and, in the umpire’s judgment, unintentionally hits the catcher or the ball in back of him on the backswing, it shall be called a strike only (not interference). I believe NCAA is the same as OBR.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my books last night and the only rules changes are:

6-1-3:  Added "and parallel" to the requirement for the pivot foot in the set position. - This should help clarify the discussions about the hybrid position that we had last year.

7-3-5c:  Added "including backswing interference" in the definition of BI.  Clarifies something we all knew already?

• 1 month later...

Not the base rule book but the NFHS 2014 Rules By Topic with caseplays is out if you want a hard copy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1582082316/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1582082316&linkCode=as2&tag=hubpages05ec-20

I have this book and I really like it.

www.nfhs.arbitersports.com   if your association uses arbiter, you can access this the 2014 rule and case book for free.  

We just switched to ZebraWare...not sure why?  I liked the added content on Arbiter such as this.

www.nfhs.arbitersports.com   if your association uses arbiter, you can access this the 2014 rule and case book for free.

We just switched to ZebraWare...not sure why?  I liked the added content on Arbiter such as this.

I can still log in and view all the NFHS stuff. I paid the $25 a couple of years ago but not since.